You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:08 pm

No sign of a price yet but I wish I'd known that it was coming before I bought the Akai Miniak (as nice as that is) if only 'cos I always wanted a MiniMoog and the PolyD looks a close as you'll get for reasonable money (I can't justify a real one given my limited keyboard chops).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:58 pm

Grapevine is saying $699, but I don't know if that's based on knowledge or wishful thinking.

Anything like that and it's going to do very well indeed.

Hopefully I can fit that PSU inside the case - then that's me sorted for a lead synth until they nail me in.

Hope the pitchbend in release is sorted out this time.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby IAA » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:58 pm

I’d like Gordon/Paul to give it the once over - must say I’m impressed with Behringer’s work ethic for sure! :clap:
IAA
Regular

Postby Dave B » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:17 pm

The fourth oscillator is interesting. It looks like it also goes into LFO mode, so I'm hoping that I can have a 3 osc mini with lfo and no compromise - which would be great.

Bum. And I was doing so well in my gear lust. But I can see a bit of a splurge next year.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:22 am

I don't understand why there is a separate On/Off rocker switch for the chorus section, when there are On/Off switches for Modes 1 and 2 already..?

Surely if both mode switches are off, the chorus is off. Want chorus mode 1? Press the button and it's on, etc, up to pressing both together for mode 3. It seems the rocker is superfluous, unless I'm missing something obvious...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Agharta » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:40 am

desmond wrote:I don't understand why there is a separate On/Off rocker switch for the chorus section, when there are On/Off switches for Modes 1 and 2 already..?

Surely if both mode switches are off, the chorus is off. Want chorus mode 1? Press the button and it's on, etc, up to pressing both together for mode 3. It seems the rocker is superfluous, unless I'm missing something obvious...

Maybe it's there to wind up Steve Reich fans? :?
Fans of minimalist designs. :bouncy:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 am

It's a prog-rocker. You can never have enough of them!

One thing I'd like to see on some of the Behringer remakes is a 'proper' daisy-chain or star-topology option whereby you can connect them together to add polyphony, but with one designated as the 'master' such that the initial patch is automatically replicated to the others and any controller changes are mirrored in a like fashion while you're playing.

Imagine 8 Berry Ds with that feature hooked up in such a manner ... now that would be quite something!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:10 am

That would require digital control of all parameters. While doable, it would necessitate circuit changes and a move away from the authentic moog designs, almost certainly with a change in sound and/or responses to controls.

In short, it would no longer be a D...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:19 am

So can we now expect a poly version of the Pro 1 and MS-20 etc?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:36 am

desmond wrote:I don't understand why there is a separate On/Off rocker switch for the chorus section, when there are On/Off switches for Modes 1 and 2 already..?

It's a straight lift from the TC June 60 pedal. That has an on/off footswitch so this has an on/off switch as well. Of course it will be a true bypass switch, so the chorus is completely out of circuit when switched off. There may be some slight sonic difference with no chorus selected but I doubt it would be that noticeable. However, some purists might simply not want a chorus or distortion as part of the synth's audio circuit. Maybe a review will tell us whether there's a slight sound difference between bypass and no chorus settings.

But I feel that it's mainly there to help fill in some of the space on the right-hand side of the panel, which is certainly a lot less cluttered than the left and centre.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 am

Wonks wrote:But I feel that it's mainly there to help fill in some of the space on the right-hand side of the panel, which is certainly a lot less cluttered than the left and centre.
An A440 switch would have been more helpful - it's a pity they chose to omit it this time around.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:51 pm

If I was 19 in 2019 (instead of age 19 in 1982, when I drove my Mums car to the HQ of EDP in Oxfordshire to collect my Wasp & Spider), I'd be knocked out by all the tons of exciting new synths coming out these days. It's almost too much!
baward
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:57 pm

*exciting old synths. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:17 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:That would require digital control of all parameters. While doable, it would necessitate circuit changes and a move away from the authentic moog designs, almost certainly with a change in sound and/or responses to controls.

In short, it would no longer be a D...

I think the little phattys can do chaining. They are digitally controlled analogue with 4 knobs

Wonks wrote:*exciting old synths. :D

Enough with the synths ! I wish they would clone the BCR2000 knob box,
N i g e l
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:44 pm

I'd like to see them doing something more original. I like the look and sound of the Poly D, but it's not much of a stretch away from the regular model - extra VCO, a couple of pedal guts, decent case and keyboard and the control over the voice allocation. If it really is going to be $699, that doesn't translate as favourably as we're used to with Behringer synths. It's up against the Minilogue XD at that price, and that's cheaper.

If they'd used CEM VCOs and filter, given the oscs PWM and cross mod, and kept the paraphonic and round-robin modes, well... (mumbles something about the Korg Mono/Poly)

Also I'm a tad narked as I've only just bought the D. :D
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby DGL. » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:55 pm

nathanscribe wrote: and kept the paraphonic and round-robin modes, well... (mumbles something about the Korg Mono/Poly)

Also I'm a tad narked as I've only just bought the D. :D

I believe in one of the modes it does do round robin, at least from teh sequencer.[url][/url]
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Wonks wrote:It's a straight lift from the TC June 60 pedal.
Which was disastrously bad IMO. You have to wonder what on earth they did to produce a supposed 'clone' that was so utterly unlike the original?! I'm not a purist about these things, but the June 60 sounds poor by any standard.

Let's hope they've fixed it on the Poly D (though I doubt it will ever be switched on on mine, if I do end up with one of these...).
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:45 pm

A new clone is announced ;)

The V662A, a BA662A clone. Necessary for many (mainly Roland?) vintage synths.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:39 pm

and if anyone thought Behringer were all talk and no trousers (although as a lot of us have their synths we know otherwise), the first TD3's are now in the hands of consumers, there are some mods already being proposed over at gearslutz https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular ... -mods.html
and pictures of the internals are available.
All pretty standard from the looks of it, with topside mounted trimmers/VR's having holes in the board so they can be accessed from the bottom which is nice (even if it's probably only for ease of calibration once assembled at the factory).

Oh and if we though this rate of synth release was mad, supposedly they are just warming up!!!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:01 pm

The Elf wrote:
Wonks wrote:It's a straight lift from the TC June 60 pedal.
Which was disastrously bad IMO. You have to wonder what on earth they did to produce a supposed 'clone' that was so utterly unlike the original?! I'm not a purist about these things, but the June 60 sounds poor by any standard.

Let's hope they've fixed it on the Poly D (though I doubt it will ever be switched on on mine, if I do end up with one of these...).

On the (2?) YT demos I heard, I thought the PolyD chorus sounded decent in mode 1 and 2 but wobbly in mode 1+2. Whereas the June 60 sounded awful in all modes, and even more awful in mode 1+2. So maybe they have tweaked it - goodness knows it needed it. Or maybe the June 60 sounds better with a synth going through it - most of the YT demos were with guitar and were a guaranteed turn off. Shame, it was a great idea in principle, so badly executed.
BillB
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext