You are here

Inaugural Liverpool Modular Meet

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Inaugural Liverpool Modular Meet

Postby MikeGorman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:08 pm

I’ve finally decided to poke a toe in the water and try and set up a Modular Meet in Liverpool.

I am now a member of a Maker Space called DoES Liverpool and they have kindly offered me use of their Event Room for such a Meet for free for this first event. This will also be a public event, with free access for anyone (The space has been deliberately set up with an eye to accessibility and inclusion, so wheelchair access is a given).

It is a relatively small space, good for 10-12 tables, so this trial is not planned to be a massive event, but we may squeeze in a few more people if there is a lot of interest. The Modular Meet also coincides with a Maker day at DoES Liverpool, so you can likely have a play with some of their facilities on the day if you are interested. This is also the reason for the short notice, as I only got permission last Friday.

I plan to bring a few of my toys along on the day, so there will definitely be some synths to play with if you just want to come visit for the day. You are also more than welcome to bring some of your own gear along, just reply to this thread and I’ll reserve a space for you.

Some toys that I plan to bring along:

Deckards Dream (CS-80 clone)
TTSH (Arp 2600 Clone)
Jasper (EDP Wasp clone)
Yamaha DX5, with possibly a TX816/QX1/CX5 setup
Roland D50
5U modular system
Elektor Format modular system.

In the space, there is a small PA, but I would prefer people to bring headphones if possible, so that it doesn’t get too noisy. I have a couple of headphone amps that will be available on the day as well.

Once I see what the level of interest is, I will provide more details, like parking, access times and opening times, etc.

Last, but no means least, if this event works out, there is a possibility of this being a semi monthly event, say 6 or 7 times a year even. There is also the possibility of a combined Modular Meet / Synth DIY event, though that would have to be paid for methinks. But let’s see how warm the water is first before diving into that pool yet.

Regards

Mike
MikeGorman
Poster
Looking forward to SynthFest 2018

Re: Inaugural Liverpool Modular Meet

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Sounds interesting Mike, good luck with the event.
:thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby fatbenelton » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Looks interesting - might be worth mentioning the date is Sat 14th July (from DoES website)
fatbenelton
Regular

Jonny

Postby MikeGorman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Oops, that was quite a big omission, thanks for catching that.

All the best

Mike
MikeGorman
Poster

Postby fatbenelton » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:46 am

How did it go?

I couldn't make this one but would be happy to support a future event...could bring along a Model D, JP4 and 800DV amongst other things.
fatbenelton
Regular

Jonny

Postby MikeGorman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:14 am

Not what you would call a massive success, with only 7 people turning up on the day.

But it was really nice to be able to have a load of my synths out to play with, so I think I will try again, probably in a couple of months to give folks a little more notice.

I will post new dates in here once I have confirmed them with the DoES folks.

Regards

Mike
MikeGorman
Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:23 am

I think you're being hard on yourself Mike - if nobody had shown up, then it might be a failure, but 7 is a good start. And the hardest part of anything like this is organising the first one. Be proud of yourself! Tiny acorns, etc

:)

One suggestion that I have (possibly egg-sucking here but) is to check the other meets' dates and try and find a date that means that you are in a clear run with not much else on. There are a few manufacturers that pop along to meets to show off their wares, so if you can get a good date (it sounds like you've already got a good location), then you can make it a little more of an event.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby fatbenelton » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:55 am

Yes - don’t be so hard on yourself. Gotta start somewhere and you’ve started something that could well grow.
fatbenelton
Regular

Jonny

Postby MikeGorman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks for all of the supportive comments.

I am going to try again - this time on the 8th September. A little bit more notice but could have been more if I had got my backside in gear and commented earlier. :)

From conversations I have had with the Does Liverpool folks, this could become a regular meet, approx every 2 months (where it doesn't clash with other meets).

I also had a nice conversation with Rob Hordijk at the Leeds Modular Meet last weekend, about using his Benjolin project for a possible DIY build activity at a future event (it is a Maker Space after all).

Apart from this, need to get back building synths to start getting ready for Synthfest.

Hope to see some of you at one of these Meets

All the best

Mike
MikeGorman
Poster

Postby MonolithTom » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Mike,

I used to attend DoES when it was in Gostins Arcade but am yet to get to the new centre.
I learnt about this meet from Adrian last week but unfortunately I'm at a wedding on the 8th and so can't make it. Gutted!

Adrian has mentioned your name before so it would be nice to meet. I'm fairly new to the modular world but have been doing some surface mount work of late with the GMSN modules amongst others.

I'm not sure if it's possible to direct message here but might there be an email address I could drop you a line on? It would be great to meet and thank you for your efforts with this. I would be delighted to attend any subsequent sessions.

Tom.
MonolithTom

Postby zenguitar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums Tom.

Once you have made 3 posts you will be able to send a PM here. We are sorry about that restriction but we had a spate of spammers contacting members by PM.

When you view a post there is an info section at the bottom which includes the member's name, their signature if they have one and other details. If they have authorised the forum to allow other member's to send them emails you will also see an envelope symbol. To send an email to them through the forum just click on the envelope.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby MikeGorman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi Tom,

You will likely find me at most Maker nights at DoES Liverpool, which is every Thursday night. Last week for example I had a ROLI Rise and a Mutable Instruments Shruthi set up for a couple of people to play with (who had asked about them on the previous weeks Maker night).

I’m sure we will catch up at some time though.

All the best

Mike
MikeGorman
Poster

Postby MonolithTom » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:04 am

Thanks Andy, totally understandable :)

Hi Mike,

That's good to know thank you. I live in Widnes now so would travel in to town of an evening for the night if I knew you'd be there. Are you likely to be there next Thursday or the following one at all?

So good to see you setting up the Liverpool Modular Meet and I'm eagerly awaiting the dates for the next ones!
MonolithTom

Postby MikeGorman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am

I’m planning to be there this Thursday, but I am in Manchester Thursday afternoon, so this will depend on the traffic. I definitely plan to be there the following Thursday baring unforeseen issues.

Regards

Mike
MikeGorman
Poster

Postby MonolithTom » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Great, well hope to see you at one of them imminently Mike. All the best for now.
MonolithTom