You are here

Novation Peak OS1.2!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Novation Peak OS1.2!

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm

A fabulous synth, now even better! Gawd bless 'em for the extra LFOs and the re-designed mod matrix window...

https://novationmusic.com/news/peak-v12-firmware-update
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Novation Peak OS1.2!

Postby Dave B » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Interesting. That's another synth on my "when I have time and spare cash" list ... :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Dave B wrote:Interesting. That's another synth on my "when I have time and spare cash" list ... :)
Poly aftertouch, too, mate! :ugeek: ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:51 pm

I've been pondering one of these for a while now. Prices seem to have gone down and now up again. I really like the sound though, I feel like it'd sit very well with the old analogue Rolands.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:33 pm

1.2 has turned the Peak from a decent synth into something of a gem. The two additional LFOs really do increase its worth, and the mod matrix is now finally usable (the number of times I've lost a patch trying to manipulate those pages...). It's almost like having a Peak Mk2!

I know a lot of people are quite excited by the expanded number of wavetables, but I'm not so interested. It's nice to know they're there, but they remain something I'll rarely visit.

I spent a happy half-hour (successfully) recreating the PolyMoog 'Vox Humana' patch on a Peak recently, and it did give me a new respect for this synth - 1.2 just adds a rather tasty cherry to the cake.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkyC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:53 am

Just did the upgrade and oh my word lots of new things to figure out.

Most impressive though was that I was trying to do too many things at the same time and initially messed up the upgrade. Contacted Peak support via chat, had to reboot PC and by the time I was back in they had emailed me with a fix, great documentation and got everything back on track no problem. Just great customer service - thanks Ed Fry!
MarkyC
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:02 pm

I've always found Focusrite/Novation to be very responsive and helpful. Glad to hear others have a similar experience to mine.

1.2 has turned Peak from a synth I really liked to one of my all-time favourites. The new Mod page is the star of the show for me - no more accidental button presses losing an hour's work! I can't say the wavetables do much for me, but I've never been a fan of *any* wavetable synth, so I'm probably a lost cause.

The more people who see and hear me using the Peak, the more sales of it I seem to be generating - I should be on commission! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:15 pm

All of this just as I'd convinced myself I don't need a synth...
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Finally picked up a Peak the other day, and ooooh boy it's nice. Haven't upgraded to 1.2 yet, but even still there's plenty of synth to be getting on with.

Sonically it's interesting, it has something of the early-mid 80s Korg/Roland sound to it, but is not overly vintagey. Nor does it feel like a brash 2010s EDM monster, though the factory presets seem to want to show that side of it. I'm very happy with it so far, and am finding it genuinely inspirational.

It was a tough call between this and the Sequential/DSI Rev 2, but I'm glad I chose the Peak, despite the lack of keys and onboard sequencer. Will be upgrading the OS when I've got my head around what's already there, I think.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:04 pm

FWIW I'd suggest getting it to 1.2 straight away. You will find the mod matrix much less frustrating and you will not lose so many patches by a stray click!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:43 am

Dave B wrote:Interesting. That's another synth on my "when I have time and spare cash" list ... :)

Zukan

Postby BillB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:54 pm

Sorry to dig up an old-ish thread but, having cast more than a glance at the Peak, I am surprised to see that it has no voice panning. Is it correct that the only stereo movement comes from the stereo effects? Seems like quite a sonic omission for a synth with so many modulation options.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:14 am

BillB wrote:Is it correct that the only stereo movement comes from the stereo effects?
No, that's not correct. You can set the 8 voices to pan randomly. Beyond that it's not something that's ever troubled me - few of the revered old polys had much in the way of panning features - my old OB Xpander being a notable exception.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am

I'm tempted by this simply because I've just rediscovered my A-Station, and this must have a lot more potential. I like Novation stuff because it really doesn't have, a sound, by its very nature it's capable of so many interesting things, I have about 50 sounds in my AS that are some of my favourites of all time, and they are all radically different.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:44 am

Peak is a fantastic synth that is right up there with the best synths I've ever owned. It really is that good.

The only that is going to prise Peak from my fingers is Summit - splittable filter, 16 voices and internal PSU... I so wish that they had blessed it with a poly AT keyboard to exploit its ability to respond to poly AT (which is a huge bonus with Peak), but it's close to perfection in my eyes.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:05 am

The Elf wrote:Peak is a fantastic synth that is right up there with the best synths I've ever owned. It really is that good.

The only that is going to prise Peak from my fingers is Summit - splittable filter, 16 voices and internal PSU...

MMmmm? Tempting, the Summit.
Really does sound like it has potential, not the same old stuff in the demo's.
5 octaves too, could replace my mother keyboard plus new sounds.
But it's more programming, the only thing that puts me off, spending time on that again.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:07 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:Peak is a fantastic synth that is right up there with the best synths I've ever owned. It really is that good.

The only that is going to prise Peak from my fingers is Summit - splittable filter, 16 voices and internal PSU...

But it's more programming, the only thing that puts me off, spending time on that again.
Programming is a doddle. Look at all those knobs and sliders!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:14 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

Programming is a doddle. Look at all those knobs and sliders!

I'm looking at them, that's the problem!

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:10 pm

The Summit is tempting, indeed... I still find the Peak inspiring every time I switch it on. It's a joy to program, nothing feels like a chore. The Summit brings some of the menu items onto the panel, which will be nice and the choices seem very sensible, but even so I don't ever feel like the Peak is a 'menu-y' synth. Very little of it is more than a couple of button pushes away and it almost always feels logical and accessible. There are a couple of minor exceptions, but perhaps that's down to my level of familiarity rather than there being menus per se.

One of the stand-out features of the Peak, for me, is the simple fact it has 3 full oscillators. Even if you can make very good patches with just 1 or 2, having that 3rd osc there when you want it is very useful.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:01 pm

nathanscribe wrote:One of the stand-out features of the Peak, for me, is the simple fact it has 3 full oscillators. Even if you can make very good patches with just 1 or 2, having that 3rd osc there when you want it is very useful.
Good point. You've hit on something that hadn't really ocurred to me, yet I agree completely. It's like having a polyphonic MiniMoog.

And when each of those three oscillators can also be a multi-wave with adjustable detune... It makes for huge pad sounds!

I've just thought of another of my favourite Peak features - beat detune. When I have to put up with 'normal' pitch detune on other polys it always pains me that I either have to accept out-of-tune high notes, or not-detuned-enough bass notes.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next