You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:36 am

Also, the originals now don't sound like they first did, and they will all sound different to other originals. So if you make a mic based on someone's U47, then test it against another U47, then it will sound different and you'll get the panning (or at least a more professional 'close but no cigar') review that The Elf describes above.

Plus some components, such as the valves used, may no longer be made, or have compounds in that are now considered too poisonous to be used. So you have to make changes, and even small changes can make a big difference to the sound.

And some of the old manufacturing techniques simply can't be duplicated by robots, so you need labour intensive assembly, which makes things very expensive. Or else you change the way it gets put together so it can be robot assembled, and then you also change the sound a bit.

You can have a cheapish U47 sounding/looking mic, and which will work very well, but for many it won't 'be' a U47, so will ignore it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:40 am

Wonks wrote:Also, the originals now don't sound like they first did, and they will all sound different to other originals. So if you make a mic based on someone's U47, then test it against another U47, then it will sound different and you'll get the panning (or at least a more professional 'close but no cigar') review that The Elf describes above.

Plus some components, such as the valves used, may no longer be made, or have compounds in that are now considered too poisonous to be used. So you have to make changes, and even small changes can make a big difference to the sound.

And some of the old manufacturing techniques simply can't be duplicated by robots, so you need labour intensive assembly, which makes things very expensive. Or else you change the way it gets put together so it can be robot assembled, and then you also change the sound a bit.

You can have a cheapish U47 sounding/looking mic, and which will work very well, but for many it won't 'be' a U47, so will ignore it.

All of what you said is the reason why certain expensive mic's still sell, new, and the older ones demand such high prices, otherwise, people wouldn't need to buy them I guess.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:15 pm

Arpangel wrote:J...it's fairly straightforward to recreate a synth these days, but not microphones, because the technology is so precise and expensive to make in the first place, regarding good classic mic's

Were you not around in the 1990s to see what was coming out of China? :lol: or now with what comes out of the American 'boutique manufacturers'. You can't walk around NAMM without tripping over 'homages' to C12s, Elam251s, U67s, KM84s and all the rest...

If someone could make a convincing replica of a U47 for a fraction of the price it would sell like hot cakes, but that's never going to happen.

They do make convincing replicas, but they don't sell like hot cakes because a fraction of the price of an original is still many thousand dollars! ... and really... it just doesn't make that much difference to the recorded sound. :o
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:J...it's fairly straightforward to recreate a synth these days, but not microphones, because the technology is so precise and expensive to make in the first place, regarding good classic mic's

Were you not around in the 1990s to see what was coming out of China? :lol: or now with what comes out of the American 'boutique manufacturers'. You can't walk around NAMM without tripping over 'homages' to C12s, Elam251s, U67s, KM84s and all the rest...

If someone could make a convincing replica of a U47 for a fraction of the price it would sell like hot cakes, but that's never going to happen.

They do make convincing replicas, but they don't sell like hot cakes because a fraction of the price of an original is still many thousand dollars! ... and really... it just doesn't make that much difference to the recorded sound. :o

But just like cables have to be thick ones, playing in front of a Neumann badge definitely gives my performances a bit of extra mojo....

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:59 pm

I've had clients at 'the other place' who have told me they chose to work with me once they saw the 'N' badge on my mic's!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:40 pm

The Elf wrote:I've had clients at 'the other place' who have told me they chose to work with me once they saw the 'N' badge on my mic's!

Yes, and what can you say? It's also true that even though a project will probably be done mostly on a computer, it's still a big thing for a client to see a huge mixing desk, lots of outboard etc. My ultimate opinion on all this is that if you can afford a Neumann and don't even have to think about the price then why on earth should you not have one?
It applies to a lot of things, and also on our priorities.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Arpangel wrote:it's still a big thing for a client to see a huge mixing desk
I think we're kinda past that these days, though it can make a difference. Racked outboard still seems to impress.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:44 pm

As long as I have everything powered up with all the blinky lights going the client seems to think I have a lot of gear and also seems more satisfied even though I am in the box almost 100%.
Blinky lights rule!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:01 am

Just another thing, I did have a few of those cheap Chinese mic's that people were raving about, they were cheap that's why I bought them, but do I still have any of them now? no, they sounded awful to me. Some were/are better than others, and some are very good indeed, but at the beginning of all that things weren't good.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:17 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Blinky lights rule!

Amen to this. Those and faders that whizz around without you touching them are undoubtedly the best magic to impress the natives. Behringer understands this.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:Blinky lights rule!

Amen to this. Those and faders that whizz around without you touching them are undoubtedly the best magic to impress the natives. Behringer understands this.

CC

Meters too, lots of them, I think Behringer have overlooked a gap in the market, and I'm surprised, vintage mixers, how about a Harrison clone? or a Neve, or even an EMI RED?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Arpangel wrote:... or even an EMI RED?

Two D's in REDD -- it being an acronym for 'Recording Engineering Development Department'.

...in case you wanted to know... ;-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:04 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:... or even an EMI RED?

Two D's in REDD -- it being an acronym for 'Recording Engineering Development Department'.

...in case you wanted to know... ;-)

Cheers Hugh......

;)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:14 am

Some more updates to the thread.
Firstly it seems that Behringet/MT have registered some trademarks, possibly for some future products. These being, Pro-16, Pro-800, Logan, Monopoly, Prodigy, Source, Quadra. So take that as you will.

Lastly the first 1000 Pro-1's AND Crave's (thats 1000 of each) are being airfreighted to Thomann and should be available soon, although if you didn't pre order then I'm guessing you're going to have to wait a while longer as they are claiming the reason for airfreighting is due to the massive amount of pre-orders.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:20 am

DGL. wrote:Some more updates to the thread.
Firstly it seems that Behringet/MT have registered some trademarks, possibly for some future products. These being, Pro-16, Pro-800, Logan, Monopoly, Prodigy, Source, Quadra. So take that as you will.

Lastly the first 1000 Pro-1's AND Crave's (thats 1000 of each) are being airfreighted to Thomann and should be available soon, although if you didn't pre order then I'm guessing you're going to have to wait a while longer as they are claiming the reason for airfreighting is due to the massive amount of pre-orders.

This is all wonderful, I'll have a Prodigy and a Monopoly please.
If it carries on like this just imagine, if we bought all of these copies we could have our very own synth museums for the price of one vintage Mini Moog.

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby arkieboy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Arpangel wrote:I'll have a Prodigy and a Monopoly please

I have the Korg Digital Edition fully polyphonic Monopoly and I love it to bits. Has a zing and purity to it quite unlike my other plugins ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby DGL. » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Another minor update, someone over at gearslutz had to have his Odyssey replaced (broken AR slider) and the one that he received as a replacement had coloured LED's! :thumbup:
So it looks like coloured LED's are now what they are arriving with, mimicking (as far as I am aware) the original coloured slider caps.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:49 pm

DGL. wrote:Another minor update, someone over at gearslutz had to have his Odyssey replaced (broken AR slider) and the one that he received as a replacement had coloured LED's! :thumbup:
So it looks like coloured LED's are now what they are arriving with, mimicking (as far as I am aware) the original coloured slider caps.
...and I will be buying one of those - but I'll need to see it first!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:33 pm

The Elf wrote:...and I will be buying one of those - but I'll need to see it first!

Yep, you don't want to get LED astray do you? :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:15 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
The Elf wrote:...and I will be buying one of those - but I'll need to see it first!

Yep, you don't want to get LED astray do you? :beamup:

Martin
Yellow card! :smile:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Elf
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext