You are here

a learning keyboard for my 16 yr old

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

a learning keyboard for my 16 yr old

Postby drmax » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Hello. My son is almost 17 and has an ear for music and has demonstrated ability for keyboard. I'm looking for probably a semi weighted 88 key unit with speakers built in, simply due to cost and maneuverability. He has learned a little to the beginning of "carrie" by Europe, which really suprised me. So with whatever unit is recommended, it is most important that the unit can create this sound. I'm from the 80's and played hair music in a guitar several yrs so I'm sorta familiar with what I'm after, and price point. Was leaning toward a Yamaha Mox F8 (or F6) but doesn't have the built in speakers.
Could someone please point me in the right direction and any advice would be appreciated.
Greg
drmax

Re: a learning keyboard for my 16 yr old

Postby Guido3 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 am

You’ll struggle to find a semi-weighted 88 note board.

An 88 note keyboard wouldn’t really give you any level of portability so look for either a 61 or 76 note. I wouldn’t get anything with built in speakers. The models you have suggested are a good starting point. Roland FA6/7, Yamaha MOXF6. You could also look at the Roland Juno DS range which is cheaper than the FA but seems to have a good feature set.

Have you thought about a S/H Roland Fantom X or Fantom G? If portability isn’t a major issue, you could pick up a used Fantom G8 (fully weighted) for less than a grand (It’s insanely heavy though).

A pair of powered monitors shouldn’t cost much. You could even get away with a really nice pair of headphone for less than £100.

I cut my teeth back in the early 70’s on a cheap plastic Bontempi organ thing!! At the end of the day if he loves playing his music anything will do.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: a learning keyboard for my 16 yr old

Postby Folderol » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 am

I was going to suggest the headphone route too. It would mean he can practice in confidence and make as many mistakes as he likes, without embarrassment or annoyance to the rest of the family.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!