You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Unfortunately it won't be two Model Ds. It will likely be - Model D, Neutron, Pro-1. I realise that reduces the space considerably.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 pm

The Elf wrote:Unfortunately it won't be two Model Ds. It will likely be - Model D, Neutron, Pro-1. KI realise that reduces the space considerably.

I'll doodle a bit more later this afternoon unless anyone else does so first :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm

The Elf wrote:Oh, and I prefer digital delays to BBDs..

Check out the AJH BBD ... apparently it sounds rather good - so much so that Alan had to add a 'dirty it up' switch to make it sound more like an old BBD. Apparently, the BBD itself is a good delay, but was hampered by appalling sounding circuitry around it...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:08 pm

The Elf wrote:Unfortunately it won't be two Model Ds. It will likely be - Model D, Neutron, Pro-1. I realise that reduces the space considerably.

Oh no, it's started already, don't you realise, you're attitude is already missing one essential ingredient, of course you never have to choose between anything in modular, you just get it all, obviously you need two D's and a Pro 1, plus a Neutron, a bigger case makes sense too.

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 pm

:lol:
No, just the one D is fine.

I bypassed the BBD on the Neutron, and have no intention of removing that patch cable! Back in the day we all wanted pristine delays, but as soon as we get it we want muffled, distorted delays again. Ayayay! :headbang: No, a digital delay will invariably be my choice.

The more I think about a 19-inch rack solution, the more I like it. It would definitely be the economical option. I just need to get power to the Behringers - I don't want boards full of PSUs back there. Maybe I can rig up Eurorack power connections...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm

The Elf wrote:Back in the day we all wanted pristine delays, but as soon as we get it we want muffled, distorted delays again. Ayayay! :headbang:

Humans are funny creatures.
The prices of vintage four-track cassette portastudios are rising now, due to increasing demand... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:35 pm

desmond wrote:Humans are funny creatures.
The prices of vintage four-track cassette portastudios are rising now, due to increasing demand... :headbang:

I'm keeping mine then...
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:24 pm

desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:Back in the day we all wanted pristine delays, but as soon as we get it we want muffled, distorted delays again. Ayayay! :headbang:

Humans are funny creatures.
I've had two calls in the past year from family members wanting to try tape recording for its 'mojo'. Both 'lucky owners' are now selling their tape machines on eBay...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:46 pm

desmond wrote: prices of vintage four-track cassette portastudios are rising

Thats good to know. Its a bit cold to go up into the loft now but in the spring I might buy some new portastudio rubber bands to boost my digital-synth-fund.

I suppose ill need some kind of solvent to remove the disentegrated old rubber band goo from all the moving parts.

Just like I dont want all vocals to sound like they are through a fuzz box "21st Century Schizoid Man", tape is an interesting effect in the right place.

My current fav is The Flaming Lips - Race For The Prize.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs56ygZplQA
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:19 am

The Elf wrote:Unfortunately it won't be two Model Ds. It will likely be - Model D, Neutron, Pro-1. I realise that reduces the space considerably ...

... a digital delay will invariably be my choice.

The more I think about a 19-inch rack solution, the more I like it. It would definitely be the economical option. I just need to get power to the Behringers - I don't want boards full of PSUs back there. Maybe I can rig up Eurorack power connections...

Did a quick bit of looking around and it seems that an 84HP width should work fine in a 19" enclosure (https://clicksclocks.de/523), so finding that enclosure is just a question of a bit of donkey-work to see what's out there, either in terms of a case with fittable ears or one with them built in.

Rolling with the latest info, I doodled again and came up with this:

It's got two Ladik S-186 dual delays (EDIT: Oops, these are not digital delays, they are gate/trigger delays ... I'll leave them in as placeholders though as the space can be repurposed for a couple of 4HP delay modules of some kind) as well as a Disting Mk4 (which I think is such an amazing swiss-army-knife that it would be a crime not to put one in!) at the expense of a slightly simpler mixer in the form of an Erica Synths Black Stereo V2.

Again, no space for a power module up front, but you could drop one of the dual delays, plus the Disting can do delay if you don't need it to do something else, or mount it somewhere else.

I think the above should be very 19" rack-mountable.

Just food for thought - plus I like playing with ModularGrid a lot :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby zenguitar » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:28 am

I MUST resist :headbang: :headbang:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:37 am

zenguitar wrote:I MUST resist

I AM resisting*, that's why I'm drawing the things on screen before I end up with something similar when the resistance crumbles. But I will have resisted for a bit by then so it'll be ok :-)

* Apart from the Pro-One. I gave up resisting that earlier today but please don't tell Max!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:40 am

MAX!!!! LOOK WHAT EDDY'S DONE
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:11 am

Thanks for that Eddy!

So I'm looking for a digital delay that fits into 4HP. I'll see what options that gives me.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:18 am

N i g e l wrote:
desmond wrote: prices of vintage four-track cassette portastudios are rising

Thats good to know. Its a bit cold to go up into the loft now but in the spring I might buy some new portastudio rubber bands to boost my digital-synth-fund.

I suppose ill need some kind of solvent to remove the disentegrated old rubber band goo from all the moving parts.

Just like I dont want all vocals to sound like they are through a fuzz box "21st Century Schizoid Man", tape is an interesting effect in the right place.

My current fav is The Flaming Lips - Race For The Prize.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs56ygZplQA

When I got my tape four track out recently I was really surprised at how good the quality was, unless you really overdrive it it sounds depressingly clean. I was expecting lots of nice nostalgic wow and flutter, and a restricted frequency response, but it just wasn't happening.
To get it to do those things I had to turn the varispeed right down, and slightly overload it, and fiddle with the EQ on record, it also helps to use the worst possible tapes.
I won't be selling mine, ever, it does have a great quality to it, and that's not even taking into account the tricks you can do with the noise reduction.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:23 am

https://youtu.be/KnMrHXrM09M
Looks like a mixer. It clearly has recording facilities, which is good...

Maybe a new X18-ish (the one made for iPad) mixer on steroids?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:31 am

Yes, big PA mixer called 'Wing' by the looks of it. More Midas influenced stuff presumably?

The brief glimpse of the routing page suggests 40 input channels, 8 auxes, 16 mix buses, 8 matrix outputs, 4 main outputs, and 16 FX engines.

There's also a lot of connectivity with analogue, AES3, AES50, USB, and Dante listed, along with and two new (to me) interfaces marked as 'WingLine' and 'Stage Con'

Intriguing...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:34 am

I just hope it doesn't try too hard to be a DAW. As a mixer, especially with Dante as an option, it could be a beautiful thing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:12 pm

As mentioned in the other thread maybe its Wing Live, so a waves live type system.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=68644&view=unread#unread
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Wing? Looks like Wino to me. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

PreviousNext