You are here

Sipping the Eurorack Kool-Aid -- first module incoming!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Sipping the Eurorack Kool-Aid -- first module incoming!

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Update: Clockable LFO is now in the skiff. :tongue: [It's a WMD/SSF ModBox]

I now have 8 modules: five of them are utility modules (mult, LFO, function generator, Disting, amplifier/attenuator) and three of them are a single synth voice (oscillator, VCA, filter).

I "need" two more utility modules and then my skiff will be in very good shape, indeed -- a Turing Machine and a Quantizer. For the Quantizer, I may either get a stand alone unit or splash on a second Disting; not decided yet, and am not in a hurry so I have the luxury of saving up whilst I look over the options. For the Turing Machine, I will start with something very simple like the 2hp Turing module. With a single Turing Machine, Disting, and the Function along with the three synth voices I have available (Moog, Arturia, Studio Electronics) I will definitely have enough to get started with especially when you start working with delay and reverb, layered polysynths, and the five step sequencers I have.

I have no idea how much of this project is going to be generative/random but I would like to at least have the option available.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun May 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Update: Okay, so whilst I haven't fully quaffed of the eurorack Kool-Aid, I've certainly done more than take a sip. :tongue:

I am just about out of room on the Make Noise skiff and it sounds pretty awesome, I must say. (Not that I can necessarily do awesome things with it just yet, but the basic sounds it makes are certainly awesome.) It's possible to get an entire universe of sounds with just the eurorack skiff, the Mother-32, and some reverb/delay. Trippy stuff!

The skiff has evolved into more of a self-generative synth than a complex waveform sound machine -- the emphasis being more on function generation, logic (programming logic, not logic on my part lol) and randomness.

Perhaps the two most used and most enjoyable modules in the skiff are the Make Noise Function and Mutable Instruments Branches. Function is (essentially) an self-oscillating envelope generator that outputs a trigger when it reaches End of Rise or End of Cycle simultaneous with a positive and negative version of the envelope. So a single Function can affect multiple modules or multiple parameters on s single module in and of itself.

Branches is a wonderful random digital signal switch; it takes a trigger in and randomly outputs it to one of four outputs. The fun starts when you feed it back into itself (not unlike the Function) to create complex and/or/xor logic functions.

All in all, great fun. I am learning a huge amount about old school (electromechanical) programming, logic circuits, and electricity/psycho acoustics in general.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sun May 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Excellent! We'll expect at least a few audio demos in due course, to hear how you're getting on then Ben 8-)

I'm a great believer in Mutable Insturments products, ever since I bought my MI Shruthi monosynth.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu May 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Excellent! We'll expect at least a few audio demos in due course, to hear how you're getting on then Ben 8-)
I feel like I am still finding my 'voice' in terms of how I am going to use the modular to make actual music ... but as my other stuff (prog rock) has a lot of soundtrack/soundscape elements, this seems almost ready-made to handle those duties. If all goes to plan, the current piece I am working on as a live performative patch will actually see light of day and I will gladly post links!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:If all goes to plan, the current piece I am working on as a live performative patch will actually see light of day and I will gladly post links!

Looking forward to it! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Whelp, you asked for it. :D

Here's my first play through of the first piece in its entirety. A few clams, but this is totally live.

The audio is the 2-track out from my mixer into a Tascam DR-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFslASLyhKY&t=1228s
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Definitely have a like from me :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Thanks!!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:57 pm

Nice work, and atmospheric too! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 am

Really enjoyed that! :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks, Martin and Elf! Gives me some degree of confidence that I might actually be able to pull this off live!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:Gives me some degree of confidence that I might actually be able to pull this off live!

As the actress said to the bishop?

(gets coat and leaves rapidly... :beamup: )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:Gives me some degree of confidence that I might actually be able to pull this off live!

As the actress said to the bishop?

(gets coat and leaves rapidly... :beamup: )

Martin
:D
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks to a video by Ned Rush, I was led down a very interesting rabbit hole of exploration last night. I don’t know what to call this besides rhythmic quantization: using a function generator to create wave shapes sampled by a sample and hold. The result is a really cool rhythmic sequence of notes.

Modules used: Make Noise Function (wave shape) and Dynamix (LPF and VCA), WMD Modbox (sample & hold, modulation for VCO, VC for Disting panning), Boomstar Oscillation (square and triangle waves), Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4 (auto pan).

Link: Rhythmic Quantizer
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Another month gone by and my modular universe expands just a bit more. Finally got a ‘proper’ set of VCAs in the form of a Make Noise Dynamix; it’s a stellar VCA/LPG/envelope follower/mixer. This opened up my function generator to do more actual functions.

The only other addition was a Pluck by 2hp. It’s a single Karplus-Strong voice and I absolutely love it!

Now I actually feel like a definite ‘sound’ is emerging from this ragtag collection of faceplates and circuit boards. The challenge still remains to make some music with it that I feel is worthy of an actual release. It’s close, I have a few pieces of scrap ... now to sew it together into a cloak of electronical fabulousness! :tongue:
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:The only other addition was a Pluck by 2hp. It’s a single Karplus-Strong voice and I absolutely love it!

Now I actually feel like a definite ‘sound’ is emerging from this ragtag collection of faceplates and circuit boards. The challenge still remains to make some music with it that I feel is worthy of an actual release. It’s close, I have a few pieces of scrap ... now to sew it together into a cloak of electronical fabulousness! :tongue:

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with Ben, and particularly how this Karplus-Strong module contributes to the whole affair 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks, Martin. :)

I am meeting up with a singer friend tomorrow; hopefully we will be experimenting together soon...
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:11 am

A small update: made one small addition to my rack and we have had two rehearsals with my current setup. Including the addition, my rack now includes:

Pamela's Workout (latest addition; it's the v1 but it was at a great price)
Moog Mother-32
Boomstar Oscillation
Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4
2hp Turing Machine
2hp Pluck
Erica Synths Pico Drum
Make Noise Function
Make Noise Dynamix
Mutable Instruments Branches
WMD/SSF Modbox

Those are the main modules, plus a couple of utility modules (mults, sequential switch).

Having a dedicated clock with multiple programmable outputs has made my life SO MUCH easier!

As for the rehearsals, the piece that's developing is going quite well. Right now it has electric guitar, electric bass, modular synth, and a stand alone synth. Sounds quite large for only 3 people!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:09 pm

Sounds good Ben - as I mentioned before, looking forward to hearing some audio in due course :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 am

Here's a quick sketch of a generative patch that is going to be part of a much larger piece... I am very happy with the way this sounds on its own, really looking forward to hearing what everyone in the band will add to it!

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting ... t-3-sketch

This was done using Pamela's Workout as the master clock. From there it goes to a Korg SQ-1. The SQ-1 is feeding v/o to the Quantimator, gate to the Pluck's trigger input. The three outputs of the Quantimator are going into a passive mult which is acting as a combiner and then going to the v/o of the Pluck. The output is going to a Make Noise Dynamix. For the drums, Pam's Workout is feeding two triggers to a Pico Drums module. The Pluck then goes into a TC Electronic Prophet delay before going to the desk. The damping on the Pluck is changed on occasion by a Mutable Instruments Branches.
Ben Asaro
Regular

PreviousNext