You are here

Please help me set up my MIDI!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Please help me set up my MIDI!

Postby BSMo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi. I have an mpc1000 and two external synths. One is a synth with a keyboard that I want to use as the controller, the other is just a module with no keyboard. I also have an external clock going into the mpc. What I want to achieve is to be able to sequence both synths on seperate tracks in the mpc, and also play both synths (seperately) with the keyboard - to both audition sounds and to record sequences.

So i’ve plugged everything in as follows:

Clock -> mpc MIDI in 1.
Keyboard MIDI out -> mpc MIDI in 2.

Mpc MIDI out A -> keyboard MIDI in
Mpc MIDI out B -> module MIDI in

I have the keyboard set to midi channel 1, and the module set to midi channel 2 (in their own internal settings). And I have the soft thru set to omni A-B in the
mpc.

I was expecting to be able make one track with MIDI 1A on and have it be the keyboard synth and another track with MIDI 1B on and it be the module.

However, it hasn’t quite worked out this way. What is actually happening is that the keyboard synth is playing in every channel in the mpc (1-16A and 1-16B), and the module isn’t sounding at all. Now, if I change the module to MIDI channel 1, it plays on every channel, along with the keyboard synth.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Disclaimer - I only have a remedial understanding of all this MIDI stuff so I beg patience from you! Also I must note that I have read through the related section in the manual but it’s not very clear to me on how to set this all up. I’m running the latest free JJOS in the mpc, if that has any bearing.

Many thanks!
BSMo
New here

Re: Please help me set up my MIDI!

Postby BillB » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi, I don’t know the MPC and you haven’t said what your keyboard is, but one thing you should look for (in the keyboard manual) is the “local off” setting, which disconnects the synth’s keyboard from its internal sound processor. That way you effectively get a stand-alone midi keyboard (out to the MPC) and the built in synth behaves like a module, reacting only to external midi (from the MPC).

That may not be the complete answer, but it is a good start to putting the keyboard in the right mode for your intended use.

I’m sure others will be along with MPC wisdom.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BSMo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Bill, thanks for your response. I have just done this as per your advice, but now the keyboard isn’t triggering anything (including the synth’s internal sound). The keyboard is an alpha juno 1.
BSMo
New here

Postby BSMo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:52 pm

I have also now turned on MIDI Omni in the keyboard, which receives all messages regardless of the midi channel setting, and now the keyboard is playing its own sounds, but not sounds from the module, at all.

EDIT: I have discovered the reason for this: I had accidentally set the mpc to receive on channel 2.

So as it stands currently i have everything connected as per my original post, but now both synths set to midi channel one, with the keyboard’s midi set to local control off and midi omni on. And i’m back to the keyboard triggering both synths simultaneously on every channel (1-16 A & B) in the mpc.

Changing the keyboard to midi channel 2 (keeping the module on channel 1) stops it from playing the sound of the module while its own sound still plays.

In order to change the module’s midi channel I have to remove the back of it and toggle dip switches, so i’m reluctant to do this again just now as I fully expect that all that will do is just stop the module from sounding at all, like what was happing in the first place.
BSMo
New here

Postby BillB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 am

Hi, I have just looked at the MPC1000 manual. P46-47 look very useful, you should read them all if you haven’t done so yet.

Bottom of P46 talks about Soft Thru settings. Looks like you probably need “as track”:

The MPC1000 refers to the MIDI channel setting of the sequence's track. The channel information of the incoming MIDI signal will be replaced with the MIDI channel set in the track.

Maybe it is currently in one of the Omni modes on the following page?
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am

Hi BSMo, just for my interest and to give a more complete picture, what are you using as an audio interface?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby BSMo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:45 am

@Bill - thanks for that, i’ll give that a try. I’m at my day job at the moment so I won’t be able to at the moment. I have it set on ‘omni AB’ at the moment, although to be honest without really understanding what that meant - I was just going off a YouTube video describing how to use an mpc as the centre of a midi set up!

@Dave - I don’t use an interface at the moment after a big computer crash recently I have decided to try not using a computer at all for a while. So at the moment I have everything plugged into a mixer and out to a 2 track recording device. The reason i’m using an external clock is because I have another synth and drum machine with their own built in sequencers that I like to use which use the old din sync format, and the clock converts midi sync to din sync.

Everything was working well, but this new module that I have just added to my set up (which is a dreadbox NYX) has caused the complication!
BSMo
New here

Postby BillB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am

BSMo - Youtube is a great learning resource, but it can't completely replace RTFM ;)
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Just thought - don't forget to set the track MIDI channels to suit the synths' MIDI channels.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BSMo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi Bill, apologies for the late reply - it was one of those weekends, you know the kind, where the week doesn’t actually end, and I didn’t get a chance to get into my studio. However I am here now and I have tried the settings you suggested and... BINGO! Everything is now working as it should be. Thank you so much! I’ve really learned something invaluable here. I’m so very grateful. Three cheers for BillB, what a guy!!
BSMo
New here

Postby BillB » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:43 pm

BSMo that's great news :thumbup:

This forum is one of the most helpful places on the web, thanks largely to the guiding attitude of SOS staff and the Mods. I have learned a lot from the good people here, so it's nice to be able to pass on a little when you are able.
BillB
Frequent Poster