You are here

Crumar Bit 99 Synthesiser - Prices on the Up?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Crumar Bit 99 Synthesiser - Prices on the Up?

Postby Heading West » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Reason for post is two-fold:

1 On the rare occasion that these have come up for sale over the last few years I’ve noticed that prices are rising - around £500-750 now....even for faulty ones.
2 I’ve got one that’s been in storage since the mid-nineties which is fully working and in good condition - it’s going to waste however so time to sell.

Anyone got one or who knows more about them or is prepared to give an ‘informed’ valuation? From what I gather it had analogue circuitry but was one of the first 80’s synths to use minimal buttons to input functions etc - an Italian 106 but without the kudos or better user interface!

I always found it to be powerful and particularly good for bass lines.

Any comments welcome
Heading West
Regular

Re: Crumar Bit 99 Synthesiser - Prices on the Up?

Postby resistorman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm

I am constantly amazed how many early polyphonic synths I never heard of keep surfacing! That’s a really nice sounding keyboard. Sorry, I have no idea what it’s worth :headbang:
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:37 pm

The Chase/Crumar bits were always a bit quirky. I had a friend back in the day who had a Bit 1 (the original).

The Bit 99 has a rack mount version, the Bit 01. It was a decent mid-range synth, DCO oscillators, some weird behaviour and features, but sounded decent at the time and you should be able to coax some interesting sounds out of it.

At the end of the day, it's analog vintage hardware, so prices will be high, and far higher than they are really worth, imo. It's not a full panel of knobs type synth, which will reduce the price a bit as they aren't so intuitive to tweak.

Even synths back in the day that were *horrible* are going for ridiculous prices to people who don't know any better (you couldn't give away a Jen SX1000, for instance, or a Siel DK80, back then).

I think your ballpark figures are decent enough, list at the high end - if it doesn't sell, drop the price a bit and relist. It will go I'm sure.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Heading West » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks you two - keep the comments/info coming people!
Heading West
Regular