You are here

Looking for an alternative to a Boutique JU-06

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Looking for an alternative to a Boutique JU-06

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:58 pm

I am wondering if anyone makes anything similar to the JU-06 in terms of features and form factor; i.e., small chassis, polyphonic, digital synth that can fit into a back pack (portable).
Ben Asaro
Regular

Re: Looking for an alternative to a Boutique JU-06

Postby Escapegoat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Quite a few when you're exploring the smaller companies. This one intrigues me (but obviously lacks the one-control per parameter of the JU-06):
https://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:14 pm

Ah, yes, I remember that one! Will have to watch the video again.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Dan LB » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Escapegoat wrote:Quite a few when you're exploring the smaller companies. This one intrigues me (but obviously lacks the one-control per parameter of the JU-06):
https://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/

Got one recently. Can definitely recommend it :thumbup:

Here's a decent video walkthrough of the many features:
https://youtu.be/xqRYKnmBtNA
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 am

One of the best small polysynths(functions and sounding) is the Mutable Ambika.. They are still sold as kits, but you can find builders who will sell a finished unit if you don't fancy any soldering.

http://www.tubeohm.com/TubeOhm/AMBIKA.html

Available with different(Analogue) filter types and 6 part multi-timbral.. here's a video with the SMR4(Roland) voicecards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCjBZn2Nfkw

:mrgreen:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby resistorman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:20 am

I have an Ambika I built, and it's pretty damn cool, but it does not have sweet high frequency notes due to the limited bandwidth of the microprocessor setup. Tends to alias. I would call it a badass baritone and bass instrument. I bought a used Blofeld for $300, and it is a monster, though it needs tweaking to get the best sound out of it. Turn off the reverb on any preset, for instance...
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks for the input! I am leaning towards the Blofeld myself, gonna do some serious YouTube research over the next couple of weeks.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby BillB » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Guess what, Ben, Blofeld is nicely covered by the Patchbase editor 8-)
BillB
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:57 pm

The Pulse 2 currently has my attention. :)
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby BillB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Lovely mono, so not what the OP was looking for, but may suit you perfectly 8-)

A realisation I have come to recently which I offer as a recommendation to all with GAS: listen to MP3's of what you have got, listen to MP3s (perhaps extract from YouTube demos) of synths you want to own.

Then play them on random. From time to time tyou may say "Wow, that sounds great, I could really do with that synth!".

And like me, you may look at the MP3 name, and realise it is a synth you already have, but played by someone who just programs and plays it better :headbang:

Suprising how often my VAs stand up well in this crude 'blind test', against wanna-have vintage or analog synths like JX8P, DSI Pro8 etc.
BillB
Regular

Postby BillB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:03 am

Oops, sorry Ben, you are the OP! What happened to polyphonic?

Anyway, examples of fab (VA) recordings that make me glad to own a Blofeld:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfosO1Y0nds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NE9bj4sI2M

and lots of other goodies on YT
BillB
Regular

Postby resistorman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 am

BillB wrote:Guess what, Ben, Blofeld is nicely covered by the Patchbase editor 8-)

uh oh... looks good!
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby curlybob43 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:36 am

I had the same predicament. Love the Juno sound but I am not willing to pay £400 second hand for that product. Plenty of analog synths out there for that money. My suggestions would be check out the minilogue, Jx-03/jx3p, the Roland Alpha Juno 1/2 and if vst is acceptable the Tal-u-no-LX. Great plug in and sounds great routed to some stomp boxes.
curlybob43
Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 pm

BillB wrote:Oops, sorry Ben, you are the OP! What happened to polyphonic?
The Pulse 2 does do polyphonic ... or paraphonic, either of which will work of for me. :)
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm

curlybob43 wrote:I had the same predicament. Love the Juno sound but I am not willing to pay £400 second hand for that product. Plenty of analog synths out there for that money. My suggestions would be check out the minilogue, Jx-03/jx3p, the Roland Alpha Juno 1/2 and if vst is acceptable the Tal-u-no-LX. Great plug in and sounds great routed to some stomp boxes.
I also have my eye on the Minilogue, but its size may be an issue. The Yamaha Reface CS definitely looks like it ticks all the correct boxes!

My Youtube viewing is about to increase exponentially lol.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby BillB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Have fun, and don't forget the always excellent SOS reviews :geek:
BillB
Regular

Postby Steve A » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:38 pm

I didn't get a JU-06 as I already have a hardware Juno 60 but I did recently succumb to the new SH01a Boutique which although not a Juno is not a million miles away sound/architecture wise and unlike the original SH101, this one is polyphonic - it also has a great unison mode. The major thing it lacks compared to the JU is the Juno's characteristic chorus but you can always tackle that with outboard unless it's a deal breaker for you not to have it onboard. I never fancied the real SH101 and I have a fair amount of vintage Roland hardware already in my studio, yet I am surprised how much I am enjoying - and using - something as comparatively simple as the SH01a.
Steve A
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for the first hand experience!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi all, thanks for all of the food for thought! A quick update on the portable synth quest :

For this project we are using a JV-1080 which I purchased a 2U case for. Not the most portable thing but it allows the use of two Keysteps and a BeatStep Pro when in Performance mode.

I was very tempted to pick up a Kurzweil K2000r but it's just too big to rack and carry on the subway. I may get one next year to add to the studio, however.

I have been getting a lot of use from my Mother-32 and Eurorack skiff and live I am using the 101 Bass patch, stacked, which does a good approximation of the massive Moog bass.

On the portable side I started looking for gaps in my current setup and pulled the trigger on a Yamaha TX7 in mint condition at a great price, including flight case.

For the second poly I am torn between the SH-01 and the JP-08, but leaning towards the JP-08.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Dave B » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Zukan and I were admiring Chevytraveller's Mutable Akimba thingy just yesterday. It's a helluva box for the money and he bought his pre-built. It also as the advantage of being able to allocate voices to a part - so could happily have 4 voices of Roland for the poly synth idea, and, say, a moog and a multimode filter to make up the numbers and give you different flavours for sequences running. And it also has wavetables. Great box - I was very impressed.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Next