You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:14 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm considering the idea of a small rack with a couple of Model Ds and Pro-Ones in it that means my originals need never again leave the studio.

You'll have some extra space in there as they are both quite short of a rack wide but it makes a lot of sense anyway. You could always go for 4 Eurorack 19" rackmountable 3U boats and blank off the sides or chuck in some nice modules for FX or whatever.

That or stay pure Eurorack format, go with a width of whichever of them is the widest and forego the 19" standard I guess :)

What times we live in...

Indeed!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
The Elf wrote:I'm considering the idea of a small rack with a couple of Model Ds and Pro-Ones in it that means my originals need never again leave the studio.
You'll have some extra space in there as they are both quite short of a rack wide but it makes a lot of sense anyway. You could always go for 4 Eurorack 19" rackmountable 3U boats and blank off the sides or chuck in some nice modules for FX or whatever.
20 quid to Tiggywinkles if anyone can design me a Eurorack with a trio of Berry modules, and maybe a couple of delays and an output mixer. I've tried to come up with a suitable combo and I'm absolutely lost in it all! :headbang: :crazy: :wtf:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:49 pm

Whaddya know? I just had the dispatch email for the Crave. It's on its way!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:05 am

The Elf wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:
20 quid to Tiggywinkles if anyone can design me a Eurorack with a trio of Berry modules, and maybe a couple of delays and an output mixer. I've tried to come up with a suitable combo and I'm absolutely lost in it all! :headbang: :crazy: :wtf:

I'd go with a Make Noise Echophon, or X2 Audio Damage Dub Juniors, I had the latter combination and it worked very well. As for mixers, a bog standard Doepfer A138b mixer is absolutely fine, or if you want slightly better sound get an Erogenous Tones Levit8 and you'll have lots of attenuators as a bonus, and you can use it in stereo as it can be configured as two 4 channel mixers or one 8 channel, it's a great space saver.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:20 am

The problem I've been hitting is finding a suitable rack, and the extra modules fitting in with the width of the Model D and Pro-One devices.

What case would fit your ideas above?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:28 am

Arrangement details.

Do you want two Beri units side by side with another one above/below with the space on the upper/lower tier holding the mixer and effects?

Or is everything stacked on top of each other?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 am

The Elf wrote:The problem I've been hitting is finding a suitable rack, and the extra modules fitting in with the width of the Model D and Pro-One devices.

What case would fit your ideas above?

I'm going to write you a prescription, use no more than 10 times a hour...

https://www.modulargrid.net

Doepfer cases are reliable ad cheap, I'd say a Doepfer 9U 84hp suitcase would fit the bill, mixers, delays on the right, and you could look at 2U, and Erica Synths, they make delays, mixers etc etc in a very small footprint. But with 9U, you'd have more than enough room for what you want.
You need to go on the Grid.

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:22 am

Wonks wrote:Arrangement details.
I think stacked would be more suitable.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:08 am

The Elf wrote:
Wonks wrote:Arrangement details.
I think stacked would be more suitable.

The Doepfer 9U suitcase.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:11 pm

You can get standard 19" rack ears for the Model Ds and Pro-1s from Thomann (and others) . Expensive for what they are but you could then use standard rack-mount FXs and mixers.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Running with a few of the suggestions, and adding one of my own I've doodled up this 3 row 84HP rack:

2 x Model D
1 x Pro One
1 x Deopfer A-188-1C BBD (2048-stage) BBD for delay
2 x Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4s for delay/FX/sample playback/filter/Envelope Generator etc.
1 x Erogenous Tones Levit8 for mixing

I've included the Distings as they have so much functionality packed inside them it's ridiculous (currently they list 84 algorithms on their page above) but at the expense of 'friendly' controls. Having 2 of them you could pre-configure them to do whatever you need them to be.

I've made the assumption that power is not taking up any space on the rack, but if it is then you could drop a Disting or perhaps change to a narrower delay.

If you went with a wider rack you have more options and flexibility of course. Also, at the moment the image of the Pro-One on Modular Grid is a placeholder based on videos and so on.

Not saying "go with this" and I wasn't sure whether you would have 2 Model Ds and 1 Pro-One or vice versa but it may help your thought processes!

The parts list/specs as generated by Modular Grid:

Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 pm

I like both of those suggestions! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It would likely be a pair of Pro-1s, or even a Neutron, so I'd have a little less space in the Eurorack than shown above - and this is why I've struggled. Oh, and I prefer digital delays to BBDs.

20 quid to the little folk!

Now I just need to choose... Hmmm...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:37 pm

No need to guess on the Pro -1.

https://media63.music-group.com/media/P ... QSG_WW.pdf

424mm wide.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Wonks wrote:No need to guess on the Pro -1.

424mm wide.
Same as Neutron - 80HP, I think?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:39 pm

Wonks wrote:No need to guess on the Pro -1.

424mm wide.

Yep - just corrected my post. The width is known (80HP) it was the image itself that is the placeholder on Modular Grid.

Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:42 pm

The Pro-1 quick-start guide doesn't actually mention any Eurorack compatibility, but maybe it's early days for the documentation.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:43 pm

Wonks wrote:But from that quick-start guide, it doesn't look like the Pro-1 is Eurorack compatible.
:shock: Nah, it MUST be!

Ignore? Phew!

I didn't realise you couldn't delete posts any more. That's annoying!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:47 pm

The Elf wrote:
Wonks wrote: ... it doesn't look like the Pro-1 is Eurorack compatible.
:shock: Nah, it MUST be!

With an angle grinder and enough vaseline, pretty much anything is Eurorack compatible :headbang:

Oh, wait, Sir wants it to work? Talk about demanding clients!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:49 pm

No you can't delete, not for ages and ages.

Sorry, I had the Model D and Pro-1 pdfs open at the same time, read the Pro-1, couldn't see any Eurorack instructions, then forgot I still had the Model 1 pdf open, saw the Model 1 Eurorack instructions and thought they were on the Pro-1. Then found they weren't.

There is another Pro-1 document in Word .docx format, but it seems corrupted and won't open.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Running with a few of the suggestions, and adding one of my own I've doodled up this 3 row 84HP rack:

2 x Model D
1 x Pro One
1 x Deopfer A-188-1C BBD (2048-stage) BBD for delay
2 x Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4s for delay/FX/sample playback/filter/Envelope Generator etc.
1 x Erogenous Tones Levit8 for mixing

I've included the Distings as they have so much functionality packed inside them it's ridiculous (currently they list 84 algorithms on their page above) but at the expense of 'friendly' controls. Having 2 of them you could pre-configure them to do whatever you need them to be.

I've made the assumption that power is not taking up any space on the rack, but if it is then you could drop a Disting or perhaps change to a narrower delay.

If you went with a wider rack you have more options and flexibility of course. Also, at the moment the image of the Pro-One on Modular Grid is a placeholder based on videos and so on.

Not saying "go with this" and I wasn't sure whether you would have 2 Model Ds and 1 Pro-One or vice versa but it may help your thought processes!

The parts list/specs as generated by Modular Grid:

That's what I thought, great design, and there's a lot to be said for not having too much room for expansion! I'd be. A bit wary of the BBD Delay, they are definitely an aquired taste.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext