You are here

How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby BillB » Fri May 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Well, I can give you a clue, in fact a spolier... mine is the one that demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of how to get the master volume to an acceptable level. Thought I had it touching 0db on the meters of the stereo mix, but it's about half the volume of anybody else's :headbang:

What I will say is that it was great to be pushed to use gear that spends too much time being thought about and not enough time being actually used. The voluntary deadline was just enough to make it happen, without any pressure spoiling the fun of doing it. And comparing against "the pro's" - there are a lot of lessons to be learned :beamup:

Good fun, let's do it again! ...In a little while.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby arkieboy » Fri May 04, 2018 7:30 pm

There was a time when I could have named all the synths used in a challenge like this, sadly I'm completely flummoxed now - been playing guitar too long ...

Lots of interesting and diverse stuff here.

I love the bass sound on East German Boogie - there's something about the drum claps that reminds me of 'Arpegiator' from 'Concerts in China' ... no idea who or what though. It ought to be a moog with a bass like that. Mother 32?

If I had to hazard a guess then I would say that 'Ghost Train Remix' was on something Waldorf-ish because of the HF content. But there's something that says 'Prophet' to me too. I guess that's shown up just how out of touch I am.

And I think DaveB's track is Sweet Chance, but I have no idea what its recorded on. I thought I might have a slight advantage in that I have been in his studio, but he turns over so much gear that its no advantage worth mentioning!!
User avatar
arkieboy
Regular
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordish

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Guest » Fri May 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Dave B wrote:I can bin it if you want Chris, but I'd say leave it there. Like you say, it gives a flavour of the synth. And I thought it was another synth...

:)

Yo,

I PM'd u mate. U may or may not get it as it seems to a) not send or b) stay in the outbox. I don't get it. Anyway, I just said leave it no probs altho I deliberately picked a crap sound so it don't really show the synth off very well :)

On reflection it was the Matrixbrute not the Sub37.

CS
Guest

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 04, 2018 10:02 pm

Ok, I reckon EastGermanBoogie is Dave B and Sweet Chance is Folderol. I have no idea about any others.
But we can also assume that arkieboy didn't write EastGermanBoogie, GhostTrain Remix or Sweet Chance.
Because he's a gent and would never praise his own submission in such a way, we can also assume that Folderol didn't write New Black Moon or X air on a C synth.
Similarly Jumpeyspider probably didn't write EastGermanBoogie. New Black Moon or X air on a C synth.

It's like one of those logic puzzles...

In conclusion, Mrs Peacock, in the library, with the candlestick! :)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9596
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Dave B » Fri May 04, 2018 11:41 pm

arkieboy wrote:... DaveB's .... I thought I might have a slight advantage in that I have been in his studio, but he turns over so much gear that its no advantage worth mentioning!!

In fairness, quite a lot of it stays and it's rare that things come and go quickly. At least quickly on my timescales .. ;)

Someone has got the right person to the right track. Nobody has got a synth right yet. In Chris's case, initially even he got the synth wrong for his own track! :D

I'll post the results after the weekend. I think that there may be a couple of surprises. I guess it shows the breadth of sound from modern kit - only 1 'vintage' synth in the whole lot. And I think I'm right in saying that there is no moog - of any kind - in here. Mini or otherwise.
User avatar
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5435
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Folderol » Fri May 04, 2018 11:59 pm

I've given up trying to guess, but am thoroughly enjoying everyone else's attempts :bouncy:
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10116
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Logarhythm » Sat May 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Haven't got a clue who made which track or using what synth, but really enjoyed listening to the various entries and some very impressive stuff :clap:
Sincerely hope work/life quietens down a bit so I can have a proper go at the next one, although a little unnerved by the high standard of peoples' efforts this time :blush:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 am
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Richie Royale » Sat May 05, 2018 3:06 pm

I'll leave a clue that mine is the unnamed modern analogue monosynth. And that synth is a Studio Electronics .. .... :tongue:
User avatar
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4599
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Bristol, England.
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Folderol » Sat May 05, 2018 5:16 pm

Well I don't know about leaving clues. I suppose I could say I used a synth I've mentioned a few times before :)
However, which track it is? No hints there :lol:
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10116
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Logarhythm » Sat May 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Folderol wrote:Well I don't know about leaving clues. I suppose I could say I used a synth I've mentioned a few times before :)
That's really helpful Mr F - would never have guessed :lol:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 am
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby MarkyC » Sat May 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Sorry not great at naming the synths but can I just say how much I enjoyed giving this a go.

I learnt more in a month than I have done in ages! And not just synths, listening to others and then thinking why does my mix/master sound so bad. I had never even heard of an LUFS before let alone what the impact was (In fact it was a response the Hugh gave to another query that really helped).

With some of the tracks up I'm still thinking how did he make that sound so big and clear. Obviously I still have a lot to learn and this was a great way of doing it.

Many thanks :thumbup:
User avatar
MarkyC
Regular
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:00 am
Location: London

'One Synth' challenge - RESULTS

Postby Dave B » Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 am

OK gang, it's time for the results. Hopefully this was fun for people both taking part and just having a listen. Now you can listen again but know what to listen out for!

(drum roll ....... ta-dish!)

So :

* Are Friends Electric was by Jumpeyspyder and was performed on a Crumar DS2. I'll let JS explain the hell involved in creating that!
* Cars is by ArkieBoy. There were some sampled drums from Addictive Drums, a couple of SDS5 samples, but all of the synth parts were created using VRM modelling on the Roland VG99 guitar processor!
* EastGermanBoogie was by me! This used Linndrum samples from Addictive Drums2, the inbuilt Logic vocoder and an Analogue Solutions Leipzig
* Ghost Train Remix was by Folderol using Yoshimi for everything!
* New Black Moon was by Marky C. He used a Roland TR8 for drums and Access Virus for the synths.
* One Synth Project Master was by Richie Royale. The entire thing was done on an SE Boomstar 3003 - the TB303 filter one.
* Sweet Chance was by BillB and used a Nord Rack 3
* Temple of Gatedom was by Ready Salted Chris and was a MaxiBrute
* X-air on a C synth was by blinddrew and used Air Xpand!2 for everything

Wow. Bet there's some raised eyebrows for that lot. From my point of view, once you know you can start to listen out for the tell-tale signs, but it's still tough. Top marks all round for the programming and arranging.

As for my own offering, I can only go on the record as offering a truly heartfelt apology to the whole of Germany and hope they saw the funny side. Best thing I've seen recently is The Elf's reaction to the track - he laughed so hard I thought he was going to hurt himself.

:D
User avatar
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5435
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Folderol » Mon May 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Quite a few surprises there, although i should have guessed yours would be the er... 'unusual' one :bouncy: I would never have guessed any of the others, ether the composers or the synths used.


My totally inexpert impressions:

Are Friends Electric -> I think it needs more movement for that length.

Cars -> Strongly reminds me of something much older but can't remember what it was (an age thing maybe). Liked it.

EastGermanBoogie -> Nuff sed :tongue: (actually the music itself is not bad at all).

Ghost Train Remix -> Moving swiftly on, but delighted no one seemed to cotton on.

New Black Moon-> I really enjoyed this one. We'll have to keep an eye on this guy! Should probably be played at 11, driving an open-frame kit car across a mountainside.

One Synth Project Master -> Some nice details in this. I'm guessing it's aimed at the Trance genre, so I found it a bit repetitive from a listening point of view.

Sweet Chance -> Quite a smoothie here - but I'm a sucker for pad sounds :)

Temple of Gatedom -> This sounds extremely 'modular' - so I would have got that quite wrong. Oh well.

X-air on a C synth -> Ah yes, the guy who says he's new to all of this casually knocks out a class performance. Will be keeping an eye on you too :lol:
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10116
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: 'One Synth' challenge - RESULTS

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Mon May 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Dave B wrote:* Are Friends Electric was by Jumpeyspyder and was performed on a Crumar DS2. I'll let JS explain the hell involved in creating that!
:D

Once upon a time.... there was an idiot :)

OK, time to explain/ (Make excuses ;) ), since I had so much help and support repairing the DS-2 from this forum, it seemed fitting to use it for this challenge.

Thinks: "this will be great,, but Oh dear, I'm not a keyboardist (I just love making sounds and programming.)

"not a problem - I 'll sequence it.."

OOpps forgot DS-2 only has a Gate in - NO CV :o

Ok, I'll make a start and use the gate, to trigger the drums parts individually to keep them tight (like people did, before drum machines), and later try to learn the keyboard parts...

Pleased with Drums - shame I can't make a decent Hi-Hat I'll just have to use a metallic sound and hope no one notices ;)

Try to play/ learn Key parts - Oh dear - talent/ memory deficit - No joy....

OK this is going to be tough .. but, I'm not giving up here,
I think, I could use the gate to sequence each individual note just like I did with the drums parts.
80 ish track later :-
Image

What I learned !!

a/ Do not use this method, unless you are slightly deranged - or want to be ! ;)
b/ Unfortunatly, I didn't pay enough attention to minimising signal path / ground loops.

Was thinking this is just a bit of fun - It doesn't have to be perfect - which meant I had to put a low end filter to get rid of a nasty hum during mixdown. - (lost a lot of the meat from the overall sound)

c/ having to put sounds together without knowing how the end result will be is very hard. eg My strings sound was sounding good in its lower registers but only discovered how piercing it was up high after I'd spent hours putting it all together.

d/ Dont try to fake portamento by bending notes with a pitch bend - that doesn't always return exactly to zero. :blush: must get that fixed

All in all, Its not perfect but apart from my rather poor/rushed mix, I'm rather proud of it !
User avatar
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:00 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 'One Synth' challenge - RESULTS

Postby Folderol » Mon May 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Jumpeyspyder wrote:
Dave B wrote:* Are Friends Electric was by Jumpeyspyder and was performed on a Crumar DS2. I'll let JS explain the hell involved in creating that!
:D

Once upon a time.... there was an idiot :)

OK, time to explain/ (Make excuses ;) ), since I had so much help and support repairing the DS-2 from this forum, it seemed fitting to use it for this challenge.

Thinks: "this will be great,, but Oh dear, I'm not a keyboardist (I just love making sounds and programming.)

"not a problem - I 'll sequence it.."

OOpps forgot DS-2 only has a Gate in - NO CV :o

Ok, I'll make a start and use the gate, to trigger the drums parts individually to keep them tight (like people did, before drum machines), and later try to learn the keyboard parts...

Pleased with Drums - shame I can't make a decent Hi-Hat I'll just have to use a metallic sound and hope no one notices ;)

Try to play/ learn Key parts - Oh dear - talent/ memory deficit - No joy....

OK this is going to be tough .. but, I'm not giving up here,
I think, I could use the gate to sequence each individual note just like I did with the drums parts.
80 ish track later :-
Image

What I learned !!

a/ Do not use this method, unless you are slightly deranged - or want to be ! ;)
b/ Unfortunatly, I didn't pay enough attention to minimising signal path / ground loops.

Was thinking this is just a bit of fun - It doesn't have to be perfect - which meant I had to put a low end filter to get rid of a nasty hum during mixdown. - (lost a lot of the meat from the overall sound)

c/ having to put sounds together without knowing how the end result will be is very hard. eg My strings sound was sounding good in its lower registers but only discovered how piercing it was up high after I'd spent hours putting it all together.

d/ Dont try to fake portamento by bending notes with a pitch bend - that doesn't always return exactly to zero. :blush: must get that fixed

All in all, Its not perfect but apart from my rather poor/rushed mix, I'm rather proud of it !

Ah! Didn't realise just how much effort was involved. I doff my hat to you sir!
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10116
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

PreviousNext