You are here

Quietening mechanical sound of keyboard release

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Quietening mechanical sound of keyboard release

Postby mac.churchmouse » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:31 am

So, I was after a super cheap controller, perferrably with aftertouch, when for even less money I managed to pick up a Casio VZ1 to use instead. Sleek, elegant, and very well built, plus three controller wheels as well as the aftertouch - I'm very pleased. I'm even impressed by the sound of it - quite meaty and surprisingly warm; a bonus.
While the keys play reasonable well for a synth of its period, the keyboard 'clacks' noticeably on release. It appears to be the sound of the hook underneath the key striking its restraint bar on return to level. I can control it to a reasonable degree when playing slowly and softly, but when I let fly, it outdoes Fred Astaire in full tap dancing flight.

I'm wondering if anybody had any hints about what I might be able to use to dampen the sound.

I haven't opened the case yet to see the actual mechanism as I'd like to have all the stuff I need first. (There isn't room in a bedsit/studio to have a synth strewn in pieces about the place for days) I suspect some kind of thin rubber mebrane glued along the bar might do, but not sure exactly what to look for, how to afix it, etc. Clues would be gratefully received.
Nga mihi nui, Glenn
mac.churchmouse
Poster

Re: Quietening mechanical sound of keyboard release

Postby pilot-wave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 am

Since this is a relatively uncommon synth you're unlikely to get a reply to such a specific problem. I had a VZ1 some years ago and don't recall this happening.

Just in case this is a 'red herring' situation, have you checked to see if the tops of the keys are contacting the top panel overhang as this has happened to me with a new synth which left the factory with a slightly misaligned key bed.... it took a while before this dawned on me.
pilot-wave
Regular

Postby resistorman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Good tip by pilot-wave. Otherwise, felt seems to be the preferred material. Thin rubber would likely turn the clack into a thunk.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Acoustic pianos use felt for exactly this purpose (and many others).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mac.churchmouse » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:22 am

resistorman wrote:Good tip by pilot-wave. Otherwise, felt seems to be the preferred material. Thin rubber would likely turn the clack into a thunk.
Thanks folks - hadn't thought of those things. Felt might make the whole situation easier because I could simply slip a run of it across the back of the keys, tucked under the frame.
Glenn
mac.churchmouse
Poster

Postby mac.churchmouse » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:48 am

Success!
I opened the case - didn't even have to disturb the circuit boards - to discover that the strip of rubber that had once deadened the return had turned to black gloop of some kind. But it seems to have reinvented itself as glue for the thin strip of felt that I laid over it.
Result, very very much quieter, and therefore much less distracting, keyboard action.
Thanks for the advice - Felt is the Business! :clap:
Glenn
mac.churchmouse
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:33 pm

mac.churchmouse wrote:Success! Thanks for the advice - Felt is the Business! :clap:

Ha - it's not often you can say that Glenn, but in this instance it's perfectly true ;)

Hint - if you want your keyboard to look slick and modern, use black felt. If on the other hand you want to give it a classic 'grand piano' look, use red felt 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby mac.churchmouse » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hint - if you want your keyboard to look slick and modern, use black felt. If on the other hand you want to give it a classic 'grand piano' look, use red felt 8-)
Martin
I used beige Martin - but fortunately invisibly on the inside of the case. Far too embarassing otherwise :tongue:
mac.churchmouse
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:58 pm

mac.churchmouse wrote:I used beige Martin - but fortunately invisibly on the inside of the case. Far too embarassing otherwise :tongue:

But WE know now! :? :o

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:12 am

Pool table blue would be banging!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Saxum esse et non provolvere » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:58 am

ef37a wrote:Pool table blue would be banging!

Dave.

Surely “banging” is exactly what we’re trying to prevent ?
Saxum esse et non provolvere
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:06 pm

I believe this was the Smilie you were looking for :headbang:

(Aside: I think blue felt would be cracking as well ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker