You are here

Poor monitor quality using usb synth patches

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Poor monitor quality using usb synth patches

Postby MinisterMT » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 pm

I recently started playing keys in a church that has an incredible sound system and all the latest technical gadgets. The keyboard patches come out of a MacBook Pro and the keyboard is a Yamaha 88. For some reason, the patches sound incredible through the Sound
system but through my emir monitors it sounds really bad. I’ve even replaced that you near monitors with a good set of studio headphones and it still sounds poor.

It kind of takes the fun out of playing in makes it a lot more difficult to do my thing. Does anyone Have any suggestions?
MinisterMT
New here

Re: Poor monitor quality using usb synth patches

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi MinisterMT, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I suspect we'll be able to offer far more advice if you can give us a little more detail about the church sound system and the particular of 'emir' monitors that you yourself have.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MinisterMT » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:31 pm

I am really sorry for the poor spelling. I meant to say “in ear” monitors.

I don’t know the sound system details other than its a digital sound board exclusively for monitors on the stage. There are no stage monitors for musicians or vocals, everyone is using in ears.

The house seats about 3,000 people and the sound is awesome.

One more issue is that the wireless to signal to some of the in ear monitors cuts out randomly. The stage is 2,000+ square feet and I guess there is an issue boosting the signal...
MinisterMT
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:03 pm

MinisterMT wrote:For some reason, the patches sound incredible through the Sound
system but through my emir monitors it sounds really bad. I’ve even replaced that you near monitors with a good set of studio headphones and it still sounds poor.

Swapping the in-ears with headphones obviously eliminates the actual ear-buds as the problem.

Can you expand on how the monitoring 'sounds really bad'?

In-ear systems all introduce some latency, so I'm wondering if perhaps the issue is down to the inevitable short time delay between the direct PA sound leaking through your ear-buds and the ear-bud sound itself? That will tend to cause significant colouration, a bit like the sound of cupping your hands in front of your mouth as you speak.

Another possibility is that the wireless system is just not very good. Many use heavy data-reduction algorithms which can degrade the sound to some extent. Or perhaps it just isn't been driven with the appropriate signal level, or the transmitters are placed poorly and the receivers are struggling to decode the signal properly.

Is there any chance of a (temporary) wired foldback system, for the purposes of eliminating the wireless IEM TX/RX devices?

What does the IEM feed sound like at the output of the mixing desk?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MinisterMT » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:46 pm

I have a rehearsal tonight and will see what I can learn. I know that what I am looking for is related to the keyboard sounds because the click and multi tracks all sound clean, as do the vocals that come through my in ears. It’s just the keyboard sounds like there isn’t enough polyphony to generate a full sound.

I hope to learn more tonight and post back in the morning!

Thank you
MinisterMT
New here

Postby MinisterMT » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 pm

So, the biggest thing I learned last night is the EQ on the monitor board is not being used. I am starting to believe the issue may be as simple warming up the EQ to the monitor channel.

At this point, I am going to try and ask more questions and hopefully get an opportunity to offer some suggestions, but as the new guy, I don’t want to sound like a know it all so for now, I think I will say thank you for your feedback and close out the string.

Thank you
MinisterMT
New here