You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Folderol » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Another thing I find refreshingly unique is that they are actively asking for comments from potential users.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:19 pm

I just saw the projected prices.

:shocked:

Now I'm considering what space I can make in the toadstool...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:10 pm

ken long wrote:
DGL. wrote:In short, you can’t “steal” what is legally available and you don’t need to credit anyone, especially since we cloned a clone;-)

No need to say more. I would suggest that if a big company began cloning and manufacturing boutique UK mic pre-amps and undercutting the companies that researched and developed them in the first place, the SOS forum would probably go nuts.

There's legalities and then there's ethics.

Anyway...
For the record, i don't think there's anything unethical about this at all. You design something new, you get a patent, that gives you a government-granted monopoly to exploit that for a limited period. After that all bets are off.
The point of patents is to promote progress, not to provide an income for life.
Innovation doesn't happen in a vacuum, it builds on what went before.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DGL. » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:25 pm

To further on Elf's post pricing, between $49-$99 per module :o
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:11 pm

ken long wrote:I would suggest that if a big company began cloning and manufacturing boutique UK mic pre-amps and undercutting the companies that researched and developed them in the first place, the SOS forum would probably go nuts.

Don't see anyone getting hot and bothered about the countless 1073 clones, or SSL bus-compressor clones, or 1176 clones, or KM84 clones, or U87-alikes ...

I certainly agree that current products should be respected and not ripped off... but one a product is well out of patent, and no longer in production (in its original form), all restrictions are off as far as I'm concerned. If there's a market, why shouldn't someone provide for it? And if they can improve on the original in some way to make it better suited to modern workflows and requirements, even better.

And Behringer have done exactly that with their modernised retakes on so many of those classic synths, string machines, vocoders, drum machines, sequencers etc .

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:58 am

As I'll be doing quite a lot more modular stuff in the near future I'm very interested :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby DGL. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 pm

I do like that Behringer are doing the joke of sticking B on to the front of most of their clones (like Boog, Barp, Borg Etc.) and are claiming their announcements are coming from "The Banaheim Convention Centre!"
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XofTuxGghuM

Modular 25/35/55 series, 20 modules in total, authentic recreations of the old Moog modular modules in eurorack form. Also new is a 1 unit PSU with external power brick designed for unpowered modular cases.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby IAA » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Crikey :o :o

I can see some of this heading my way. Oh my.
IAA
Regular

Postby Folderol » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Well, I'm afraid that modular kit does nothing for me at all, but I can appreciate the work they've put into this. The modules look well built, and the legends are very clear - no squinting with a torch and magnifier in dim light.

Also, the man himself looks genuinely excited as he describes it all.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:36 pm

I've avoided modular so far, but if I could build a 'Roland' System 100, or a 'Moog' 55 for less than the price of a secondhand car I might just break ranks.

But I want a case with a mains connector!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby IAA » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:39 pm

..of course you do!! ;)
I’ve resisted modular too but......for the price if the Korg ARP 2600 you could get an absolute barrow full.
IAA
Regular

Postby Folderol » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:50 pm

The Elf wrote:I've avoided modular so far, but if I could build a 'Roland' System 100, or a 'Moog' 55 for less than the price of a secondhand car I might just break ranks.

Looking at that general design it would be trivially easy to retro-fit one :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 pm

The Elf wrote:But I want a case with a mains connector!

You can have your mains connector but unfortunately they have decided to use an obsolete mains connector that is only available second hand and even then difficult to find :lol:
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:46 pm

Can't see that being a problem TBH, as long as it meets current regs. If they plan to build more than a handful they'll be manufacturing the connectors themselves so loads of new ones easily available.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DGL. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:55 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Can't see that being a problem TBH, as long as it meets current regs. If they plan to build more than a handful they'll be manufacturing the connectors themselves so loads of new ones easily available.

Though try finding one in time for a gig when the one you had is either lost or damaged!, oh and they better make it so a standard connector cannot be retrofitted.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:21 pm

DGL. wrote: oh and they better make it so a standard connector cannot be retrofitted.
Ummm. Why? :?
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pm

Folderol wrote:
DGL. wrote: oh and they better make it so a standard connector cannot be retrofitted.
Ummm. Why? :?

It was a joke about your hatred of external power bricks :lol: and trying to make that internal PSU as inconvenient as possible, making the mains connection method just as bad as a power brick in terms of replacement if lost/damaged. I suppose fitting a proper C15/16 kettle lead, the even higher temperature C15/16A or the 16A variant (C19/20/23/24) would be just as inconvenient as some bespoke connector.

IEC all the way for me on products, although the miniak had to have a C8 figure of 8 as an C14 would have been too big and I haven't tried bodging the MS-101 yet.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:37 pm

My Miniak has a DC brick, can't remember if it has a fig 8 into that but it certainly doesn't have an internal mains PSU......

WRT the Berry, most kit comes with EU and UK mains leads, it's cheap enough for them to do so and easy enough for you to chop the redundant plug off and fit another UK one so you always have a spare cable.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DGL. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:51 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:My Miniak has a DC brick, can't remember if it has a fig 8 into that but it certainly doesn't have an internal mains PSU.......

Well a normal MINIAK does have an external 9V AC brich but mine failed and getting a 9V AC brick was not too cheap, so I got a spare linear DC brick, smashed it open and removed the transformer, this was then carefully fitted inside the case in the one place that had just enough room. Noting that much insulation materials were used so as to make it near impossible for any mains wiring to fail in such a way as to make the metal parts of the case live. I did the same to a Roland RS-5 and SH-201 but mounted their own supplies internal to the case, with the SH-201 PSU being placed so that the C8 inlet was positioned to match up with a rectangular hole made in the rear on teh SH-201's plastic case.

The only piece of semi decent A/V related kit that could never have an internal PSU is my Grans EchoStar HDT-610r freeview+ recorder that I got her a few years ago, primarily as it is so slim they actually had to put a slight bulge in the bottom of the aluminum case for the 2.5" laptop HDD! (inc. feet (measuring from the top of the device below it), it's a hair under 15mm)
DGL.
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext