You are here

What hardware for 'Adventure Time' title-card music?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

What hardware for 'Adventure Time' title-card music?

Postby marumbra » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:53 pm

I want to kickstart my production by buying a couple of synths, my goal is to master sound design and create 'Adventure Time' title-card sounding tracks, which synths would help me accomplish this?
marumbra
Poster

Re: What hardware for 'Adventure Time' title-card music?

Postby resistorman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 am

Those card themes are a very creative use in a short time of a wide range of acoustic and synthesized sounds and efx. A DAW and VST plugins, and a big sound library. But really, it's such a wide range, start with whatever you have to hand, it's a lot like writing haiku, not so much as having the "right" synth. It's a style, and you should be able to get results with almost anything, because it sounds like they get an idea and run at it with joy and abandon.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby marumbra » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:21 am

resistorman wrote:Those card themes are a very creative use in a short time of a wide range of acoustic and synthesized sounds and efx. A DAW and VST plugins, and a big sound library. But really, it's such a wide range, start with whatever you have to hand, it's a lot like writing haiku, not so much as having the "right" synth. It's a style, and you should be able to get results with almost anything, because it sounds like they get an idea and run at it with joy and abandon.

That's an amazing answer, thank you, but I don't really have any hardware in terms of creating that style in the first place.
marumbra
Poster

Postby resistorman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:42 pm

I can recommend the Yamaha MX49, I believe it was because of this review here at SOS: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-mx49
It has a wide range of sounds and immense programmability, though you really need the voice editor mentioned in the review to get at it. It also comes with Cubase, so with a PC, you have a fairly complete package since it acts as an interface too.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby marumbra » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Is Ableton with Serum enough? I was thinking of playing live, hence, wanted something physical
marumbra
Poster

Postby resistorman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 am

All I can say is try stuff and see what inspires you... the Adventure Time title themes I've heard use a huge variety of sounds, though admittedly they do like their lo-fi. It's not like it's a genre that uses one standard sound like an 808 or string quartet or guitar or whatever. Seems to me they never met a sound they didn't like.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby marumbra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 am

resistorman wrote:All I can say is try stuff and see what inspires you... the Adventure Time title themes I've heard use a huge variety of sounds, though admittedly they do like their lo-fi. It's not like it's a genre that uses one standard sound like an 808 or string quartet or guitar or whatever. Seems to me they never met a sound they didn't like.

Thank you so much.
marumbra
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:34 am

Can anyone help out those of us who are thinking "What the hell is 'Adventure Time'"??! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Korff » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 am

A very trippy cartoon. It might be on Netflix?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:29 am

Ha ha ha! Thanks guys. I've learned something today. :bouncy:

They remind me of the music from my beloved and sadly missed 'Rocko's Modern Life'.

I think my only advice would be to get a Commodore 64 (and I'm only half-joking!). :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:21 pm

The Elf wrote:Ha ha ha! Thanks guys. I've learned something today. :bouncy:

So have I :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Adventure Time is the most bonkers, yet touching and existential cartoon ever. There is an overarching plot, but it's not at all clear and each episode can be silly and unconnected. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone - I know it's not for everyone, but if you can get down with the weirdness, there are episodes that turn up that are really moving. (can you tell I like it?) :)
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale