You are here

Modal Electronics Synths

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Modal Electronics Synths

Postby ad65 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi
Been a long time since I posted on here.
My question: Is there any reviews out there of the Modal Electronics 002 or 008?
Both these beasts look awesome and certainly sound good on YouTube, but I cannot find a proper review any where, why have SOS not reviewed these synths? I am puzzled.
Hope you Guys or Girls can shed some light.

Cheers.

Splash.
ad65
Poster
splash

Re: Modal Electronics Synths

Postby Dave B » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:40 pm

I have a dim recollection of asking Modal about reviews and, if I remember correctly, they were in the position of not having a spare model to go out for reviews - ask fast as they were making them, they were shipping them. This might have changed recently (I first played one a few years ago).

Remember that magazines like SOS rely on stuff being sent to them for review. On very rare occasions an established reviewer may review something that they themselves bought but it's very rare.

The modal synths are great - but very expensive. Basically, it's a case of 'if you like that sound and have the spare cash then go for it'. But it's a certain type of sound / synth and it's definitely not an impulse buy for most people.

I don't know where you're based, but Andertons carry them. And they've been at both Synthfests quite prominently.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby resistorman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Not that this helps, but there’s a review of the 001 over here:

http://greatsynthesizers.com/en/test/mo ... nic-synth/

If it had some real polyphony I’d be looking at that!
resistorman
Regular
future26.com

Postby feline1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 am

I spent a good 20 mins or so tootling on these at Musikmesse a couple of years ago, and chatting to their rep there.
I think they are excellent instruments, and to me they also feel properly *solid* like the vintage machines from the 70s and 80s that I own a dozen of, whereas most new synths these days feel very lightweight and plasticy.

I haven't yet had the cash (or space) to get one. I'd love to read an SoS review.

They have many novel features (e.g. Roli MPE support, firmware updates over Ethernet) as well as just bloody good implementations of classic synth features.
feline1
Frequent Poster (Level2)
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! http://www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Escapegoat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:13 pm

resistorman wrote:Not that this helps, but there’s a review of the 001 over here:

http://greatsynthesizers.com/en/test/mo ... nic-synth/

If it had some real polyphony I’d be looking at that!

Well, they already answered your call, because the 001 is a duo-phonic version of the 002. Same synth engine, more knobs, more polyphony.
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby ad65 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:16 pm

:thumbup: Thanks for the reply`s
Big help.
ad65
Poster
splash