You are here

Korg Kronos - too much for noob?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Korg Kronos - too much for noob?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:19 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:After much mulling I finally ditched my Kronos a while back. I have to say that I haven't given it a second thought since it left. I have discovered that I have other tools that do at least as good a job, and are definitely much easier to live with.

As a TV advert once asserted 'power is nothing without control'...
Yes, I’ve only had mine a day, and it’s doing my head in. It’s actually a joke, how complex and unintuitive it is.
Wait until you begin to trying to understand how to load/save individual sounds... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I’ve done it, buts it’s a total PITA, on the Nord, strangely :) there is just one button, and strangely again :) it’s called "Store" you just choose your location, press it twice and that’s that.
As much as it contradicts what I’ve said in the past, the Nord is looking more attractive by the minute.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:56 am

Nothing wrong with the Nord, but I'd take a Kurzweil every time. Much, MUCH more flexible - like the engine of the Kronos, but with a far easier operating system.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 am

The Elf wrote:Nothing wrong with the Nord, but I'd take a Kurzweil every time. Much, MUCH more flexible - like the engine of the Kronos, but with a far easier operating system.

Which Kurzweil would you recommend?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IAA » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:20 am

I’m not going to say go for one or the other, it’s your choice, but I find saving and adding FX on the Kronos quite straightforward. I think the depth of control and it’s sampling are real assets in the studio. It’s not the easiest OS to understand for sure, but I wouldn’t be without it.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:41 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:Nothing wrong with the Nord, but I'd take a Kurzweil every time. Much, MUCH more flexible - like the engine of the Kronos, but with a far easier operating system.

Which Kurzweil would you recommend?
It all depends on what you need. For a simple plug'n'go stage keyboard the old K2000 would still be fine (lovely feeling keyboard too), but if you want more fancy features, such as ribbons, weighted keys, longer keyboard... you move forward in time. If it's VAST it's more than capable of what you want - the only thing you may want to check is whether the one you choose has sample RAM installed, should you want to load your own samples.

After a bit of a blip in my Kurzweil faith Dave B re-introduced me to the church with the PC3K7, and that has become my third arm - such an easy synth/workstation to live with.

Word has it that the latest Kurzweil VAST synth is just as good as the old ones, but it's very light (a bit too much light platic for my taste, TBH) and comes with an external PSU - you could take a look at that if you want something contemporary with a shop-bought guarantee.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby N i g e l » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Nothing wrong with the Nord, but I'd take a Kurzweil every time. Much, MUCH more flexible - like the engine of the Kronos, but with a far easier operating system

After a bit of a blip in my Kurzweil faith Dave B re-introduced me to the church with the PC3K7, and that has become my third arm - such an easy synth/workstation to live with.

PC3k8 (weighted keys) is my mothership, it is comprehensive and very easy to knock up some midi on the recorder {and even hand edit out some of my mistakes}. Its verging on a two man lift so perhaps not for carting around. One of the original design goals was as reinforcement in the orchestra pit, so the instrument sounds are very useable.

The big piano sound is the triple_strike_piano .

VAST is comprehensive but as its complex like a modular, you will have to spend time with it. Even trying out all the effects will take time. There are a load of good tutorial videos of course.

The PC editor is downloadable from Kurzweil which would give you an idea of what it can do.

The onboard demos are good and can be listened to from the Kurz website
http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3k8/audio/
the Kurz Supremecy is my favourite.

I dont know how this all relates to their more modern gear. One complaint has been the size of the display but Im happy with it. Im ok with seeing text "StonePhasor12" rather than seeing an actual hi res image of said footpedal.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:49 am

Just checked out the Kurzweil Rhodes, not sure if it’s as good as the Nord Rhodes? Sounds a bit synthetic, a good Rhodes is the most important thing for me.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous