You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby desmond » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:41 pm

BigRedX wrote:IIRC the Kitten and Cat synths were essentially clones of various ARP models...

Source..? The Cat in particular has quite a strange and unique architecture and sound, with the second of the three generations (The "Cat SRM") being regarded as sounding the best...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:05 pm

desmond wrote:
BigRedX wrote:IIRC the Kitten and Cat synths were essentially clones of various ARP models...

Source..? The Cat in particular has quite a strange and unique architecture and sound, with the second of the three generations (The "Cat SRM") being regarded as sounding the best...

Perhaps not then, but I can definitely recall some reviews back in the late 70s/early 80s when these synths first appeared, of both the Kitten and Cat comparing them to the ARP Axxe and Odyssey respectively and suggesting that they may not be as original as Octave were claiming.

The controls available on each pair are very similar, and the Cat even did that duo-phonic trick that the Odyssey was capable of.

I played in a band with a synth player who had a Kitten in the early 80s and apart form the price there wasn't a lot to recommend it. There was also something strange happening with the gate in circuitry that would cause some triggers to make the synth go a semitone out of tune.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:23 pm

All of these instruments are well over 30 years old, so I can't imagine there are still any patents applicable on the circuitry or other technology. So as long as Behringer don't infringe any trademarks, there seems no obvious reason why they shouldn't be able to do this. It's not really any different from the endless stream of '1073' preamps that is around now.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby feline1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:10 pm

desmond wrote:Source..? The Cat in particular has quite a strange and unique architecture and sound, with the second of the three generations (The "Cat SRM") being regarded as sounding the best...

Nah, my Cat SRMII with multi-mode filter, pink noise and ring-mod mods by James Walker sounds the best. :wave:
feline1
Frequent Poster (Level2)
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! http://www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:36 pm

IIRC the Octave CAT/Kitten used CEM ICs, so though they may have looked like, and been functionally very similar to, the Oddy, the guts would have been quite different.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

...and behringers second copy is finally officially revealed!

Postby DGL. » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:38 pm

The VC340, a supposedly faithful recreation of the fabled Roland VP330 vocoder/strings.
3 octave full size keyboard (one octave less but with a switch to set between two octave ranges, I'm guessing shifting by 1 octave) with velocity for more dynamic playability.
Full analogue recreation (not simply a processor in a box running an emulation ala vp03) of all sections including the divide down circuitry!, it's a true stringer in that respect.
Switches being push buttons with LED's like the VP330 MK2.

Standard rear connections as the VP330 but adds MIDI IN/OUT/THRU and USB, as of course, a proper mains inlet, no wall wart.

No pricing yet but sure looks pretty sweet.

Photos from the Behringer FB page

Inside:
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Nice! :clap:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Looks almost as fugly as the DeepMind series, but could be interesting. Pricing it right could shift a few...

Oh .. and Andertons are taking pre-orders for the Model D. Shipping on Feb 15th apparently.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Dave B wrote:Oh .. and Andertons are taking pre-orders for the Model D. Shipping on Feb 15th apparently.
I can't see it on their website.

Edit; found it under recording rather than synths (though their own search engine didn't find it) . https://www.andertons.co.uk/synths-and- ... ynthesizer
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Re: ...and behringers second copy is finally officially revealed!

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:13 pm

DGL. wrote:The VC340, a supposedly faithful recreation of the fabled Roland VP330 vocoder/strings.
full size keyboard
Full analogue recreation
no wall wart

Dear Behringer,
Please take my money.
Yours,
Elf.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Looks like the OB-Xa clone is on the 'official' list now too. Uli suggests it will be at least a year away, but is a confirmed project. The Behringer UB-Xa...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:12 pm

The Elf wrote:Looks like the OB-Xa clone is on the 'official' list now too. Uli suggests it will be at least a year away, but is a confirmed project. The Behringer UB-Xa...

desmond
Jedi Poster

Re: ...and behringers second copy is finally officially revealed!

Postby Rich Hanson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 pm

The Elf wrote:
DGL. wrote:The VC340, a supposedly faithful recreation of the fabled Roland VP330 vocoder/strings.
full size keyboard
Full analogue recreation
no wall wart

Dear Behringer,
Please take my money.
Yours,
Elf.

Bloody hell, this is going to tempt me sorely when it comes out!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Those genuine pics, Desmond? If that's an external PSU connector I see there I'm out.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:47 pm

The Elf wrote:Those genuine pics, Desmond? If that's an external PSU connector I see there I'm out.
Some might call you picky... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:49 pm

blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:Those genuine pics, Desmond? If that's an external PSU connector I see there I'm out.
Some might call you picky... ;)
I'm utterly sick of having to find room for external PSUs. Enough is enough. :protest:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:00 pm

Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm

Jumpeyspyder wrote:Looks like an internal PSU to me - think you'll be OK Elf :)

That's the VP - Mr Elf was referring to the UBXa pics I posted - prototype pics (renders by the look of it), this is a way off yet apparently, so I wouldn't rush to make any judgements just yet...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:26 am

I'll live in hope! :lol:

Behringer are surprisingly good about this IME.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:57 am

What gaul's me is not this rip-off "strategy" - it's Uli Behringer's public calling into question Moog's business model / price point widely across forums last year (and that forums like Gearslutz gave him the option to do so) - all the while ripping off their technology. It was a calculated, cynical attack on Moog, to a mainly young readership.

Behringer are, to me, worse than Microsoft in their most aggressive of times of buying up small technology companies to effectively wipe out the competition. If Behringer get their way, they'll put innovative companies like Moog and DSI out of business; and all we'll be left with is this tacky, cheap reproduction junk, with no originality and no forward thinking.

It's a business strategy to sell junk to a new generation aware of former classics, and should be called out for what it is - cheap crap. It has all the authenticity of a £20 Rolex.

Even if the "VP340" was a new instrument - 3 octaves? How the hell do you play a 3 octave string machine (and please - don't say it has MIDI sockets on it).

If you think the Las Vegas Eiffel Tower is nice to look at - then go ahead - buy one of these - it'll suit your music rig very well.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext