You are here

New keyboard suggestions

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

New keyboard suggestions

Postby kingy75 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:46 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Roland FA-08 after spending quite some time deliberating between it and the Yamaha MOXF8. However I'm not sure I'm completely satisfied with the product. What I was looking for was:

* An 88-note weighted workstation synth that weights less than the S90XS or Fantom G8 so is easier to transport around for gigs.
* The ability to import samples and play them on the keyboard (the FA-08 will only let you play samples via the pads)
* I don't want the sound to cut off when I move from one Performance/Program/Split/Layer to the next (this is an issue for me with the FA-08 and S90XS).
* Plenty of User storage area to store patches, splits, layers & performances that I create
* A decent user interface that lets me access favourite sounds/performances quickly without scrolling through numerous screens/options.
* The ability to create layers with up to 16 zones if necessary - 4 isn't enough

What sold me on the FA-08 eventually was the action. To me it feels much better than the GHS action on the MOXF8.

With all the above mind does anyone have any suggestions on what might best suit my needs? Perhaps I'm dreaming when I say I want something that's not as heavy as the S90XS/Fantom G8 :)

Where does the Kurzweil PC3K8 sit in relation to the above?

Thanks so much in advance,
Chris
kingy75

Re: New keyboard suggestions

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 am

The PC3k8 fits most of your requirements and is built a lot sturdier than the FA08. But that sturdiness comes at the price of it's weight - I'm not sure it's any lighter than the boards you mention. Also, the user interface is a bit marmite (sorry - given your location that should probably be vegemite) : some people get on well with it, others loath it. Yes, it's a bit 90s, but I can fly around it faster than I can use an external editor.

I do have to say that the newer Forte is actually a fair bit lighter and has some better multi-sampled pianos and e-pianos, so if that's your thing, then it might be more suitable.

Both use the Fatar keybed and I love that. Obviously, weighted actions are a personal thing. It seems about the same as the Korg RH3 on my Kronos. I find the Roland action a little lumpy for my taste.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: New keyboard suggestions

Postby Guido3 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:09 pm

I’ve owned a Kurzweil PC3X and a Roland Fantom G8. The G8 is without doubt the heaviest board I have ever gigged with. The PC3X was much lighter.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.