You are here

Effects for Nord Lead 2X

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Effects for Nord Lead 2X

Postby Guido3 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:26 pm

I have recently picked up a Nord Lead 2X to take out with me live. As it has no built-in effects, I would like to get something simple to give me Delay, Reverb and maybe Chorus. Would I be better off buying some guitar stomp boxes (Boss?) or getting a multi effect processor? Does anyone use anything that they can recommend.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Effects for Nord Lead 2X

Postby resistorman » Sat May 19, 2018 1:39 pm

I bought a Line 6 M5 for my synths because it’s stereo and syncs to midi. Also, relatively inexpensive. It sounds good, is well built, but only does one effect type at a time. The M9 does 3 at once and costs more than twice as much.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Guido3 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:05 pm

resistorman wrote:I bought a Line 6 M5 for my synths because it’s stereo and syncs to midi. Also, relatively inexpensive. It sounds good, is well built, but only does one effect type at a time. The M9 does 3 at once and costs more than twice as much.

That looks nearly perfect. Maybe this coupled with a separate reverb pedal would be just the job. Shame they don’t do a 2 effect version (M7) rather than M5 or M9.
Guido3
Regular

Postby Guido3 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:26 pm

TC Electronics do some nice ones. Stereo in and out which, with hindsight, is a must have.

Anyone use any?
Guido3
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat May 19, 2018 4:07 pm

That's a mono out instrument, IIRC? If so then a Digitech RP50/55 would be a good option for not much money. I have an old mono-out monosynth plugged into one for live use. It does a great job.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Guido3 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:04 pm

The Elf wrote:That's a mono out instrument, IIRC? If so then a Digitech RP50/55 would be a good option for not much money. I have an old mono-out monosynth plugged into one for live use. It does a great job.

Hi Elf, it has 4 separate mono outputs (one for each slot) but can be configured (as I have) for everything to go out of 2 outputs as a stereo pair.
Guido3
Regular

Postby BillB » Sun May 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Zoom MS70 CDR pedal, stereo in-out, focussed on Chorus Delay Reverb , as the name suggests.

Otherwise a TC Electronics M300 or M350 (second-hand only, I think) would make a nice knobby Rack unit. Like Elf suggested, a lot of guitar multi-fx work great with synths, provided you are happy with a mono input. The Boss ME-50 is another knob-laden goodie.

Perhaps you need resolve a few points:
- stereo or mono input - which really means, do you want stereo placement and panning on the synth to be part of the total sound, and will the final sound be heard in stereo? Otherwise mono in to the FX unit would be fine.
- would you want clock sync (eg echo rate) over MIDI with the Nord’s appegiator etc?
- would you want to set up FX programs to go with specific Nord sounds, and would these be selected by MIDI program change from the Nord, or by manual selection? Some FX units are great in themselves (eg Alesis Microverb 4) but limited in that you can only save an edit to the same numbered patch as you started editing - so an edit of Preset 40 can only be saved to User patch 40. Quite limiting if you want to create set list of sound combinations.

The cheaper (S/H) Lexicons fare better in this respect - MPX100, 500 etc.

So many cost-effective choices in the S/H market, but you need to tie down precisely what you want it to do. Have fun :headbang:
BillB
Regular

Postby Guido3 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:05 am

BillB,

You make some great points. Ideally I’d like stereo in/out but when playing live it really doesn’t matter that much. As regards programmability, I hadn’t really given it much thought. Having syncable MIDI would be lovely as would having presets

Ultimately, I just want to be able to click a pedal and get a wash of reverb, delay and chorus (3 separate pedals). I think the pedal route would seem the best for me. The TC Electronic pedals seem a perfect fit as they are stereo.
Guido3
Regular

Postby resistorman » Wed May 23, 2018 4:10 am

Guido3 wrote:
resistorman wrote:I bought a Line 6 M5 for my synths because it’s stereo and syncs to midi. Also, relatively inexpensive. It sounds good, is well built, but only does one effect type at a time. The M9 does 3 at once and costs more than twice as much.

That looks nearly perfect. Maybe this coupled with a separate reverb pedal would be just the job. Shame they don’t do a 2 effect version (M7) rather than M5 or M9.

If you want multiple effects, I’d go with one pedal... it may be old school of me, but I don’t like multiple ad/ da conversions.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby The Elf » Wed May 23, 2018 12:37 pm

TBH I've just started using a Line 6 Helix for my live keyboard FX. Overkill of the highest order (I use it for studio duties too, so it performs a lot of other jobs), but it makes life so much easier. I'd recommend it without hesitation, but only if you can put it to use beyond a simple two-in/two-out stomp box - otherwise it's a hefty outlay.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BillB » Wed May 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Which is why a Zoom MS70 CDR, or a S/H: Boss ME50, Digitech RP###, or maybe a Korg AX ####, would all do a great job, for well under £100. Depends how much you want to invest...
BillB
Regular

Postby SecretSam » Thu May 24, 2018 6:54 pm

+1 for the low-end Lexicons.

The foot pedal is only on/off or tap tempo, but the old Lexicon MPX 500 (or 550) sounds great and costs very little secondhand. It can be put at fiddling height, which pedals can't.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.