You are here

Dark Arcade – a Low Cost Paraphonic Synthesizer Module

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Dark Arcade – a Low Cost Paraphonic Synthesizer Module

Postby siike92 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Hey SOS!

Over the past 2 years I've been developing a low cost ($120) paraphonic synthesizer module called Dark Arcade. I've been designing DIY audio projects since high school (I'm 26 now) and this is my first big project that I'm actually sharing. I started off building simple oscillators and other synthesizer building blocks before taking a class at Columbia College Chicago called Sound Art Electronics that really pushed me to design more elaborate projects that also featured microcontrollers. Shortly before graduation I set out to build a simple hybrid digital/analog bass synthesizer with MIDI control. After 2 years of development that original design morphed into Dark Arcade, a paraphonic digital/analog hybrid synthesizer with digital oscillators, an analog OTA-based filter section, analog OTA-based amplifier section, analog envelope generator section, and analog LFO section. It also has an 8-bit karplus-strong mode that's pretty cool. Check out the Kickstarter page (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/siike92/dark-arcade-a-low-cost-paraphonic-synthesizer-modu) for video and audio demonstrations and follow siike92 and the.room.dis.connect on instagram for updates.

I'm holding a giveaway for 2 free Dark Arcade units (https://www.instagram.com/p/BpAQA3tDAvL/?taken-by=the.room.dis.connect) and I'm also holding a contest to get your music on the vinyl album that will be released along with the synth (https://www.instagram.com/p/BpAPR3hjhY8/?taken-by=the.room.dis.connect).​

Since I'm a graduate student without an adequate budget for marketing, I'm relying on the communities I know best to get the word around. Let me know what you think and if anyone has any advice for me in regards to marketing I'd love to hear it in the comments as well. Thanks for checking the project out!
siike92

Re: Dark Arcade – a Low Cost Paraphonic Synthesizer Module

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:59 pm

This looks interesting! I will check it out over the weekend, thanks for the heads up.
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:03 am

I congratulate you on building your own synth - that's quite an achievement.

Sorry to see you pulled the kickstarter, but I completely understand and respect your reasons for doing so.

I wish you the very best with your future projects - the world needs people like you to keep things interesting!

Cheers
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
The  man cave and some resulting works.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi siike92,

I echo Eddy's thoughts, and hope you are able to return to this interesting project in due course.

Fingers crossed!

Martin
Martin Walker