You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 am

N i g e l wrote:Last time I nulled 2 files I found a version of John Cages 4-33

Which version?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:27 pm

I think nothing beats the LP version for warmth and, organic crackles
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:56 pm

The same guy that did the deep dive comparing the Minimoog with the Berry D has put up another video doing the same but comparing the Minimoog (reissue) with the Poly D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3dEAptsg_A

There are some differences - certainly more so than with the Model D - but it would seem they haven't done a bad job on the Poly D at all; quite the opposite. As with the other releases I'm treating the Poly D as an instrument in its own right rather than comparing it to an original device.

I'm looking forward to the Poly D turning up (I preordered one on the strength of the Model D clone) but as the Pro 1 arrived today my impatience-o-meter has been reset to "no hurry"!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:12 pm

You're making me envious Eddy, of all the Berry synths released so far nothing's tempted me as much as the Pro One.

However, I had a visit from the delivery man myself today so I can't feel too sorry for myself! Possibly more to follow on that subject, but this isn't the thread for it.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:31 pm

I'm hoping to get a shallow 19-inch rack made to hold all these goodies for my shallow self. Even as the owner of an original(s) a neat rack-mounted Pro One does have me salivating.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:00 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm hoping to get a shallow 19-inch rack made to hold all these goodies for my shallow self. Even as the owner of an original(s) a neat rack-mounted Pro One does have me salivating.

Should fit quite well... here it is propped against a 19" rack for comparison:

Mine will be going into the Eurorack rig along with the Model D and Mother 32. It makes it less portable but a lot easier to patch and play about with in conjunction with everything else.

(also sexier and therefore better sounding, but that goes without saying)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:33 pm

That rackmount PC looks awfully familiar . . . looks to the right . . . yep! ;)
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 pm

Any advice on a rack for my purposes gratefully received. I have a LOT of rack units to go in, so I'm looking at 20U plus - Model D, Neutron. Bro-One, MPG-70, new MKS-80 editor...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Well the TD-3 arrived today, Thomann had stock and at only £125 delivered you'd be stupid not to. The adaptor that Thomann ship with it seems good enough not to worry about getting the right plug insert for the adaptor, plus there is a screw that can be tightened to lock the PSU in to the adaptor.

Unexpectedly lightweight at less than 700g, you almost feel like there is nothing inside the box but the sound makes up for the weight.

Does feel sturdy though, knob feel is consistent and all the buttons have a nice click to them.
Could be easily run of a load of batteries in an external case as it inly comes with a 300ma PSU (TC Helicon/Electronics branded if that matters) so uses little power.

All in all feels like a decent product that could easily go for twice the price.

On another side not Thomann's UK website only show prices in pounds now and I can confirm that you get charged in pounds and not Euros, this is good as you then don't incur commission charges on the Euro-GBP conversion, price seems to be fixed vis-à-vis conversion rate and so at the moment buying it form Thomann UK is cheaper that buying it in Euros from their German site. Plus their free delivery amount is now £99 rather than ~£149 previously which is handy.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:46 pm

DGL. wrote:Well the TD-3 arrived today, Thomann had stock and at only £125 delivered you'd be stupid not to.
I managed to score a UK pre-order at £97. Although I have no love whatsoever for the TB-303, or any of its kind, I know a bargain when I see it! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:03 pm

The Elf wrote:
DGL. wrote:Well the TD-3 arrived today, Thomann had stock and at only £125 delivered you'd be stupid not to.
I managed to score a UK pre-order at £97. Although I have no love whatsoever for the TB-303, or any of its kind, I know a bargain when I see it! :lol:

Yes those lucky B******* that got one for £97, the only upside is I have one and you don't :lol: (I would assume, as it appears only Thomann have has stock thus far, they've even been shipping out some of the yellow TD-3's!

Oh and one nice thing is that you do get a smiley face Behringer sticker in the box as well as the standard triangular one, no more dell logo on the back of my laptop for me :D
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:55 am

Oh and something that came up as a reply to a comment on facebook was that when the modules/synths get announced on facebook (the generic style announcements, not the special ones) that is when they are ready to ship from their warehouse, so Thomann should have stock of the announced modules soon!
(for example this post, https://www.facebook.com/behringer/phot ... =3&theater)

Plus new firmware 1.25 for the TD-3 announced, MIDI slide now available.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:50 pm

Behringer's latest wheeze...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBFBGS0 ... iPV42n7xFE

I wonder if this is something to do with Peter Kirn of CDM?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:14 pm

The Korff wrote:Behringer's latest wheeze...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBFBGS0 ... iPV42n7xFE

I wonder if this is something to do with Peter Kirn of CDM?

What's it about though? Is it a dig or an homage? I wouldn't find it funny if it's a dig, though on its own merits without context I found it very funny!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.

Postby The Korff » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:17 pm

The plot thickens!

As I understand it, Peter Kirn of CDM & Meeblip has put up a number of blog posts about Behringer's various clone/homage products, and their business practices, including this old chestnut:

https://cdm.link/2018/06/behringer-have ... efamation/

In December last year, Behringer/The Music Tribe took out a trademark on the name 'Kirn'. After a brief bit of speculation on Gearslutz (LINK: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... -kirn.html) about what kind of synth/instrument it might be, it's starting to look like Behringer's only use for the Kirn name is to post derisory pictures and videos:

Surely not...?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext