You are here

How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: How about a 'One Synth' challenge?

Postby Folderol » Wed May 09, 2018 1:16 pm

LdashD wrote:Hmm, I might come back, Folderol needs to sort 'is sounds out
Can you be more specific? Exactly what do you believe is wrong?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby Guest » Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Folderol wrote:
LdashD wrote:Hmm, I might come back, Folderol needs to sort 'is sounds out
Can you be more specific? Exactly what do you believe is wrong?

I’m whizzing thru these don’t you know, nice though it is I could play, not finger, a better arp than dat, and one can barely ‘ear it lad, arp’s OK, (at right level though) and OK isn’t good enough for my music, it needs to be much better than OK to get past me, but a diff far superior arp than that would alone ‘ave a huge dramatic improving effect… would also make you sit up and take notice and hopefully raise your game a wee tad.

The whole mix is in yer face all the time, it’s one dimensional, needs some dynamics, it’s this amateurishness that masks/disguises the melodic quality of your otherwise lovely little piece…

The power and potential majesty of your more than ‘alf-decent little ditty is not being realised ol’ chap…

It wouldn’t ‘urt to drop down to a single bleedin’ instrument now & then, then build up again…

From day one, when working on any song and depending on how much I’ve changed it & cos I know I will need to scrutinise the mix and the structure etc, many many times, I run off a copy, if you don’t do this…

Da trick in dis music biz of ours is to take your work more seriously regardless of ones’ fellow expert opinions, maybe, jus’ maybe you know better eh, I should bloody know… er, or not.

Postby arkieboy » Wed May 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Ok, so the story behind 'Cars'.

I used to do guitar synthesis almost to the exclusion of normal guitar since I picked up a GR700/G707 from Jones and Crossland on the Smallbrook Queensway in Birmingham. Problem was that the sound didn't sit in any kind of space, so I took delivery of one of the first SPX90s to go with it and I had many happy years out of the unit until I replaced it with a midiverb 2. As you know, the 90 had a really good pitch shifter effect that could thicken up practically anything, but I used the reverbs and delays almost exclusively. Many synths later Ark folded and I gave synths up.

20 years later Ark briefly reformed (AX100 Mk II this time) leading to a stint with Paul Menel mainly on guitar, which lead to a VG88MkII before going all in with a VG99. The 99 is to a first approximation at least twice an 88 which means you can use its two channels as oscillators and get thicker sounds, but it still wasn't convincing until I happened upon the included pitch shifter which thickens the basic oscillator beautifully without swirlyness. Double, detune and a whole host of basic synth sounds suddenly become hugely convincing with the bonus control you get from interacting directly with the sound source - the strings - with no perceptible delay.

During the Ark reformation I made the online acquaintance of HollowSun. I purchased his prog pack and he also sent me some taurus samples he had mixed from raw oscillator samples produced by the Elf which - with the help of a wave station SR and a VA which will remain nameless in anticipation of future one synth challenges - became the backbone of the album Ark recorded which should have been the foundation of an Indian Summer, but just lead to another split. HS also directed me to a painstaking multisample of 'Vox Humana' which he gave away free, and I immediately fell in love with. I was at a lose end a couple of months ago, and having already cloned several of my main Oberheim presets in the 99, I thought I'd see how close I could get with this.

Posting a preset to an online forum really requires you to make a demo so people can hear the context the sound fits into, and since Gary Numan practically made a whole career from that one sound, there wasn't much hesitation on committing to that track. I found a midi for the drums online (I suck at drum programming), tarted it up with sounds from KitCore, played the bass guitar using HRM from my trusty Brian Moore iGuitar, quickly dashed off a couple of sounds to cover the other parts and placed VoxHumana in its pride of place on top of the mix. I ran out of modulators in the VG so the phaser at the end is from Logic.

So the whole package got posted to vguitarforums https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index ... ic=21629.0 and I forgot about it until DaveB said 'one synth challenge'. And I thought ... " I bet no-one would guess ... "

(you might need an account to hear the other VoxHumana demos, or the ones I did of Subdivisions and 'Follow You')
arkieboy
Regular
arK music

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Wed May 09, 2018 3:50 pm

All very informative Lash. Jolly good feedback!

Can you offer any tips on mine? The Temple of Gatedom? I thought about some handclaps or something? You know, just to 'broaden it out' a bit as they say. Just to add that 'cherry layer' (I think this is a term the pro's use).

Cheers.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Wed May 09, 2018 3:59 pm

arkieboy wrote:
During the Ark reformation I made the online acquaintance of HollowSun. I purchased his prog pack and he also sent me some taurus samples he had mixed from raw oscillator samples produced by the Elf which - with the help of a wave station SR and a VA which will remain nameless in anticipation of future one synth challenges - became the backbone of the album Ark recorded which should have been the foundation of an Indian Summer, but just lead to another split. HS also directed me to a painstaking multisample of 'Vox Humana' which he gave away free, and I immediately fell in love with. I was at a lose end a couple of months ago, and having already cloned several of my main Oberheim presets in the 99, I thought I'd see how close I could get with this.

Good stuff! Massive HS fan here. In fact, was only just today using the rather splendid (and ridiuclously low priced) Cathotron. Cannot recommend Steve's products highly enough.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby MarkyC » Wed May 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Blimey Arkiboy, not only a great track with big sounds but a true commitment to a piece of gear. I'm impressed and humbled. What a great thing(s) to do. :clap:
MarkyC
Regular

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed May 09, 2018 5:17 pm

arkieboy wrote:
(you might need an account to hear the other VoxHumana demos, or the ones I did of Subdivisions and 'Follow You')

fantastic to hear the story, :)

...where do I find Subdivisions ????
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Wed May 09, 2018 8:19 pm

ReadySaltedChris wrote:All very informative Lash. Jolly good feedback!

Can you offer any tips on mine? The Temple of Gatedom? I thought about some handclaps or something? You know, just to 'broaden it out' a bit as they say. Just to add that 'cherry layer' (I think this is a term the pro's use).

Cheers.

First impression was, week or so ago, skipping through ‘em, Friends Electric, Cars, East German boogie, stood out as better/stronger and just about being there, one way or the other, Cars was particularly impressive, and on reflection especially as I thought it was the same analogue synths originally used. But I won’t bother mentioning that, shit. Foldy’s also stood out cos of strong melodic content.

Ghost train needs to look at my earlier Folderol comment…

Black moon ‘as da right very nice elements but needs to get ‘is mixing up to scratch cos it doesn’t do ‘is very decent music justice, contents are more than good enough …

One synth proj master, must’ve not listened to dat cos it’s very impressive in many aspects I will return and give it a whirl again…it would’ve stood out if’n I was on top of me game…

Sweet chance see Folderol…

Drew’s is too busy and not enough defined melody too much waffling on, listen to cars bassline use them notes and find a diff wicked bass line and start from there, it’s not about musicianship, it’s the intervals… if you can’t do dat you can’t do it, you need to define and discern in huge doses…

You, you cheeky little… if’n I could’ve been arsed I would’ve jus’ sampled it and sorted out a well spiffing/bangin’ club track, and jus’ played you that. Course and ol’ git like you wouldn’t know ‘ow to go about such a beast. any way I suspect you’re already a fairly accomplished writer, if not, you sir, are a bloody idiot… there’s also been well wicked club tracks that ‘ave silly riffs, I knew I ‘ad one on Atari from yonks ago, a wee bit of thought, hey presto, its called, wait for it… ‘daft’ I think you can already write very well, if not…

I fink you should all do a track together, I also think DdashB should team up wiv AdashB on vox wiv a Boss vo1 or similar maybe and release Cars, and other classics from dat era, course no bod’s ever gonna make a living outa gigging one song say like er, Spirit in da Sky are they.

If you don’t like the music you’re hearing, yours or others, do something about it.

I should bleedin’ know.

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Wed May 09, 2018 9:28 pm

LdashD wrote:if not, you sir, are a bloody idiot…

Thank you! :)
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 10, 2018 5:14 am

Martin Walker wrote:CC loans out wives?!?!?!?!!??

Do they ALL compose brilliantly? :o

Just looked in on this thread, saw this and read it to my wife. I think she thinks you're sweet. Think she might draw the line at being loaned to you but there's sufficient doubt in my mind that I'd prefer it if you didn't ask.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 10, 2018 7:57 am

LdashD wrote:Drew’s is too busy and not enough defined melody too much waffling on, listen to cars bassline use them notes and find a diff wicked bass line and start from there, it’s not about musicianship, it’s the intervals… if you can’t do dat you can’t do it, you need to define and discern in huge doses…
Guilty as charged, 'twas primarily an exercise in learning what jamorigin and Xpand! could do (or rather, what I could do with them) as well as a distraction from the other stuff I'm working on. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby arkieboy » Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 am

Jumpeyspyder wrote:...where do I find Subdivisions ????

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index ... #msg155943

There are two demos in there, one for the intro and another later in the thread with the lead solo. Again, midi from the net, kitcore for sounds and everything else is a VG99 played live old school.

If you can't access them, reply to the thread and I'll resurrect my soundcloud account
arkieboy
Regular
arK music

Postby Dave B » Thu May 10, 2018 11:27 am

Maybe I'm missing them, but it looks like you need to be logged in to see any attachments... I can stick the files up on Soundcloud if you want Steve.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby arkieboy » Thu May 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Dave B wrote:Maybe I'm missing them, but it looks like you need to be logged in to see any attachments... I can stick the files up on Soundcloud if you want Steve.

You should have an email with a dropbox link

Steve
arkieboy
Regular
arK music

Postby arkieboy » Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Dave B wrote:And I think I'm right in saying that there is no moog - of any kind - in here. Mini or otherwise.

... but Paul Nagle mentions the word 'Moog' no less than ten times in his review of the Leipzig S

:round1:
arkieboy
Regular
arK music

Postby Dave B » Fri May 11, 2018 12:00 am

For anyone interested, I've created a quick Soundcloud playlist for ArkieBoy's demos :

https://soundcloud.com/hybridian-music/sets/arkie-boys-vg99-demos/s-X4keP

Very nice :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Fri May 11, 2018 12:11 am

thanks Dave & Arkie :)

Top notch :)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Sat May 12, 2018 11:01 am

Thoroughly enjoyed listening to your lovely tracks.

Well done guys!
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Sat May 12, 2018 11:30 am

Bloody big pats on the backs, guys. Very inspiring stuff!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Richie Royale » Sat May 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Good work all round.

Today I'm making drums from hitting a bin and a block of wood. :headbang:
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

PreviousNext