You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Peter Kirn is thankfully getting an awful lot of support on Facebook and other on-line sources, and I'm pleased to hear that this crass video has been pulled.

The only 'likes' and 'laughs' I spotted on Facebook were from people who didn't seem to be aware that it was aimed at Peter Kirn, and just viewed it as a bit of harmless fun.

However, it really does make one wonder how on earth it got approval to come out on the official Behringer YouTube channel. Let's hope that this is now seen as a spectacular backfire for Behringer that persuades them not to do it again.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Indeed, disappointing. I had hoped they'd 'turned the corner'.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby johnny h » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:33 pm

Its impossible to ignore the antisemitic overtones used in the image. Kirn is a Jewish surname, and here you have the classic 1930s tropes of the beard, big nose, wild eyes, sinister grin and money grabbing hands. To think that a German company, set up and ran by a German, would not be acutely aware of these overtones is quite a stretch.

This is a reaction against Peter's reporting that Behringer tried to sue not only Dave Smith instruments but private individuals on message boards for pointing out "similarities" between Behringer's products and older designs.

Its a vindictive, corporate, Trumpian attack on a highly credible independent journalist. They are using their money and power to bully individuals, smaller companies and websites into submission and I would hope Sound On Sound take an appropriate stance against it. It is totally unacceptable behaviour.

Please, everyone who has bought a Behringer product in the last 30 days, consider returning your purchase. They do not deserve your support. Other manufacturers are available.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:52 pm

But I've just seen a price reduction on the Behringer Wing to £2400 :-)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IAA » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:04 pm

I missed this, not being on Facebook, but If this is what they have done I am genuinely appalled. I have no behringer gear, but was contemplating the 2600. I think I may have to reconsider this. I doubt Behringer will be bothered , but I am.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:42 pm

Whoever thought that was a good idea showed a fairly appalling misjudgement...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:46 pm

johnny h wrote:Its impossible to ignore the antisemitic overtones used in the image. Kirn is a Jewish surname, and here you have the classic 1930s tropes of the beard, big nose, wild eyes, sinister grin and money grabbing hands.
Do you not think you might be over-reading that a bit?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:50 pm

I'm not swearing off Behringer gear indefinitely at this point but out of order they were, so I am going to take a step back and see what transpires.

I just cancelled my Poly D pre-order and replaced it with a Hydrasynth order, so thanks Behringer for prompting me to do that.

Hopefully should have the Hydrasynth by Wednesday or Thursday. Silver linings :D

I also do not buy the antisemitic angle. I think they were just being jerks. The net effect is the same as far as my buying choices are concerned.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:29 pm

Agree, I don't think you need to look any further than vindictive stupidity - which is bad enough, God knows.

CC

PS The title of the thread now seems quite appropriate.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby johnny h » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:35 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I also do not buy the antisemitic angle. I think they were just being jerks. The net effect is the same as far as my buying choices are concerned.
I’m not sure how much time you’ve spent in Germany but Germans are extremely sensitive to anything resembling anti Semitic propaganda. The caricature they used does indeed highly resemble anti Semitic tropes and I find it difficult to believe that any educated German would be unaware of this.

I don’t know why so many are happy to blame it purely on stupidity. Behringer may have many negative qualities, but you don’t build a company that big from scratch simply by being stupid.

Nevertheless, I applaud your temporary boycott of the company and hope it will turn into a permanent one.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:40 pm

johnny h wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:I also do not buy the antisemitic angle. I think they were just being jerks. The net effect is the same as far as my buying choices are concerned.
I’m not sure how much time you’ve spent in Germany

I lived (and went to school) there for a few months in my teens and have spent many months-worth of time there (if not over a year), accumulated through 40+ visits since, both professionally and privately.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:49 pm

All I can say is it doesn't surprise me. Everything about this company seems off to me.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:53 pm

blinddrew wrote:
johnny h wrote:Its impossible to ignore the antisemitic overtones used in the image. Kirn is a Jewish surname, and here you have the classic 1930s tropes of the beard, big nose, wild eyes, sinister grin and money grabbing hands.
Do you not think you might be over-reading that a bit?

I hate to agree with Johnny but it is also the first thing I thought.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:58 pm

johnny h wrote:The caricature they used does indeed highly resemble anti Semitic tropes and I find it difficult to believe that any educated German would be unaware of this.

I find it harder to believe that any educated German would knowingly do it without first considering the potentially catastrophic consequences for their brand image and I don't see Behringer as being in a hurry to self-destruct. Thus I still disagree with the antisemitic angle, though crass and enormously misjudged the whole thing obviously was.

I think that their motive is a combination of (presumably) Uli's thin skin and Kirn calling them out on some of their less worthy activities. Possibly combined with an over-eager (or drunk) marketing department.

I wouldn't even be surprised if some bright spark made that video unofficially as an internal joke, it did the rounds and in their childish delight the company thought it would be 'fun' to make it public 'for a laugh'. That's idle speculation of course.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby ken long » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:14 pm

well shit. :clap: lamentable behaviour.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

PreviousNext