You are here

I have an OP-Z - AMA

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

I have an OP-Z - AMA

Postby bcl10421 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 pm

I have an OP-Z, and I can answer questions anyone has about the synthesis, sound and sequencing (just don't ask me any DMX / Unity related questions!)
bcl10421
New here

Re: I have an OP-Z - AMA

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:02 pm

How are you liking it thus far? Are you integrating it with other gear? If so, what and how?
Ben Asaro
Regular

Postby bcl10421 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:52 pm

Sorry for lateness of the reply!

I'm really enjoying the OP-Z - its sequencer workflow is very easy to get the hang of if you spend around an hour or so going through the learning materials provided with the box, and looking over the manual on TE's website.

It's a very different beast from the OP-1, its workflow is based entirely around the sequencer, and it has no screen. Even though there's an iOS OP-Z app that provides a graphical display for you OP-Z, i never use it. It's designed to be used "headless", with a system of colour-coded LEDs providing visual feedback on the changes you are making to a parameter (take, for example, panning from L to R. The OP-Z tells you that the panning is dead-centre when the context-sensitive LED next to the panning dial flashes green). Unless you are using the VideoPak or the Photomatic functionalities there's really no need for the companion iOS app.

There are 8 instrument tracks on the OPZ- 4 percussion and 4 tuned instruments. You can load samples onto each, if you like, and the handling of samples is exactly the same as the OP-1 -- in fact, the OP-Z consumes sample files in the OP-1 .aif format, and handles the chopping of 20 second percussion samples across the keyboard in exactly the same way.

In terms of the flow... in many ways, i find it much easier to finish a track on the OP-Z than I do on the OP-1. The feedback from my workflow is even quicker than on the OP-1, and the even more constrained environment allows tracks to be finished a lot more smoothly- and because you can literally edit anything after it has been laid down (unlike the OP-1), you can really refine how the mix sounds.

I am barely scratching the surface of what the OP-Z can do... it's a worthwhile investment, especially if (1) you're on the go a lot and (2) you want something fresh to inspire you to actually finish a track!
bcl10421
New here

Postby bcl10421 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Re your question of gear integration - it integrates to the OP-1 straight out of the box- all you need is a male-to-male cable with USB C at one end and Mini USB at the other. Tempo is usually synced to the OP-1 as the master and the OP-Z as the slave. Pushing play on the OP-1 causes the OP-Z to start playing, and vice versa. You can also use the musical keyboard from the OP-Z to control the OP-1 and vice versa, and you can control the midi routing on both the OP-1 and the OP-Z (this is one of those rare instances where the OPZ iOS app really helps!)

I haven't tried synching with other gear.
bcl10421
New here