You are here

Modular synthesizer - which one?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Modular synthesizer - which one?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:22 pm

Pashmina wrote:Plus, if you REALLY want to maximise your bang-for-buck, buy Doepfer and buy USED. There is always LOADS of used Doepfer stuff about, either on ebay or at analog haven in the states.

I've found Doepfer modules hard to come by seccondhand recently, and they usually go for quite high prices, when you can get them. I'm trying to put together a Doepfer system right now, and I need a few more modules, I've been looking for ages without any success. Analaog Haven have hardly anything on there site right now. I'll pay up 50% of the new cost of a module, anything above that and I'm not really interested. Ebay can sometime be fruitful, but things seem to be very quiet at the moment, for the "bread-and-butter" modules.

Tony.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pashmina » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:24 pm

It comes and goes I suppose, I looked on ebay last night and there were 5 Doepfer modules up, as well as a few format-compatible ones that I didn't like the look of too much TBH.

As well as Doepfer, I see used Plan B modules on AH's site from time to time, these are directly compatible with Doepfer's frames and power supply busses.

Typically when ordering from the states you are going to get hit with import duty, VAT, and the clearance fee. the clearance fee is an annoying little bit of extortion, as is the fact that you get charged vat and duty of the shipping charges. Generally speaking, on small orders, the clearance fee has been the biggest hit in my experience. Once in a while you'll "get away with it" w/r/t the 2 IR duties, but not often since 9/11.
Pashmina
Poster

"We hate all those who diss them, but shot all those who like them"

Postby Spiked Lunch » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:59 pm

Cheers for everyone's input, I've been thinking very hard and I've decided that I'm going to go with the dotcom system 22. I'm off on 2wks holiday this weekend so I'll put my order in when I get back :bouncy:
Spiked Lunch
Regular

Previous