You are here

vcv rack

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

vcv rack

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Ben Asaro posted a link to this in the 'how to recreate...' thread and I'd not seen it before.

https://vcvrack.com/

Wow!

A free, open source modular synth with a bunch of interesting modules. The Mutable modules alone have an amazing reputation and there is a whole load of modules already available. Plus, with it being open source, there should be a good framework for coders. Exciting times all round methinks.

If you've ever wondered about whether or not to take the plunge into modular synths (it can be daunting) then this might be an excellent way to do a dry run and see what it's all about. I'm pretty confident that anyone who starts playing with it will either take to it and get a euro-rack or realise that it's not their bag without wasting cash. Win win, I'd say

Cheers for the link Ben!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: vcv rack

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Glad to be of service! :D
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Seems very flaky and inconsistent... maybe I'll come back to it when it's matured a bit. I couldn't consistently get multiple cables from one output - sometimes it works, sometimes it worked with the option key, and then other times it won't work no matter what I do - all on the same output socket... :headbang:

Having said that, with modulars I always get frustrated that it takes so much work to get a note out of it, I just tend to prefer to more "complete" fixed architectures in general.

I do keep trying with modulars from time to time, hoping that I might change my view of them, so it's certainly worth a play.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Its quirkiness definitely seems to be in keeping with the modular aesthetic in general. :tongue:

I haven't checked yet, but can you select a stackable cable for patching? I believe there is a mixer or mult module you can use for multing.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm

It's pretty cool though, although for some reason the Core Audio output requires 90% of CPU load on my system...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:46 am

Cracked it - you need the Audible plugins as there is a distribution set in the 'multiples' module. You can take the output of, say, the incoming midi cv, and then distribute it to multiple VCO cv inputs. Coolio.

The 'bare bones' system does seem to be that, but things open up with the extra plugins. I'm rather liking the idea - I hope others look at building more modules. If I get into it enough, I might even start coding some. I'd like a sequencer with a cv input so that it works like the old Oberheim one - it might be fun to build it :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 am

Edit : already re-patched the sequencer to do what I want. This is too much fun - better get on with something else. I could lose hours on this...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Dave B wrote:Cracked it - you need the Audible plugins as there is a distribution set in the 'multiples' module. You can take the output of, say, the incoming midi cv, and then distribute it to multiple VCO cv inputs. Coolio.

Yes, I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about multiple cables from one output, which worked for a while, then didn't. I'm not sure the correct behaviour.

It looks like the plan is to have a store where you can buy additional software modules for the VCV format.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:29 pm

I couldn't get multiple cables to patch into a single point - it just didn't work for me. FWIW, I'm on v0.3.1 - probably the same build but just in case..

I just hope it carries on being open source. I'm happy to pay for hardware, but, given that the existing modules are pretty darned good already, I'm not sure that people would want to pay for software modules.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Dave B wrote:I couldn't get multiple cables to patch into a single point - it just didn't work for me.

No, I was referring to multiple cables coming from one *output*, which did work in some cases, and then didn't, all on the same output - not multiple cables connected to one input...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:42 pm

yep - that's what I'm talking about too.

Stop violently agreeing with me!!! :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby desmond » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Dave B wrote:Stop violently agreeing with me!!! :)

Ok! Er... I won't!! :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:18 pm

You guys should look at Wren: http://bluehell.electro-music.com/wren/

It's by a mate of mine Jan who is a bit of a Nord G2 expert, you might see some similarities.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:55 am

Just re-posting from elsewhere - apparently the 'multiple cables in a patch point' thing is now on the dev roadmap and should be coming along in time.

Which is nice...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby desmond » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks Dave - also Autodafe has some nice extra modules, including LFO's, modified sequencers and other cool stuff.

https://www.autodafe.net/virtual-instruments/vcv-rack-modules.html

Well worth adding to your VCV rack...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Ooh - is the vcv rack getting any more stable? :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 pm

... and the add-ons for this system keep coming! :thumbup:
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:10 am

Sorry Ben - are there more somewhere? I just looked at the homepage and didn't notice anything. Have I missed some?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi

Postby desmond » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:25 am

Dave B wrote:Sorry Ben - are there more somewhere? I just looked at the homepage and didn't notice anything. Have I missed some?

Yes, quite a few third parties are making vivid modules now...
desmond
Jedi Poster