You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby ken long » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:19 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
ken long wrote:Not sure about the other models they have but I recently had a 101 shootout and the MS-1 comes nowhere near the sound of the original but hey, who cares.

Ha! I also had a shootout and didn't find them significantly different. They weren't exactly the same, but I bet no two original 101s are exact either – I know I don't sound like I did in the 80s, certainly every time I get out of a chair :( . I reckon any brand new synth isn't going to sound 100% exactly like its 40-year old relative, but I also reckon Behringer's new gear is close enough for music. Same goes for Korg, I've had the new Odyssey alongside an old one and there was a perceptible difference – only really that the old one sounded like an old Odyssey, and the new one sounded like a new Odyssey.

Just had my 101 completely refurbed so, no, it's not that. And although you're right when you say no 101s sound exactly the same, they all sound closer to each other than the different MS-1.

It's like the previous poster said "very VA".

Glad you like it tho! That's the market.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Folderol » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:11 pm

On a slightly different tack. I can never understand people who spend all their time trying to get one synth sounding like something completely different.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:24 pm

Terrible.dee wrote:I don't think Behringer has done a good job, sound-wise, on these "Clones" so far.

I think people have been taken in by the look of these units and disregarded the fact that the sound is, not only, unlike the originals, but VERY V.A sounding,
Define 'V.A. sounding'. These are true analogues, so I'm genuinely curious.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:20 pm

Just had another look at that vid, and I was actually able to see a tiny difference on the waveform traces (couldn't hear it though). On the original there is a tiny bit of a 'flutter' on the bottom edges of the sawtooth and pulse waveforms, suggesting a possible instability. It's not there on the Berry. Having said that, I think the only way you'd ever hear it would be to run at an extremely low pitch and filter out almost everything except the highest frequency components
:headbang:

P.S. That's of course assuming it's not just the display that creating it :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:01 am

The Elf wrote:
Terrible.dee wrote:I don't think Behringer has done a good job, sound-wise, on these "Clones" so far.

I think people have been taken in by the look of these units and disregarded the fact that the sound is, not only, unlike the originals, but VERY V.A sounding,
Define 'V.A. sounding'. These are true analogues, so I'm genuinely curious.

Me too (curious, that is).

I don't think either the Berry D or Pro-One "sound VA" in any meaningful sense. Not that VA is an insult; VA can sound extremely good. The Kingkorg, Radias and Kronos all do VA and produce some superb analogue-like timbres, to the point where I would challenge anyone to tell the difference on many of those sounds in a blind listening test against the Prophet 6, OB-6 etc.

I would also be quite prepared to create such a test and provide it both on stream and a 24-bit downloadable WAV file (including filter sweeps on each patch) if anyone sceptical wants to take me up on that. I'd even throw in a patch from an early 90s pure digital ROMpler and a VA plugin or two.

Actually, I'm going to do it anyway, as this comes up a lot and it's a discussion I'm kind of fed up with these days. Plus it should be a bit of fun!

I'll post something early next week in another thread. It'll be interesting to see what people make of it. I'm off to bed shortly as I'm heading West on a road-trip for the weekend to visit a couple of forum members in that direction who I'd like to see more often than we can make it happen :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:50 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Me too (curious, that is).

I don't think either the Berry D or Pro-One "sound VA" in any meaningful sense. Not that VA is an insult; VA can sound extremely good. The Kingkorg, Radias and Kronos all do VA and produce some superb analogue-like timbres, to the point where I would challenge anyone to tell the difference on many of those sounds in a blind listening test against the Prophet 6, OB-6 etc.

I would also be quite prepared to create such a test and provide it both on stream and a 24-bit downloadable WAV file (including filter sweeps on each patch) if anyone sceptical wants to take me up on that. I'd even throw in a patch from an early 90s pure digital ROMpler and a VA plugin or two.

Actually, I'm going to do it anyway, as this comes up a lot and it's a discussion I'm kind of fed up with these days. Plus it should be a bit of fun!

I'll post something early next week in another thread. It'll be interesting to see what people make of it.

That sounds like it could be a bit of a fun game, or even competition. Rustle up a few sequences, arps or whatever and hear what various Mystery Synths can do with 'em. You could do this as a straight head-to-head analogue vs faux-analogue or open it up further, perhaps separately, to let people showcase a broader range of toys.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:00 am

Terrible.dee wrote:I don't think Behringer has done a good job, sound-wise, on these "Clones" so far

I have to completely disagree, as a previous owner of an original Mini, and a Reissue, I compared these with a friends Behringer D, the Berry was disturbingly good, so good in fact we couldn’t notice a difference at all, between most sounds, OK, there was a slight difference in the behaviour of resonance on certain sounds, but even that was negligible, and you wouldn’t have noticed if it wasn’t pointed out.
More importantly, the essential ingredients of the Mini were all there, that lovely thick smokey sound, the filter, the overloaded mixer, if it was the sound of a Mini I wanted above looks, and resale value, I'd have absolutely no excuse not to buy the Berry.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Zukan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:47 pm

From what The Elf, Dave et al have said they are pretty close, and that's good enough for me.
Zukan

Previous