You are here

Free Kontakt Player samples?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Free Kontakt Player samples?

Postby garrettendi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Does anyone know of any free or affordable samples for Kontakt Player 5? Specifically I'm looking for a violin/cello sample library. There is an orchestral strings sample with Player 5 already but it seems to not be possible to isolate an instrument.

Cheers! :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Free Kontakt Player samples?

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 pm

You won't find free libraries for the Kontakt Player, because a library developer has to pay a significant fee to NI to provide a library in that format.

No developer is going to pay multi-thousands of pounds to give a library away for free! :headbang:

If you want to use free/inexpensive libraries on the Kontakt platform, you need to buy the full version of Kontakt...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby garrettendi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Ah I didn't know about the fees thing.

Oh well back to the drawing board. What are your thoughts on Linux Sampler?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby desmond » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:30 pm

garrettendi wrote:What are your thoughts on Linux Sampler?

Mine? I have no thoughts on it - I don't even know what it is... :tongue:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:21 pm

The full version of Kontakt will come with almost anything you could need, as long as your requirements aren't too exacting. Plus it opens up the ability to load pretty much any sample you can get hold of.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:58 pm

The Elf wrote:The full version of Kontakt will come with almost anything you could need, as long as your requirements aren't too exacting. Plus it opens up the ability to load pretty much any sample you can get hold of.

Yes, I was amazed at how many sample libraries were bundled with Kontakt, and I've found them most acceptable for daily use.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Logarhythm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm

What's your definition of affordable? :tongue:
If you don't mind working with software other than Kontakt some of the entry-level versions of the orchestral libraries aren't bad and will give you a reasonable range of instruments, articulations etc to go at.
I bought Garritans Personal Orchestra (circa £100) as part of my budget "going to start writing again but don't know whether it will last or how much time I can commit so don't want to spend zillions" exercise last year and whilst it's not likely to be mistaken for the Berlin Phil it's reasonably musical with a bit of effort.

If it's just solo stuff to layer into non-orchestral projects, Soundkeys' CelloFan could be worth a look - not fantastic but it is free. Don't have it in my current setup and not used for a few years, but have a nasty feeling it's 32 bit so depending on your setup it may not be viable: http://soundkeysvst.free.fr/
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby garrettendi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks all

Session Strings is available for £89 and that's probably the max I can justify. I need to separate the violin from the cello and these samples seem to map individual notes to individual instruments but I'm still confused as to whether if I hit say, A4 will I only hear one instrument or a group playing the same note?

I'd love to pay for the full Kontakt with all 1000 instruments it includes but with an upcoming wedding there is no way in hell I can justify spending that money!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MarkOne » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Garritan Personal Orchestra as has already been mentioned really isn't bad for the money. I have an earlier version which still seems good enough I have not yet felt the need to drop money on albeit better, but more expensive libraries.

As well as section strings it has soloists for each section, and while it isn't instant Hans Zimmer soundtrack, a bit of time spent with the key switches will yield pretty convincing results from such a small set of samples
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby garrettendi » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks all! Once I'm safely wed, I think I'll go for Garritan Personal Orchestra.

It says it can be loaded as a VST into a sampler. So I assume it will load into my Harrison Mixbus DAW and be triggered by the Midi tracks?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Logarhythm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 pm

garrettendi wrote:It says it can be loaded as a VST into a sampler. So I assume it will load into my Harrison Mixbus DAW and be triggered by the Midi tracks?
It comes with its own software "player", so you'll open that as a virtual instrument within your DAW (not overly familiar with Mixbus but looks to be fine with VST instruments).
Each instance of Garritan will let you use up to 16 instruments (e.g. 1st violins section counts as one instrument, or a solo violin counts as one instrument), assigned one per channel across 16 MIDI channels, so it's just a case of pointing your MIDI track to the appropriate channel. Subject to your DAW you can in principle load multiple copies of Garritan if you need more than 16 instrument on the go - the software isn't that big or complex by current standards, so shouldn't challenge your PC too much.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby garrettendi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks Logarhythm!

I think I'll go this route!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Calebovich » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Hey Garrett,

Feel free to check out my free cello samples. <a href="https://thefuturemuse.com/real-cello-mayhem-free-cello-kontakt-library/"</a>

All the best,

Caleb
Calebovich

Postby Calebovich » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:15 pm

[quote="Calebovich"]Hey Garrett,

Feel free to check out my free cello samples.

Real Cello Mayhem
https://thefuturemuse.com/real-cello-mayhem-free-cello-kontakt-library
Calebovich

Postby Calebovich » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 pm

Check out these free cello samples for Kontakt 6. We are in the process of producing a full library of cello samples as well. Let me know what you guys think of this free version.

https://thefuturemuse.com/free-cello-samples/
Calebovich