You are here

Circuit or Roland D-05?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Circuit or Roland D-05?

Postby Barjeelik » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi, I am struggling to decide between the above after selling some gear. While I want to still interface with my MacBook and Live for eventual recording of songs, editing etc., time limitations and space constraints mean that quite often I will start projects on the synth/groovebox itself and sound the more enjoyable but of music making on whichever device.

Annoyingly, from a decision making perspective, I like lots of things about both: Circuit's hands on controls, excellent support, sample upload (though I may get a PO-33 K.O. anyway) and sequencing possibilities; the D-05's huge banks of sounds and easy (in my opinion) to use sequencer, keys and audio over USB. The Circuit has a more comprehensive sequencer but is groups of 16 steps, the D-05 is simpler (less visual for gate adjust etc.) but ties notes ingeniously (see Nu-trix's video) and has 64 steps.
Both are portable, small (I lack space at home) and can sequence external gear (my Volca Keys/FM & Microbrute), and both are just within price range.

I would be very pleased to hear the opinions of anyone who has and uses either before I leap.

Barjeelik
Regular

Re: Circuit or Roland D-05?

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:27 pm

I don't own a D-05 but I do own a JP-08. So from a generic perspective, mini jack audio output aside, the build quality and sound of the Boutique is first rate and as you said, has tons of patches available.

The Circuit looks great but has a totally different workflow.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Barjeelik » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks Ben, do you use the audio over USB on your JP-08 to get sound into your computer and if so does that work well?
Oddly, and I know I'm in a minority here, I don't mind the mini jacks as it's handy for putting the Volcas into the mix in and using the boutique as a audio interface.
Regards
Barjeelik
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:42 pm

I only use USB for loading patches. I use the analogue outs to my interface.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Barjeelik » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Ok, thanks Ben.
Barjeelik
Regular

Postby Chaconne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:40 am

I have a D 05 and a JP08, and have recently replaced my soundcard and MIDI interface with the D 05. All I occasionally record is guitar or analog synths and I decided that actually the recorded sound from the mini jack into the boutiques works fine. However there is no direct monitoring.

So for me having a synth like the D05 acting as my soundcard and MIDI into the computer is great, since the D 05 goes in via the same USB connection, same with the JP08 - however I really love the D 05, I use it all the time for composing, and layer it with a JX8P. If I didn't like the D 05 then I would be thinking why am I using a synth for my soundcard? - if you know what I mean, but for me trying to ditch some boxes it works well, but the circuit is of no real interest to me soundwise.
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Barjeelik » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:59 am

Hi Chaccone,
That is pretty much exactly the usage I envisaged.
So you have no issues with the USB audio then, which is good to hear.
I will probably retain an audio interface for guitar/vocals if I ever get back to recording those.
I have heard some good sounds form the Circuit (Precept's 'Distance' on Youtube) but also a lot of less interesting stuff, though it is hands-on and in it sown way, visual, too.
Any added insight you can give re your usage of the D-05 would be very welcome before I leap!
Regards
Barjeelik
Regular

Postby Barjeelik » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Actually Chaconne,
Can I ask when using the mix in for your JP-08 etc. and using the D-05 as a sound card how do you mute the sound on the D-05 so that only the JP-03 is fed through?
My intention is to use the D-05's sequencer to sequence the Volca Keys/FM and record that into Ableton live.

Thanks
Barjeelik
Regular

Postby Chaconne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:18 am

I normally have either the JP08 or D 05 connected, my computer is happy about hot swapping the one I need. However you have to treat the onboard synth as if it is module obviously if you want to silence it, either by stopping the MIDI playing, or set it to a different MIDI channel of you don't want to play it when playing MIDI through it to another synth.
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Barjeelik » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:37 pm

Right, so if I want to sequence a Volca say with the D-05, put the Volca into the D-05's mix in and input that to my Mac without the D-05 sounding is that possible do you know?

Regards
Barjeelik
Regular

Postby Chaconne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 am

I didn't know you could sequence external instruments from a boutique to be honest - are you sure you can ?
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Barjeelik » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:26 am

Morning, yes via the midi out. I have read that a few people do that.
Barjeelik
Regular

Postby Chaconne » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 am

I will have to try that. To be honest right now I'm not sure, if this does work, how you would stop the sequencer playing the internal voice as well.
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Barjeelik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Apparently people do it but I guess you'd have to create a blank patch in the D-05 if such a thing is possible or just lower the current patch's volume to nil?

Regards

Rob
Barjeelik
Regular