You are here

Warning: possible idiot question follows...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Warning: possible idiot question follows...

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:00 pm

So, opened a new project in reaper this arvo, added a new track with a virtual instrument and selected Xpand!2. Set my incoming midi channels to all, along with my map set to source.
Selected some taiko drums, pounded drumkit.
Nothing.
Hmmm. Tried some other instruments in case the kit was sending to a different octave.
Still nothing.
Loaded a different instrument. Progress! Noise.
Tried other instruments. Also noise.
Back to Xpand!2. Nothing.
The channel meter is showing a midi note and everything else seems to be reading it ok but this.
Any suggestions?

P.S. have tried to log it on the AIR site but can't get past the sign-up screen.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Warning: possible idiot question follows...

Postby desmond » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Xpand is multitimbral - what is your MIDI keyboard/controller transmit channel?

(Hint: Try "1" - or at least the channel number displayed above "MIDI" on the part you selected the patch on...)

If it's a drum kit, it might be transmitting on MIDI channel 10 - Xpand only listens on channels 1-4 for each of the four parts....

(Non-multitimbral plugins often don't care about the incoming MIDI channel, and play regardless, which is why you get noise from the other ones. Multitimbral plugins however do care about incoming MIDI channel to identify which parts to play...)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Re: Warning: possible idiot question follows...

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Thank you for the gazillionth time. I'd tried mapping channel 10 on the input to channel 1 on the instrument channel but it wasn't (and still isn't) giving me anything).
However if I set up a separate track to record the midi input from the drums and then send that to a channel with Xpand! on (doing the necessary channel swap there) it works.
I'm sure there is a simpler way of doing things but it is now working.
Thanks again. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...