You are here

New Sequential Synth Coming

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: New Sequential Synth Coming

Postby Dave B » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:27 am

If anyone hasn't read the review in this month's SOS, then there's even more exciting news :

Prophet XL !!!

There's some tweaks to the voice architecture which seem cool but the big news is a 76note weighted keyboard.

I'm lost .... my last shreds of dignity and reserve have just vanished and I am the screaming baby rolling around on the floor, kicking and beating my fists whils crying "But I WANT ONE!!!".

I wish that was just a metaphor as well... (sighs).

Still, it'll be a few months before it gets shipped so I have time to start saving up / deciding which kidney is spare.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:44 am

Dave B wrote:Still, it'll be a few months before it gets shipped so I have time to start saving up / deciding which kidney is spare.

You've still got some kidneys?!
I thought they all went a looong time ago... :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:52 pm

He didn't say they were his kidneys...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:23 pm

blinddrew wrote:He didn't say they were his kidneys...

You know Dave too well! Max helps him dispose of the bodies. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:18 am

Ah, so that's why Max has a bad back...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Gordon's in-depth Prophet XL review was indeed a fascinating read, but it reinforced my opinion that buying a Prophet 12 was still definitely the correct decision for me a few years ago, as well as saving me a considerable amount of money.

The P12 still seems to be the DSI keyboard for the out and out sound designer 8-)

EDIT: Even DSI/Sequential seem to think so ;)

https://yo41t1y5gos9jw8f3lptw0xo-wpengi ... rt-4.6.pdf

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:24 pm

I tend to agree, Martin. I did take a chance to fool around with the Prophet X at Synthfest, and I loved the sound of the oscillators and filter... but I really couldn't get excited about the samples. No matter how good they are (I love 8Dio's other library material), it felt like I'd simply MIDI-ed up a pretty average ROM-pler to play along.

I feel that the sample playback feature doesn't need to be there. I know others will disagree, and that's fine, but the only thing that the Prophet X has done for me is make me wonder about buying an earlier model without the faff of samples...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:38 am

My heart .. she is broken ... :(

They've now announced the XL officially and it is as I feared based on some Sequential Forum posts : it's a semi-weighted keyboard. The worst of both worlds.

I think I'm going to cry..

I might try dropping Sequential a note and moot the idea of an official upgrade to weighted - the Kurzweils all scan the keybed to determine which one is installed and I've worked out that you could slip a weighted model keybed into a semi as they should both be known profiles. If Sequential could include the capability of having something like a TP40 then we could get it upgraded after.

So close ... and yet so far ...
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:55 am

Dave B wrote:They've now announced the XL officially and it is as I feared based on some Sequential Forum posts : it's a semi-weighted keyboard.
One man's poison... ;)

I wish I wanted the X more than I do - this would have been good news for me, as long as the 'semi-weighted' equates to 'very light' a la JP-80.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Elf, semi-weighted in this case is like PC3K7 or the old K2600. Not synth style. I'm guessing it won't float your boat ..

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Dave B wrote:Elf, semi-weighted in this case is like PC3K7 or the old K2600. Not synth style. I'm guessing it won't float your boat.
You may be right, but Roland's JP-80 is quoted as being 'semi-weighted', but is as light, if not lighter than some of my synth/organ keyboards - so I live in hope!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:46 pm

The Elf wrote:I tend to agree, Martin. I did take a chance to fool around with the Prophet X at Synthfest, and I loved the sound of the oscillators and filter... but I really couldn't get excited about the samples. No matter how good they are (I love 8Dio's other library material), it felt like I'd simply MIDI-ed up a pretty average ROM-pler to play along.

I feel that the sample playback feature doesn't need to be there. I know others will disagree, and that's fine, but the only thing that the Prophet X has done for me is make me wonder about buying an earlier model without the faff of samples...

Exactly my conclusions - in his review Gordon managed to turn around his negative opinion once he stopped examining the sample sets in isolation, and instead focused on the synth/sample contributions in combination, but as you say, this could indeed still be considered as MIDI-ing up a ROMpler to play along.

I'm really interested to see just how many Prophet X's sell, as they are FAR more expensive than any of the other DSI synths.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:01 pm

The Elf wrote:You may be right, but Roland's JP-80 is quoted as being 'semi-weighted', but is as light, if not lighter than some of my synth/organ keyboards - so I live in hope!

Well, there's never been a standard (alas) for keyboard mechanisms. "Synth-action" goes from cheap plasticy nastiness* through to the DX7II-style chunky, fast but classy actions, "Semi-weighted" seems to go anywhere from the middle of "Synth-action" all the way up to nearly a piano action, and piano-action keyboards can go anywhere from "Semi-weighted" up to "Give your fingers three years of resistance training before you can expect to play a tune"...

*Speaking of cheap plasticy nastiness - of the kind of "Commodore 6 add-on musical keyboard sold in Boots" variety - I played an original Fairlight CMI keyboard a while back, and was shocked at just how dreadful it was, for such a "rolls royce" (of the time) expensive instrument. I mean, really, *really* cheap feeling... :shock: :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Horse mk2 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Apparently it is a Fatar TP8 Keybed, which I've seen described as piano action (including by a dsi bod on their forum), although the spec on the website says semi-weighted. Not that I'm in the market either way unfortunately...
Horse mk2
Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:47 pm

When I was young I turned a synth-action keyboard into a semi-weighted, in a rather DIY fashion - I blutacked a bunch of weights (coins iirc) the the underside of the keys! :headbang:

Needless to say, it wasn't a permanent solution... :tongue:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
The Elf wrote:I tend to agree, Martin. I did take a chance to fool around with the Prophet X at Synthfest, and I loved the sound of the oscillators and filter... but I really couldn't get excited about the samples. No matter how good they are (I love 8Dio's other library material), it felt like I'd simply MIDI-ed up a pretty average ROM-pler to play along.

Exactly my conclusions - in his review Gordon managed to turn around his negative opinion once he stopped examining the sample sets in isolation, and instead focused on the synth/sample contributions in combination, but as you say, this could indeed still be considered as MIDI-ing up a ROMpler to play along.

I'm really interested to see just how many Prophet X's sell, as they are FAR more expensive than any of the other DSI synths.

Martin

I love DSI/Sequential, but I too was left a bit ... 'meh' about the Prophet X. It seems an odd addition to the family to me, but maybe they decided that given the current resurgence of analogue gear they had something slightly different to offer - and they may well be right but I could drum up no desire to buy one myself.

Handsome-looking things though!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
The  man cave and some resulting works.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:13 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I love DSI/Sequential, but I too was left a bit ... 'meh' about the Prophet X...
Handsome-looking things though!

In the case of the Prophet XL, I suspect that's largely because of its 76-note semi-weighted keyboard, and not the inclusion of the sample library ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous