You are here

How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Ramirez » Fri May 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Great work.

Let's do another soon, I've just bought my first ever synth and wouldn't mind a shot!
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 04, 2018 1:47 pm

I think I've identified Folderol's and Dave B's but I have no idea of the others. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Fri May 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Please note - my silly, spoofy ditty was just meant as a harmless bit of fun which took 30 seconds as I was waiting for me toast to do. Didn't mean for it to end up there and did message Dave a couple of times to remove it but they don't seem to have been sent as I can't see them in the outbox.

Apologies for wasting anyone's time who listened to it.

Maybe u can dump that masterpiece Dave? :)

(It was done on one synth tho a gives a flavour of the true potential of the Matrixbrute)

As u were.

Cheers.

Postby Dave B » Fri May 04, 2018 3:01 pm

I can bin it if you want Chris, but I'd say leave it there. Like you say, it gives a flavour of the synth. And I thought it was another synth...

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Folderol » Fri May 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Now all we have to do is try to work out who did what.
Easier said than done :o
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby BillB » Fri May 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Well, I can give you a clue, in fact a spolier... mine is the one that demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of how to get the master volume to an acceptable level. Thought I had it touching 0db on the meters of the stereo mix, but it's about half the volume of anybody else's :headbang:

What I will say is that it was great to be pushed to use gear that spends too much time being thought about and not enough time being actually used. The voluntary deadline was just enough to make it happen, without any pressure spoiling the fun of doing it. And comparing against "the pro's" - there are a lot of lessons to be learned :beamup:

Good fun, let's do it again! ...In a little while.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby arkieboy » Fri May 04, 2018 7:30 pm

There was a time when I could have named all the synths used in a challenge like this, sadly I'm completely flummoxed now - been playing guitar too long ...

Lots of interesting and diverse stuff here.

I love the bass sound on East German Boogie - there's something about the drum claps that reminds me of 'Arpegiator' from 'Concerts in China' ... no idea who or what though. It ought to be a moog with a bass like that. Mother 32?

If I had to hazard a guess then I would say that 'Ghost Train Remix' was on something Waldorf-ish because of the HF content. But there's something that says 'Prophet' to me too. I guess that's shown up just how out of touch I am.

And I think DaveB's track is Sweet Chance, but I have no idea what its recorded on. I thought I might have a slight advantage in that I have been in his studio, but he turns over so much gear that its no advantage worth mentioning!!
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Guest » Fri May 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Dave B wrote:I can bin it if you want Chris, but I'd say leave it there. Like you say, it gives a flavour of the synth. And I thought it was another synth...

:)

Yo,

I PM'd u mate. U may or may not get it as it seems to a) not send or b) stay in the outbox. I don't get it. Anyway, I just said leave it no probs altho I deliberately picked a crap sound so it don't really show the synth off very well :)

On reflection it was the Matrixbrute not the Sub37.

CS

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 04, 2018 10:02 pm

Ok, I reckon EastGermanBoogie is Dave B and Sweet Chance is Folderol. I have no idea about any others.
But we can also assume that arkieboy didn't write EastGermanBoogie, GhostTrain Remix or Sweet Chance.
Because he's a gent and would never praise his own submission in such a way, we can also assume that Folderol didn't write New Black Moon or X air on a C synth.
Similarly Jumpeyspider probably didn't write EastGermanBoogie. New Black Moon or X air on a C synth.

It's like one of those logic puzzles...

In conclusion, Mrs Peacock, in the library, with the candlestick! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dave B » Fri May 04, 2018 11:41 pm

arkieboy wrote:... DaveB's .... I thought I might have a slight advantage in that I have been in his studio, but he turns over so much gear that its no advantage worth mentioning!!

In fairness, quite a lot of it stays and it's rare that things come and go quickly. At least quickly on my timescales .. ;)

Someone has got the right person to the right track. Nobody has got a synth right yet. In Chris's case, initially even he got the synth wrong for his own track! :D

I'll post the results after the weekend. I think that there may be a couple of surprises. I guess it shows the breadth of sound from modern kit - only 1 'vintage' synth in the whole lot. And I think I'm right in saying that there is no moog - of any kind - in here. Mini or otherwise.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Folderol » Fri May 04, 2018 11:59 pm

I've given up trying to guess, but am thoroughly enjoying everyone else's attempts :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Sat May 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Haven't got a clue who made which track or using what synth, but really enjoyed listening to the various entries and some very impressive stuff :clap:
Sincerely hope work/life quietens down a bit so I can have a proper go at the next one, although a little unnerved by the high standard of peoples' efforts this time :blush:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Richie Royale » Sat May 05, 2018 3:06 pm

I'll leave a clue that mine is the unnamed modern analogue monosynth. And that synth is a Studio Electronics .. .... :tongue:
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sat May 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Well I don't know about leaving clues. I suppose I could say I used a synth I've mentioned a few times before :)
However, which track it is? No hints there :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Logarhythm » Sat May 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Folderol wrote:Well I don't know about leaving clues. I suppose I could say I used a synth I've mentioned a few times before :)
That's really helpful Mr F - would never have guessed :lol:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

PreviousNext