You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby desmond » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:41 pm

The first Behringer units I recall (and the first ones in the archive) were these ones, reviewed in Sound On Sound Jul 1990:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/behringer-studio-processors/7245

So I think that's where they made their start, commercially...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby DGL. » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:23 pm

New short video of the Poly D from their Japanese team, showing off some Emerson.
https://youtu.be/8oCUDMllU2o
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:24 am

New modular cases,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcFBFNd80CE

104 HP, 3 x 3A PSU.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:36 am

DGL. wrote:New modular cases

Interesting. The PSU is a weak link in a number of systems as cheap ones can result in audible noise in the system (according to one module manufacturer). So if Berry do the usual and use cheap power supplies, then they could be making a mistake here. I hope that they do a decent job of it, but will reserve judgement until a proper - technical - review is done...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby DGL. » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 am

Dave B wrote:
DGL. wrote:New modular cases

Interesting. The PSU is a weak link in a number of systems as cheap ones can result in audible noise in the system (according to one module manufacturer). So if Berry do the usual and use cheap power supplies, then they could be making a mistake here. I hope that they do a decent job of it, but will reserve judgement until a proper - technical - review is done...

All the PSU's I've got with my Behringer synths seem fine, they certinaly don't look or feel cheap. And proper AV supplies as well not IT equipment only ones.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 am

Dave B wrote:
DGL. wrote:New modular cases,/quote]

1 amp per section, 3 sections, that's not a lot of power for 2X 140hp.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:40 pm

And looks like behringer are quick on the feedback for this unit as they have already decided to switch from slide bolts to strips, no playing hunt the nut! Now that's listening to your customers!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:28 am

I'll leave this here,

Behringer FB wrote:"If you think we're done for the year..."
"...you better fasten your seat belt."
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 am

A choice of case sizes would be handy, along with maybe, some sort of "Modular" case system, that clips or bolts together, for future expansion, without having to buy a whole new case.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:04 am

First Poly-D's and WASP Deluxe synthesizers are being shipped from Thomann and are already in the hands of a lucky few so that adds another 2 synthesizers to the list of ones the Behringer have shipped this year, and immensely quick from tease to shipping esp. when compared to some of the other offerings.

Another thing that they are going to announce soon is their reverb like marketplace, where it (looking at the announcement/teasers) will be completely free to buy and sell gear, so free to list, and no commission to pay. It will just be seeing how they will do the payment side of things as I they use something like PayPal then there will still be commission to pay there.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:10 am

The trouble with all these new Behringer things is that they seem so appealing when I hear about them, but I never actually get around to buying any of them. It'll be interesting to see if this is the case when the 2600 comes out.
I don't know why this should be? I'll hazard a guess and say that it's a bit like anything cheap and very cheerful, it has less perceived value, or desirability than something more upmarket and exclusive, so I tend to think, oh well I'll get one at some point, they'll be around forever, and never do anything about it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:46 am

Arpangel wrote:The trouble with all these new Behringer things is that they seem so appealing when I hear about them, but I never actually get around to buying any of them. It'll be interesting to see if this is the case when the 2600 comes out.
I don't know why this should be? I'll hazard a guess and say that it's a bit like anything cheap and very cheerful, it has less perceived value, or desirability than something more upmarket and exclusive, so I tend to think, oh well I'll get one at some point, they'll be around forever, and never do anything about it.

I don't think they are worrying about 1 person not buying their synths as plenty of other people seem to be buying them :lol: , I certinaly think that the bigger keyboards like the VC340, Odyssey and Poly-D have more desirability as they are these large solid things that don't look like toys (even though the eurorack sized stuff still looks pretty great in my opinion, and the model d is immense.

I'm hoping what their doing with synths is exactly what they did with the digital mixer industry, made all the other manufacturers wake up and realise that charging what they think people are willing to pay is just doesn't work anymore, price is king and with the internet taking customers for a ride is no longer possible.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:41 am

And, their Poly aftertouch keybed is ready, and the Elf will be happy as it's 5 octaves.
Behringer FB wrote:We’re very proud to announce that we have successfully completed our Poly Aftertouch Keyboard design, which now paves the way for many exciting new products.
It was not a trivial engineering effort but the performance is truly excellent - big credit to our amazing engineering teams.
Stay tuned for more exciting news:-)

Looks like it's all on one PCB in the middle rather that a separate one at the front for the poly aftertouch, so it will be interesting to see how it works.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:59 am

Built to allow shorter (2.5-octave?) versions to be used as well. Interesting.

I really hope it works well... Looks like a synth-style keybed... I wonder if they have plans for a weighted one as well?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DGL. » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:03 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Built to allow shorter (3-octave?) versions to be used as well. Interesting.

I really hope it works well... Looks like a synth-style keybed... I wonder if they have plans for a weighted one as well?

H

Looks semi-weighted with weights behind plastic inserts near the fron of the keys, just like my S2.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:37 am

ooh, and they own a GS1 now, YAMAHA's first commercial FM synth/keyboard. Used by people such as ABBA (Benny Andersson) and TOTO.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:08 am

Yep, very happy creature here. 5 octaves of non-weighted poly AT goodness. That's a keyboard made for players.

Whatever it arrives attached to I'm cheering it all the way. We'll only know for sure once we all get our hands on it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby garrettendi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:38 pm

What is everyone’s thoughts on the new announced SL 75C?

Looks like an exact clone of SM75 and reports suggest a price of only $20.

I might give it a punt and if it’s awful I’m only 20ish quid down.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:57 pm

You'll be £20 down.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby garrettendi » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:55 pm

I dunno might turn out alright?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

PreviousNext