You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Agharta » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Fender Europe fined £4.5m for preventing online discounts:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51214257

Time to sell all your Fenders then?
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:47 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:And before anyone has a go at me for 'condoning' this fiasco... I don't. Not in the slightest! But equally, I'm not a fan of those who jump up on any passing bandwagon mainly so they can look down on all the people around them. :geek:

H

Hmm?
Also, as someone else said, forgiveness is unfashionable, and also again, it is like we are living in a lynch mob society. A gathering of perspective is needed on this matter a I think.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby johnny h » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
johnny h wrote:Personally for me Behringer’s ethics have stopped me from ever buying one of their products even before this latest stunt.

I'm pleased your budget allows a range of alternative products... I just hope your preferred suppliers are all genuinely as ethical with squeaky-clean business practices as you imagine. ;-)
A modicum of originality, not suing forum members and at least an attempt to conceal your contempt for the industry is enough for me.

My budget was pretty tiny when I started but I still made a career. Ethics are worth the cost, for some.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:29 pm

johnny h wrote:......spending many thousands and many months mocking up a synth and producing professional video goes way beyond .......

assuming it was a real object, not a simulation, it would have been a mock up.
That is, not a working synth but a block of wood with a graphics wrap, some pots & "knobs", all sandwiched between a pair of off the shelf wooden end cheeks. 1/2 a days work at most for the team, of which the cartoonist was probably the most busy.

The Glassdoor website was very interesting reading though !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Looked like a render video to me...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Looked like a render video to me...

It was. Not a particularly great one either. Certainly producable by one modeller in a day or two.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby DGL. » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:48 pm

As for suing other forum members, if I recall it was only one forum member that was directly being sued, the other ones were had to be mentioned for some reason but were not actually being sued.
As for why that member got sued, simple, he was an employee of DSI being quite nasty towards Behringer, now that from an individual is not really acceptable but there is nothing much you can do about it, however, when you are an employee of a competitor then things become quite different, you wouldn't catch Tesco, for example, saying all ASDA beef contains horse for no real reason, esp. if there is no evidence for said accusations.
I would get the sack if I started talking trash about other companies in the industry I worked for and would expect that there might be some legal repercussions, we even have to do specific training on social media.

As for the latest issue, it's clear that Behringer have had beef with this bloke for some time, and supposedly seems to make a lot of snide comments about Behringer when he is reviewing things for no real reason so you can sort of understand where they were going with it, yes they should have thought a bit more about what they did but it was intended to be satire, yes some people saw it as being anti-Semitic but that doesn't come in to it at all, it's just a drawing of Peter Kirn with a "Pinocchio" nose either to show that he is lying or in reference to the "cork sniffers" having long noses to better sniff the corks!

It was meant to be a bit of fun, it backfired (mainly, it seems, as people wanted to find it anti-Semitic , even though that couldn't be father from the truth) and an apology was made.
To me that is more than enough, plenty of companies parody other companies and no one finds it offensive or has to apologise.

I for one will still be buying Behringer stuff, I can't afford not to really. Plus Roland would never make an analogue, VP330, SH-101 or TB-303 so Behringer it is.

So lets leave it at that and get back to what this thread is really about, super cheap analogue reissues, and looking at their FB maybe some digital clones too (looking at you PPG Wave 2.3!, with a Waveterm emulation please)
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:47 pm

quite surprised and disappointed by the whataboutism on this thread and the idea that it's people calling out this bullshit that are the problem lmao. :clap:
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:54 am

DGL. wrote:So lets leave it at that and get back to what this thread is really about, super cheap analogue reissues, and looking at their FB maybe some digital clones too (looking at you PPG Wave 2.3!, with a Waveterm emulation please)

How about some classic samplers, Akai, E-MU, and the Emax.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:37 am

Arpangel wrote:
DGL. wrote:So lets leave it at that and get back to what this thread is really about, super cheap analogue reissues, and looking at their FB maybe some digital clones too (looking at you PPG Wave 2.3!, with a Waveterm emulation please)

A multi sampler that can emulate all the old samplers, include a similar interface to the Roland S series (and possibly even some sort of clone of the TVF in the S-330/550.

As for the analogue filters found in the Emax/EII they (Coolaudio) don't do the SSM2045 but they do have a clone of the SSM2044 though I am not sure what the differences are, could also put Curtis filters in as well to round things off, given that they do a CEM3340 clone.

Oh and shove in a 3.25" floppy for good measure, you just dont get the same warmth of solid state storage :D
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:55 am

DGL. wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

A multi sampler that can emulate all the old samplers, include a similar interface to the Roland S series (and possibly even some sort of clone of the TVF in the S-330/550.

As for the analogue filters found in the Emax/EII they (Coolaudio) don't do the SSM2045 but they do have a clone of the SSM2044 though I am not sure what the differences are, could also put Curtis filters in as well to round things off, given that they do a CEM3340 clone.

Oh and shove in a 3.25" floppy for good measure, you just dont get the same warmth of solid state storage :D

Yes, love some samplers.
Another wish is for a Casio synth, something like a CZ1000, made some great tracks with that.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 am

A digital Mellotron stuffed with a complete, definitive collation of Streetly's generation #1 tapes would be a Holy Grail for me. Currently you have to buy three or four various devices and plug-ins to access all the sounds - having ALL of them in one device would be a dream. Add tape-grab, rewind time, station adjust, poly AT, looping for the millennials... Got to be a winner.

It would also be nice if Behringer would burst Hammond's cosy bubble and produce something like the XK5 at a price that doesn't involve loss of my internal organs.

A Pro-Soloist would be good, but I suspect the market for it would be me and seven others.

Of the developments I believe are in the pipeline I'm most interested in the OBXa, CS-80 and Solina.

So far the Wasp is the one that has me scratching my head - how that warranted such an early a re-make I'll never know! :headbang:

Samplers? :yawn: No thanks.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:19 am

The Elf wrote:So far the Wasp is the one that has me scratching my head - how that warranted such an early a re-make I'll never know! :headbang:

Isn't it becuase they are trying to rebuild the bedroom studio Uli dreamt of as a teenager ? :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Here’s a bizarre thought -
In 10-20 years from now in a virtual reality forum cloud there will be a bunch of crusty, aged gender non-specific beings moaning over the good old sounds of Behringer gear.

:shocked:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MarkOne » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:21 pm

The Elf wrote:...So far the Wasp is the one that has me scratching my head - how that warranted such an early a re-make I'll never know! :headbang:

I remember demoing the wasp in a local music shop. Not because it was what I wanted, but simply because at the time I thought I might actually be able to afford it!

Instead, I finally managed to get hold of a very second hand very gigged Korg 700 with knackered end cheeks and a sticky nicotine layer inside that the Wills company would have been proud of. And I was the happiest keyboard player in Somerset. I still have fond memories of that thing, and occasionally regret selling it.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

PreviousNext