You are here

Can you remember it all??

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Can you remember it all??

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:40 am

Ouch, I missed this when first posted so a bit late, but here we go:

In pseudo-chronological order (near as I can recall but I'm hazy on a few). Hardware only (no softies).

* = I still own it
! = I'm selling it as part of my recent purge

Casio CZ1000
Yamaha DX9
Roland D10
Yamaha SY85 *
Korg Trinity *
Korg Z1
Korg Trinity plus with HDR *
Korg Triton Rack
Roland Fantom S (absolutely hated it, only owned it for 2 days)
Yamaha ES7 + PLG VH vocal harmony expansion * !
Yamaha S90 * !
Kurzweil K2500 + KDFX expansion * !
Yamaha XS8 * !
Korg Kingkorg *
Yamaha SY85 #2 *
Korg M3 (73 key) * !
Korg Radias Module *
Korg Kronos (88 key) *
Yamaha SY85 #3 *
Yamaha SY77 *
DSI Prophet 6 *
DSI OB-6 *
Korg Minilogue *
Roland TB-03
Moog Mother-32 *
Roland XV3080 (someone gave it to me for nothing) *
Arturia Matrixbrute *

There's a couple of old Yamaha PSR-type boards in the loft too but I don't count them.

Drum machines:
Roland TR707
Roland TR-8
Arturia Drumbrute *
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
The  man cave and some resulting works.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:57 am

BillB wrote:*KingKorg - swapped my AN1X for this - still very happy with the deal, this is one of the most under-rated synths ever.
Totally agree with you on this - the thing sounds gorgeous to me!

BillB wrote:Yamaha SY77 - statutory new disk drive and LED display - really looking forward to getting to know this one. A very deep synth.
I've had mine for a few years now, never really used it but bought it for peanuts on ebay because I'd always wanted one so badly back in the day. Needs a new LCD really (also, backlight is shot). I'll explore it more at some point. I got so much out of my DX9 (which was about as basic an FM synth as Yamaha did in the 80s) that I feel the SY77 should reward the effort!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:30 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:... I bought a Yamaha CS80 (yes, really) second hand from a studio in Taunton. That was the most fantastic synth and I loved it to bits, but I had to sell it because I didn't have enough space ...

I've read this, and re-read this about a dozen times and it still doesn't compute!

For a couple of years before I left home I had a very small bedroom (I was away most of the time at Uni). It contained a desk, Atari ST + monitor, separates hi-fi, and a double keyboard stand with a D10 and a borrowed Siel Cruise on it. My bed was in the shed in the garden and when I was home I'd share that space with the woodlice :D

The sequence of words my wife has used on me more times than any other is "where are you going to put it?" yeah yeah, fnahh fnahh, I know...!

My response has always been "Have faith" ... and to be fair, thus far it's worked out just fine ... ish ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:53 am

Oops... in my previous list I forgot to include:

Korg Triton
Yamaha Motif (earliest version)

Roland TD-6K
Roland TD-8 (still have this)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:58 am

Chevytraveller wrote:JWM Thunderchild

You are now my new official hero. How the hell did you get your stickies on one of those???

Oh .. and didn't you have a Korg Z1 as well..?

;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Never heard of the JWM Thunderchild - looks interesting !

I guess, I should update my aquisitions since my previous post :blush:

Novation KS Rack
Arturia beatstep Pro
Yamaha CS-30L
Kenton Pro Solo
Deepmind 12

theres only one more synth I need ... honest ;)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:19 pm

I do recall an advert for the Thunderchild back in the 70s. IIRC it was purported to be used on WOTW, but I also heard from a good source that all of the Thunderchild's parts were actually replaced with CS-80 before the final mixes?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Chevytraveller » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:17 pm

The Elf wrote:
Chevytraveller wrote:... and nope, never owned a Moog
Or a Kawai K1.

Tch, beginner... :roll: :lol:

I had used the K1 enough at work and at the studio enough to know I didn't want one.. ;)
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby Chevytraveller » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Dave B wrote:
Chevytraveller wrote:JWM Thunderchild

You are now my new official hero. How the hell did you get your stickies on one of those???

Oh .. and didn't you have a Korg Z1 as well..?

;)

Oh yes.. I forgot about the Z1.. and the Roland JP8000 and the Nords.. dementia is clearly setting in...

I bought the Thunderchild along with the Emulator I for the princely sum of £350!.. it was a very rare beast indeed, I think they only made 10 with the idea of going into production but it never happened.. Mine was number 006..
Curious little beast with a transducer speaker.. developed with Ken Freeman I think..

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Chevytraveller wrote:I had used the K1 enough at work and at the studio enough to know I didn't want one.. ;)
How very dare you!?!? :protest:

I was beginning to like you, too... :tongue: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:42 pm

OK you got me ! :blush:

Created on : 01/04/2013 :bouncy:
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Bendy Carlos » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Well, I think I've remembered it all....

Akai S950
Akai S3000XL
Alesis MMT8
ARP Odyssey *
Casio CZ101
Casio VL-1
Casio MT68
Casio PT30
Casio FZ1
EDP Wasp *
Elektor Formant modular *
Elka Rhapsody
Emu Vintage Keys Plus
Korg MS20
Korg MS20 Mini *
Korg EX800
Korg Monotron Duo *
Korg R3 *
Korg Volca Beats *
Korg DDM110
Korg SQ1 *
Moog Prodigy
Novation Super Bass Station
Novation A Station
Oberheim Matrix 1000 *
OSCar *
Roland CR68 *
Roland CR8000 *
Roland TR77 *
Roland TR626
Roland MC202 *
Roland SH101
Roland Jupiter 4 *
Roland Juno 6
Roland JX3P
Roland S10
Roland System 500 *
Sequential Multitrack
Stylophone *
Yamaha CS5
Yamaha RX21
Yamaha RX21L

(the ones with asterixes are items I still own)
Bendy Carlos
Regular

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:44 pm

The Elf wrote:
Chevytraveller wrote:I had used the K1 enough at work and at the studio enough to know I didn't want one.. ;)
How very dare you!?!? :protest:

I don't know why people liked them. Had one, used it to death. A terrible synth, no filter at all, the single waveforms were useless unless you wanted unfiltered grungy thin digital nastiness. It had a few (like, ten or so) useable 8-bit samples but all sounds using them sounded the same (no filters, remember) so it used up it's usefullness fairly quickly.

It was what you got it you wanted a D50 but only had a quarter of the money, because it has that one chiffy airy sample. Multitimbral, which was a plus back then, so you could do layers (and delayed layers) but otherwise...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:53 pm

It's all about layering, mate. The K1 on its own sounds pathetic, but layer it with other synths and... magic happens! Try something like an analogue string pad on a decent synth - sounds fine-ish. Now sneak a K1 string into the mix - heaven! Same principle as the new Prophet X, I suppose.

It's one of those things you have to hear for yourself. Maybe I should make up a couple of examples...

Yep, the K1 is pretty duff on its own. I bought and sold a K1R before I realised this trick. Now I have to borrow one when I can. I really should land one of my own.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:01 pm

I did like the string sounds on the K1 (I also had a K1r, bought from my local music shop - although I had to return the first one, as all the sounds had reversed cymbals in them - seriously, I'd pick a string preset, and I'd get reversed cymbals in there. Something seriously wrong in the wave chips, I think!)

It was great as an inexpensive way to expand a MIDI setup (in a similar way to something like a D110 or Proteus) but I don't miss it. Although I kind of regret not sampling some of the sounds before selling it on, just to be able to recreate some old stuff.

K1 modules are very popular in the MIDI accordion world, apparently. That's where mine went, poor little thing... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Eddy, no criticism from a fellow synth obsessive, but I am curious. What do you do with three SY85s and an SY77 which (I have read) contains the AWM equivalent of an SY85?
I mean, that adds up to SY340! 8-)
BillB
Regular

Postby BillB » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 pm

The Elf wrote:Now sneak a K1 string into the mix - heaven!
Elf, do you think there is something particular about the K1 sound / frequency spectrum, or could this approach apply to the combination of digitally generated waves (eg FM) with analogue strings?
BillB
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:43 pm

BillB wrote:Eddy, no criticism from a fellow synth obsessive, but I am curious. What do you do with three SY85s and an SY77 which (I have read) contains the AWM equivalent of an SY85?
I mean, that adds up to SY340! 8-)

Heh fair question.

The SY77 I bought mainly for its FM capabilities - I have no interest in the AWM waveforms unless they are used as operators in an FM sound. It came out when I was 19 (and a poor student) and I lusted after one so much it hurt, so when one popped up on ebay a few years ago for £150 or so, it was a no-brainer. I'd have bought it just to own it. As it happens, the FM sounds it makes are pretty darn useful so it has a place in my current setup.

I bought my first SY85 for £1500 as soon as they came out. I got it on HP and paid it off using the money I earned gigging with it. That board still works just fine (Yamaha even upgraded the motherboard in it for free for me back in the day, as I reported a bug in the OS they didn't know about).

The SY85 is, in my opinion, the most under-estimated digital synthesizer ever made. The filters sound absolutely amazing and it's capable of absolutely huge sounds. The fact it's got the build quality of a tank while remaining portable is a bonus.

As real-world examples of the thing in use:

• The big fat breathy string-like pad and the distorted lead synth in the intro to https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/01-chasing-rainbows are recorded 'as is' straight from the SY85
  • That same pad is used extensively in the background to my contribution to the Parting Glass project as well https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/the- ... laboration (the further you go into the track, the more pronounced it is, and it's an absolutely gorgeous sound to my ears)
  • 99% of this track is a straight direct-to-stero recording from the SY85 sequencer: https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/a-touch-of-class (the only part that isn't is the harpsichord in the last few bars of the end section)
  • The track https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/raven is 100% a direct-to-stereo recording of the the SY85's onboard sequencer (the fidelity of the recording isn't that wonderful, but that's not the SY85s fault). Even the guitar part is the SY85. Recorded in Replay 16 on the Atari ST and transferred to the 4Mb sample RAM over MIDI (it took ages to transfer!), then played as a drumkit with guitar samples on each key IIRC.

I bought the second SY85 many years later for £300 from one of those 'we resell junk you don't want any more' shops in case my original ever stopped working, and I was given the 3rd for nothing because word got around how much I revere them :D

I've little doubt I'll end up with a 4th at some point. Probably more too :tongue:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:[*]99% of this track is a straight direct-to-stero recording from the SY85 sequencer: https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/a-touch-of-class (the only part that isn't is the harpsichord in the last few bars of the end section)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Somewhat randomly, can anyone else tell from the mouth shape that the person in Martin's gif (I know not who it is) is pronouncing the last word 'gaaaad'?
It struck me straightaway and now I'm strangely fascinated.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext