You are here

Calling any Patch Base experts -- question about modifying a TX7 library

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Calling any Patch Base experts -- question about modifying a TX7 library

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:54 pm

This may be an absolutely dumb question, but ...

SETUP. I have umpteen libraries for my TX7 as sysex patches. I usually use Sysex Librarian and a Mio to get the libraries loaded into the TX7. No problem there, it works a treat.

PROBLEM. What I would like to do is get patches from several libraries loaded into a single "uber library" for live work. As the TX7 can hold 32 presets, it's got more than enough for a single live show.

HYPOTHESIS. Using Sysex Librarian and Patch Base, would it be possible to load a library to the TX7, then use Patch Base to cherry pick the patch or two that I want, save them to my iPad, and then re load them to the TX7 in the order of my choosing, thereby creating my own custom library?

Thanks in advance!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Re: Calling any Patch Base experts -- question about modifying a TX7 library

Postby BillB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi Ben

Not sure how well Patchbase would work as a librarian, in terms of organising a new sysex bank of patches. Don’t think being a librarian is it’s main thing, more of an editor with patch storage, which is a little different.

Anyway, an alternative suggestion would be for you to look at DEXED, free VST DX7 emulator / Editor / librarian. I haven’t used it myself yet, but this looks like an option for creating your Uber library. Instructions on combining patches into new sysex banks here:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3#p7074253

Alternatively, I have MidiQuest which has a librarian for DX/TX amongst many others. If you wanted to send me source banks and a list of which patches you want where, I could send you back your desired bank. Obviously that’s not a really ‘sustainable’ option - you will be wanting a solution you can control and repeat yourself. But the offer is there, if it helps.

I do have an interest as I have just discovered, and been very impressed by, KQ Dixie, a DX7 emulator on the iPad (£4!). Sounds fabulous - or rather, 6-op FM sounds fabulous - but it is, again, currently a poor option for organising patches. Great for auditioning them, but tortuous if you want to create your own banks.

I’ll be interested to hear what you think.
BillB
Regular

Postby BillB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:44 pm

It appears you can also drag and drop in DEXED:

https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/#cartridge-manager

I checked patch storage in Patchbase. Folders can be made, but all patches are stored in alphabetical order, and I can’t see any way to dump (or save to .SYX) an entire bank, just single sounds. So no obvious way to use it to organise new banks on its own.
BillB
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:00 pm

Thanks, Bill!

I actually use Dexed to preview banks before I export to the TX7. This is good news, I will give it a shot and report back!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:36 pm

It’s taken several weeks but I am working on my next live piece/album pre production and finally had a chance to try using Dexed as a library editor.

Bad news is that there is Zero documentation out there for Dexed. Good news is that with a little poking around, Dexed is intuitive enough to suss out what to do.

How I was able to make a custom library:
1 Open Dexed and go to the Cartridge page
2 Open a Library
3 Select other Libraries and patches on the top half to preview a patch
4 Drag the patches you want to use down into your current Library
5 Save the new altered Library with a different name

In the Minus column, one thing to bear in mind is that if you drag a patch from one location to another within a Library, it copies that patch. So taking notes as you go is necessary if you want your patches in a specific order later because you will most likely need to re drag a couple of them down from the preview above when you have all of your patches selected.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Thanks for that info Ben - without a manual, notes like these may be invaluable to someone else later on :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:23 pm

Yes, I figured that this can help someone down the line!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby BillB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi Ben

Have you checked out the Bank editor function in the latest version (3) of Patchbase? I think this would do what you are looking for. The TX7 editor now includes a bank editor.

https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base-ma ... ting-banks
BillB
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 pm

BillB wrote:Hi Ben

Have you checked out the Bank editor function in the latest version (3) of Patchbase? I think this would do what you are looking for. The TX7 editor now includes a bank editor.

https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base-ma ... ting-banks
Awesome, thanks!!
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Just had a play with Patch Base with my MOPHO editor. I didn’t know they did an update, so thanks for that BillB!

I really like the new look!
Ben Asaro
Regular