You are here

First Analogue Synth advice needed!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

First Analogue Synth advice needed!

Postby sam_ual » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:55 am

Hey guys,
first post here

Righto, I'm about to dive into the world of analogue synths and wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on how my dollars would be best spent. I've gotten very familiar with Ableton over the past 6 or so years but I'm ready to step it up a notch with some good hardware equipment.

I'm a big fan of most well known Techno artists, namely Stephan Bodzin, Oliver Huntemann, Maceo Plex etc.

So here's what I'm looking at:
Option 1: Arturia Minibrute 2S + Roland TR8S Drum Machine
Option 2: Moog Sub 37

I'm open to all other suggestions also within this kind of price range, but from what I've seen these are the kind of machines that will satisfy the type of sounds I'm looking for.

Obviously option 1 would be more suited to live performances, but that's only a small factor at the present time. I just thought that if I had the funds available for the Moog, as well as being very influenced by the amazing sounds of Mr. Stephan Bodzin, should I just go for it? Or would I find the Minibrute 2S and the TR8S more rewarding in terms of Techno production/creativity/fun etc.

Any replies are much appreciated,

Cheers
sam_ual

Re: First Analogue Synth advice needed!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:19 am

Can't comment on option 1, but I have the Moog Subsequent 37CV and it is a really nice synth with a lot of modulation options and features and a really great range of sounds -- and a great keyboard action too. Some menu diving is required, but not much, and once programmed a patch can be stored as a preset. I don't regret buying mine.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dave B » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:35 am

This is a great time for analogue synths. There is so much available and it's hard to recommend anything bad.

I've tried the Sub37 and very much liked it's flexibility. It can get a good range of sounds and some of them are very 'un-moog-ish' which is a real bonus. I haven't tried the Arturia 'Brutes in anger so can't comment directly, but everyone else is very happy with them.

I'd also throw another couple of options at you (just to confuse you further). Sorry .. ;)

1. Arp Odyssey - if the size doesn't bother you (I'm fine with it), it's a great synth and cheaper than you are looking to spend. It's a brilliant 'my first synth' that you never outgrow.

2. Analogue Solutions - look at their catalogue and drool because it is _all_ good stuff. In your budget would be the Fusebox (the latest offering and a monster of a synth), as well as the Leipzig and the Telemark (for when you want raw power and something sweeter respectively).

3. Look at a Eurorack system. There are _so_ many brilliant sounding modules out there including great starter modules like the Boomstars. The advantage of a modular is that if a synth doesn't have a particular feature, you just get another module and plumb it in. It may look overwhelming at first, but it is pure joy once you get going.

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:30 pm

Nothing wrong with the Sub37, but I'd take a serious look at the Arturia MatrixBrute - that is a whole lot of synth for the money and with a bit of haggling you could bring one home for a similar price.

It really is a good time to be buying synths. There are so many great options out there.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 pm

I would strongly advise you to try them all out before buying. Different synth manufacturers have very different sounds, feels, and feature sets. Do you want mono-, poly-, or paraphonic? Is extensive modulation important to you? Do you want future expansion by way of modular outputs?

If you are like looking for a mono analogue synth for lead or bass lines with a lot of expansion capabilities, great sound, and an awesome price tag, you cannot go wrong with the MiniBrute provided you like the sound of its filter.

I started with the DSI Mopho, then acquired a MiniBrute, Mother-32 and now Eurorack. I would say Eurorack is ideal if you want unlimited expansion and modulation possibilities. If you are looking for subtractive synthesis, a self contained synth is more cost effective. You can easily spend a couple of thousand in Eurorack without even getting to the basics (oscillator, filter, VCA, EG).

Looking forward to seeing your journey unfold! Enjoy the ride!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Blott » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:44 am

Dave Smith Rev2 has to be worth a look too and also the new Korg Prologue.
The 16 voice models are probably beyond your budget, but the 8 voice versions should come in at around the same price as a Moog Sub 37.
The Rev2 can sound huge.
Put it in stack mode with two mono programs made up of 4 voices each and detune.
Set one layer to low note priority and set the other layer to high note priority and voila - you have yourself a paraphonic beast! :)
Blott
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/blottuk
http://blottuk.bandcamp.com