You are here

Advice sought. Does anyone here program their own sounds?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Advice sought. Does anyone here program their own sounds?

Postby Stickman0_3 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:10 pm

I ask because I've programmed quite a few synths with, what I think, are good alternative sounds -

1.Yamaha AN1x
2.Kawai K5000s
3.Yamaha CS6x
4.Roland JP8080
5.Yamaha TX802
6.Casio CZ1
7.Roland SH32
8.Sequential Prophet VS
9.Yamaha SY35

I may be looking to sell these sounds. Maybe a few to start with, just to test the water.

What I'd like to know is should I program performance data, ie - filter control via the modulation wheel, or should I leave out performance data so that the potential buyer can make up their own mind?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Re: Advice sought. Does anyone here program their own sounds?

Postby desmond » Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Yes. As far as I'm concerned, quality patches should always, over and above their core sound parameters:

a) be volume balanced appropriately

b) have performance controls mapped to do something musical - so, have the mod wheel set to do something meaningful, have velocity set to do something meaningful, have aftertouch set to do something meaningful, and if the synth has additional performance controls, they should do something meaningful too.

c) have attention put to other areas, like key scaling, to make sure sounds remain useful and musical across a range of notes

d) be named and tagged appropriately

e) other things, depending on the synth (too big a topic to go into here, synth dependent)

If I buy a soundset, and reach for the mod wheel, or hit a key harder, and find the lazy sods couldn't be bothered to assign something useful, I assume those soundset vendors are not matching the quality I expect from a commercial soundset and won't buy from them again.

Lots of people make sounds, but less people know how to tune them musically - probably because many of them are not so much musicians, but synth tinkerers/computer programmers.

* Note, yes, I've done commercial soundsets, and yes, I put that attention to detail into them.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun May 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi Stickman0_3!

I agree with everything that desmond mentions (and yes, like him I've created commercial sound libraries ;) )

Getting an excellent core sound is only the START of the design process, and velocity scaling, filter & various other expression adjustments over the full 88-keyboard range are vital to expand that core sound into a living, breathing and fully versatile patch.

That key scaling should also take care of any extreme sounds at the limits of that keyboard range - it's not OK to have a patch that sounds great over four octaves but then either blows your woofers at the bottom end, or screeches at the top end beyond its 'expected' usual range. Make sure you tame those extremes, as one bad experience with their ears/loudspeakers/headphones can make customers very wary in future.

Making small demos of your sounds will also help determine whether or not they have sufficient performance control allocations - if you find yourself craving the modwheel/pitchbend/ribbon/aftertouch to do something else, program it in.

Above all, don't ASSUME that because you originally designed a sound to work over four octaves, that someone else won't find it perfect when pushed to extremes of pitch, velocity (both forceful and gentle). In the past I've created presets for libraries that have their creators saying "Well I never realised my instrument could make sounds like that as well!". That to me was a great compliment, as it proved that I'd explored every avenue the instrument offered ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Getting an excellent core sound is only the START of the design process

Quoted for emphasis! :clap: :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 am

I'll take the Kawai 5000S off your hands dude.

I don't use any presets. I program my own even if they are simple sine based subs.
Zukan

Postby Stickman0_3 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm afraid the Kawai is not for sale. I may program some more sounds for it.
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby Zukan » Wed May 23, 2018 11:09 am

And I was just beginning to like you....
Zukan