You are here

How important is multitimbrality?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

How important is multitimbrality?

Postby mitya33 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi all

I'm new to this game and currently trying to choose between the Korg Kronos and Nord Stage 3.

One thing I've read is that the Stage had two-part multitimbrality. Now, I've looked up a definition of this but I'm still not sure what the implications are. Can anyone tell a total noob, in layman's terms, what these would be?

Thanks!
mitya33
Poster

Re: How important is multitimbrality?

Postby desmond » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:06 pm

Multitimbral synths can play more than one sound simultaneously.

Take an early, monotimbral synth, like the DX7 - this has 16 notes of polyphony, but can only play one *sound* at a time. Fine for playing an electric piano part on it's own, but you couldn't sequence a song with a bass sound, a string sound and a piano sound all at the same time - you'd have to record the different sounds to tape/disk one at a time.

Workstation synths are all multtimbral, because you need to make a song with different sounds playing at the same time. You can also layer different sounds together, so you could layer a piano + string sound, for example.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby awjoe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 am

So if you were busking with a multitimbral synth, you could play against a programmed percussion part and a string part?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"Against stupidity we are defenseless."  - ascribed to poor old Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who felt defenseless against stupidity

Postby Dave B » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:12 am

awjoe wrote:So if you were busking with a multitimbral synth, you could play against a programmed percussion part and a string part?

Yes. And some bass. And a pad. And an organ part. And ... well, you get the idea ...

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby mitya33 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks guys. So the Stage 3 having only 2-part multitimbrality could be quite limiting in terms of composition?
mitya33
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:14 am

mitya33 wrote:Thanks guys. So the Stage 3 having only 2-part multitimbrality could be quite limiting in terms of composition?

Yes, it's not a compositional workstation, it's designed as a performance instrument (hence the name).
desmond
Jedi Poster