You are here

KARP Odyssey FSQ - review in Aug issue

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

KARP Odyssey FSQ - review in Aug issue

Postby bouvetoya » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Excellent review of the Odyssey FSQ from Gordon Reid this month; I got mine on the release date and agree it was like buying my first synth all over again, I felt the white mk1 version was the only way to go and have not been disappointed, as for the SQ1 it's still in its box and will probably stay there. If I do sequence with it I'll use my MAQ.

My only gripe was about the keybed which feels slightly cheap compared to my Voyager, but maybe the original Odyssey was no better.

Anyone else using one or any views vs the original?
bouvetoya

Re: KARP Odyssey FSQ - review in Aug issue

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:04 pm

Yes great review. The Odyssey was the first real synth I rented when I was young. Loved it. Trying not to go play it or possibly buy it!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:55 pm

I'm really pleased to see Korg launch the FS.

I called in a few favours to grab myself an Odyssey FS as soon as they hit Europe. I always wanted an Odyssey since I attended one of the touring launch shows for the late black/orange Odyssey/Omni, but it was way out of my league, financially. These days I had pretty much given up hope of owning one, TBH.

When Korg's miniaturised version came along I had a quick play with it and loved the sound, but I was not prepared to put up with the mini-keys. I also had a strong feeling that a full-sized version must surely be around the corner. Korg made me wait, but boy am I glad I did!

My choice was the V3 black/orange livery - I think it looks stunning.

The only significant disappointment (other than the external PSU, which you can always take as read fom me - replacing the PSU is high on my future mod list...) I had was that modulation doesn't function over MIDI. That killed off using the MIDI and USB ports for me instantly, so I've hooked my Oddy up to a Kenton box - problem solved. I'm not a fan of the duophony either, so I patch mine to avoid it.

I've had mine alongside a real white-face and black/orange and it seemed very close. If anything the raw oscillators on the white-face had a slightly different character, but the filter types were perfect to my ears. I love the 12dB filter.

I've fallen in love with the Odyssey in a way that I always felt I might, but wasn't prepared to risk until I could could possess one of my own! It gladdens me to see Korg make it available to more players.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Adam Inglis » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:23 am

The Elf wrote:IThe only significant disappointment ... I had was that modulation doesn't function over MIDI..
I take it that is because of the purely analogue nature of the control pathways?

You weren't tempted by the module, Elf?
They have managed to give the module midi control over pitchbend I see.
Adam Inglis
Regular
Adam Inglis 
http://www.adambaby.com
Semi-Automatic
Funboys

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 am

Adam Inglis wrote:You weren't tempted by the module, Elf?
I was, but it's very small, and I prefer a self-contained instrument.

Adam Inglis wrote:They have managed to give the module midi control over pitchbend I see.
Pitchbend over MIDI works on the FS keyboard instrument too - but not modulation.

Adam Inglis wrote:I take it that is because of the purely analogue nature of the control pathways?
I think it's just about adherence to the original design. I'm sure it could be done, but it would require a bit of re-design.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:47 pm

The Elf wrote:
Adam Inglis wrote:You weren't tempted by the module, Elf?
I was, but it's very small, and I prefer a self-contained instrument.

I've got a Korg white-face module here lined up against an original mk3 (in for a fix) and the old chunk is definitely a step bigger, but I'm not sure it makes much difference to the control surface usability. Korg's sliders are 40mm, ARP's are 45mm. Korg's sliders are a mm or two closer to each other, but it's not much of a deal overall for me. It does make for a much more compact unit on the whole, and I think having all 3 filters is great. Not keen on those pitch pads, mind...

I guess we use our gear differently, as I prefer the new module to the vintage keyboard. I understand your gripe about the PSU, but having seen inside a 40-yr old bit of kit and worried about its safety, I'll take the new one any day!

The weird half-mini keys on the smaller keyboard version are awkward though. I can understand why someone would get the full size over that.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:58 pm

I can certainly see a module in my future, but I don't see myself parting with my 'real' Odyssey! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:01 pm

I wonder if many players actually care, but the fact that the Mk.3 doesn’t have the infamous sticking-out keys would be a deal-breaker for me, if I found orange ‘my’ colour

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
baward
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 am

The exposed keys were quite a subject of discussion at the launch event that I attended. I do know that it was considered to be a crazy decision by the majority of players even way back then. Since then I've seen many Mk3s with the jagged tooth look.

I'm glad that Korg didn't copy this feature of the original design!

The PPMs were pretty reviled too. I recall thinking 'maybe I'd get used to them', but now having the real thing (well, re-issue) here I can see that I won't - they are horrible things. The re-issue takes far too much pressure to make them work - the original was better in this respect.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:01 pm

I suppose with PPC, Arp was trying to get away from the traditional wheel or ribbon. Quite why I'm not sure!

The 1977 demo record:
https://youtu.be/mT4uo0IfPnw
baward
Regular

Postby Stephen Bennett » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 am

I have an original MK II with PPC. I like the pressure pads. They take some practice to hit the right note when bending but they are incredibly expressive.

Stephen
Stephen Bennett
Regular
New: Tim Bowness album 'Lost in the Ghost Light'. Feat: Colin Edwin, Bruce Soord, Hux Nettermalm, Kit Watkins,  and the legendary Ian Anderson.

Postby Stephen Bennett » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am

baward wrote:
The 1977 demo record:
https://youtu.be/mT4uo0IfPnw

I have an ARP Omni one somewhere!

Stephen
Stephen Bennett
Regular
New: Tim Bowness album 'Lost in the Ghost Light'. Feat: Colin Edwin, Bruce Soord, Hux Nettermalm, Kit Watkins,  and the legendary Ian Anderson.

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:37 am

Stephen Bennett wrote:I have an ARP Omni one somewhere!
:geek: :o :shock:

Another synth I've long admired, but never owned!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:11 am

The Elf wrote:

Lost its appeal for me when Mr McCartney used it on that global worldwide smash Christmas tune...
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,310 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby baward » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:42 am

The Axxe one is quite cute. With only space for one pad, maybe you had to shake the whole synth bodily to get vibrato :)
baward
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:35 am

Forum Admin wrote:
The Elf wrote:

Lost its appeal for me when Mr McCartney used it on that global worldwide smash Christmas tune...
:lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster