You are here

Realtime Scale Conversion via MIDI Keyboard map? (Autotonic alternative)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Realtime Scale Conversion via MIDI Keyboard map? (Autotonic alternative)

Postby Elephone » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Hello. I'm looking for alternatives to buying Autotonic software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtuoZyr3aMM

The free one is virtually pointless since you can simply transpose the black keys to play pentatonics in all keys and get all the modes in any key by simply pressing the transpose button on the keyboard.

This is such a simple concept (remapping the MIDI keyboard keys to produce scales of choice) that I find it hard to justify spending money on that plugin. Is there any way to set up Reaper, Reason 5 or Kontakt 5 to do something very similar so I can actually play alt scales in realtime? I'm surprised this feature isn't simply built in.

I know there is a way to move samples in Reason and Kontakt, but I'd prefer to do it by simply reassigning keyboard keys. Can it be done, even if it's not quite as easy as Autotonic?

Thanks

P.S. I can actually play keyboard and I understand theory, but I want to hear what other tonalities would be like if they were set up to play like diatonic or pentatonic scales.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Realtime Scale Conversion via MIDI Keyboard map? (Autotonic alternative)

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Take a look at pizmidi's 'MIDIChords'. When I was looking for similar I found this to be the best of them. You can pretty much map any MIDI note to any other(s).

pizmidi's MIDIScaleChanger is a simpler offering if you really just need 1-2-1 scale mapping/quantisation.

Both free...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Elephone » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks!
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby AutoTonic » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi, Clemens here, the creator of AutoTonic.

Elephone wrote:The free one is virtually pointless since you can simply transpose the black keys to play pentatonics in all keys and get all the modes in any key by simply pressing the transpose button on the keyboard.
-->This is not true. The free one does also map other scales than just pentatonic scales. It is based on the same unique MODAL mapping method AutoTonic's paid versions are -- and capable of several unusual non-penta/heptatonic-scales which can be combined with lots of predeclared tonics (in short: the free version indeed allows of other scales, which are not based on 5 respectively 7 notes per octave as usually).

Elephone wrote:This is such a simple concept (remapping the MIDI keyboard keys to produce scales of choice) that I find it hard to justify spending money on that plugin.
-->Please let's start from scratch: AutoTonic is NOT a piano and NOT a music theory hack. It is instead defined – by its patent – as a 'musical instrument' concept. So please try now replacing in your thoughts AutoTonic for example with another instrument, let's say the trumpet. --> Can we say the trumpet is a 'simple' concept? And would it make the trumpet any less expensive, comparing it for example to a harp? Also, AutoTonic is NOT a plugin by the way, hope you understood about that.

Elephone wrote:Is there any way to set up Reaper, Reason 5 or Kontakt 5 to do something very similar so I can actually play alt scales in realtime? I'm surprised this feature isn't simply built in.
-->I don't have Reaper but almost every DAW has some sort of transposing feature. There also exist a lot of plugins/MIDI processors nowadays that even suggest what to play or what would suit your playing, chord progressions etc, but AutoTonic does not suggest anything to you. It's a plain note converter, reinterpreting any existing MIDI keyboard like a new instrument. -->There was once a guy in the same town I live, who tried to compete with his creation against the piano, a houndred years ago or so. That was at a time, where even the piano wasn't that established, respectively it was still a young instrument concept at that time, often build with different color schemes and knee pedals etc, … anyways, now this guy that I mean, he created such a linear keyed instrument but was highly unsuccessful with it …
Image … in my opinion this picture of that exact instrument portraits AutoTonic somehow pretty good. --> What if we just had another control device in front of us, able to map out a scale linearly? And with AutoTonic I've gone even further, as there are several things more in addition now …
*AutoTonic reinterprets ANY existing, traditional keyboard =no need for new gear!
*allows to switch mappings in realtime, by the use of the black keys
*maps out TRUE MODAL scales (=that's 24,576 scales in western tonal music)
*includes a manageable scales database
*chord stacking feature with up to 52 variables!
*maximum compatibiltiy with any software/plugin/hardware etc,
*keyboard splitting (eg, chord /w left and scale /w right hand)
and much more

Elephone wrote:I know there is a way to move samples in Reason and Kontakt, but I'd prefer to do it by simply reassigning keyboard keys. Can it be done, even if it's not quite as easy as AutoTonic?
Thanks P.S. I can actually play keyboard and I understand theory, but I want to hear what other tonalities would be like if they were set up to play like diatonic or pentatonic scales.
-->With all respect, but I think you are misinterpreting AutoTonic for what it is. Because it does not make any sense to use AutoTonic for previewing 'what other tonalities would be like'. It's like saying the same 'I want to hear what other tonalities would be like' about a trumpet. -->AutoTonic breaks a lot of historical conventions instead and can be described as a musical instrument concept on its own. It is something one has to get used to, like with every other instrument too.

Hope I have convinced you rethinking your opinion a bit. A lot of efforts and personal resources went into the making of this (yes, I have created it on my own -- started working on it way back in 2011). I am not a big company and this is my only product I am working on, so if you hopefully one day understand about it – even though I haven't understood/discovered all new possibilities yet, and I use it almost daily myself – then I'll be happy to answer your questions. You can either reach me through my homepage's in-browser chat or simply write me an email.

Clemens from AutoTonic
https://www.autotonic.net

AutoTonic

Postby zenguitar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:29 am

Welcome to the SOS forums Clemens.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra