You are here

Need a Roland Fantom X USB Driver

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Need a Roland Fantom X USB Driver

Postby Bobcat22 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:33 am

I have visited the Roland site and found the drivers for the Fantom X however they are for the Win2000 and Win98. I downloaded Win2000 and it does not want to install. The Library Editor reports that the USB driver has not been installed. Is there anyone who can be of help?
Bobcat22
New here

Re: Need a Roland Fantom X USB Driver

Postby Bobcat22 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:31 am

I would like to add, I am using either Windows 7 or 10.
Bobcat22
New here

Postby The Elf » Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 am

You could try running the driver installer in compatibility mode. That's saved the day for me on a couple of occasions.

But going back that far with software is a bit optimistic and may begin to cause other problems. If your needs are simple, then using those good old MIDI ports may be a better option.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave B » Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 am

I sincerely wish you good luck in finding this. I tried finding up to date Mac drivers and it was a bust. Roland are fairly lousy at a) class compliance and b) updating drivers for 'legacy' instruments.

In the end, I set up a VM with an old version of macOS and ran the old drivers and software in that. lt was a bit tedious but it didn't cost any money - VirtualBox is free and that took care of the VM stuff and I just needed a copy of the OS. I was able to (rather tortuously iirc) get VirtualBox to pass on the usb connection eventually.

In the end, I ditched the Fantom. It's great if you want an all in one workstation, but the internal design is fairly restricted when it comes to talking to the outside world.

Edit: oh - and the other reason I gave up was that the editor software wasn't great either. It was a lot of effort to sort it out and I wasn't impressed when I did. It ended up being easier to do it on the synth.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Bobcat22 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi The Elf,

Thank you for your response. I will use the MIDI side of the X8 instead. I just recently purchased this, which is in mint condition for $900.00. I was motivated by a Youtube musician and feedback I got from a few others on reasons why on the X8 or G8.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou9QJUsZLC4 - totally recorded using the X8 with SRX cards.

bc
Bobcat22
New here

Postby Bobcat22 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank your for posting your experience. I am thinking that the Roland Fantom X or G series are the last of breed of self contained workstations. I got the X8 as it is in pristine condition, desirable weighted key action and the price was right - along with the research I did. The composer and YouTube publisher, Daniel Pierzecki along with his feedback on the X8 was the catalyst for acquiring this bit of music gear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdF333W0S7Y

Cheers,

bc
Bobcat22
New here

Postby Forum Admin » Thu May 17, 2018 5:24 pm

A=432Hz tuning... now there's a can of worms. The magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9...
http://www.michaelleehill.net/432-hz-unlocking-the-magnificence-of-the-3-6-and-9-the-key-to-the-universe/
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,119 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv