You are here

One Synth Challenge III - This time it's personal

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One Synth Challenge III - This time it's personal

Postby MarkyC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:46 pm

As I’m still learning about this stuff I spent the evening listening to all the tracks and then looking up the gear used, and very enjoyable and insightful it was too!
So for what it’s worth (and really it isn’t worth anything) ……

The Waldorf Rocket, blimey such a tiny thing yet it really does sound amazing and all in very musical! – I’ve now listened to some demos of this but Rich’s track is better.
Jumpeyspyder’s Novation UltraNova just sounds so deep and dreamy – sitting in this hotel room looking out at the Leeds city lights twinkling in the background, it’s actually a perfect sound scape for where I am. Thanks Jumpy.
For IIA’s it not just the sound that’s impressive but great playing – wife and I just looked at each other when this came on cool, atmospheric and big! You think ooh that’s great keyboard playing and then the bass hits you!
BJG45 had not heard of a Yamaha VL70 before and as such this caused lots of head scratching and which bits a synth? type thoughts – OK! now I get it, wind synth must surely be a new hipster trend thing organic sounding and synthy! Different and fresh
The CS15 just has that low end analogue umph, Fruitcake you must just love this thing and it shows. This is a man’s synth (or woman’s) but played manly and no mistake. (Sorry just realised that Fruitcake is gender neutral so hope I haven’t offended)
Folderol – I wish I had more guts and said I thought this was your one. I love the composition. I know you had it at Synthfest but I can’t seem to find much out on Yoshimi …
Richie’s Nord Lead is blinking well funky! Mostly when I see these used it is for piano or organ but this had loads more sounds and groove!
Eddy and his Korg Trinity is just epic – it’s one of those ones you listen to and then go, nuts I wish I could do that! Big sounds, highs and lows, breaks, just as you are relaxing into it you wonder that something a bit ominous is coming….
DaveB you and your niece should be soo happy with this – it just makes me smile and feel happy – what’s not to like. And blimey how few takes for the vocal! As for the tetra again it’s a tiny thing! I’m seriously questioning my preconceptions hear.
Keiransi ah the DX7! It just has it’s own era all wrapped up in one oral package, I don’t know why but I just want to grab a cocktail somewhere warm and relax
Ah and I’m off dreaming again to Rich’s Korg Delta – analaogy, warm, and yet a bit melancholy at the same time. I must say I’m also a sucker for anything that has shakers in it so I’m sold already. These old synths really do have something to them and I can see what all the fuss is.
Ohh the DSI OB-6 sounds lush with Dan LB just layering those lush pads over a cool bass it’s all very hypnotic. So hypnotic I’ve just realised I’ve played it three times over and need to call the wife at some point!
Ah and then there was the Elf – I listened to this without knowing what it was some time ago, just chilling in the office on a sunny winters day and it was lovely. Again this one changes my perception of what the instrument is, this feels just so now. I’ve been to ambient gigs where there are racks of PC’s, controllers and Euro racks and often they don’t connect – but this does.

Thanks Dave, not only for the challenge but the education!
Blimey that’s more than I have written for quite some time!
MarkyC
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback Marky.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm

IAA wrote:Track 14 : Loved the mood this sets – and really dig the tron done like this...
...you’ve certainly not let an 8 second limitation get in the way of creativity great stuff
:oops: Thank you.

The 8 second-per-note limitation is actually a major part of the creative push - it forces me to keep moving (and the closing part of some of the tapes can be quite gnarly!). Similarly the loops and delays do much the same. I *have* to keep things progressing. TBH it's like spinning plates! I can't leave anything for too long and I have to keep revisiting and replacing plates I set spinning. Sometimes I get it wrong, and sometimes I get a very wobbly plate!

This piece for OSC is only my half of a two-man improv. It is much easier when I have someone to bounce off and relax for a moment while I consider my next move, but it makes it more spaced out when it's out of context like this.

IAA wrote:(is it really an harmonica?) is very disturbing!
I think(!) :? it's Steel Guitar through a multiple fuzz/distortion combo.

IAA wrote:finally love the reverb - what was it Valhalla?
The reverb is all from the Helix.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 pm

MarkyC wrote:Ah and then there was the Elf – I listened to this without knowing what it was some time ago, just chilling in the office on a sunny winters day and it was lovely. Again this one changes my perception of what the instrument is, this feels just so now. I’ve been to ambient gigs where there are racks of PC’s, controllers and Euro racks and often they don’t connect – but this does.
:oops:
Thank you, my friend.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:38 pm

I was close with a few, but others completely foxed me. I like that! It colours my world! :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 am

but great playing

Thank you MarkyC! :blush:

Elf, where are you playing , I live near Sheffield would love to see the show.

Ian
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:13 am

IAA wrote:Elf, where are you playing , I live near Sheffield would love to see the show.
The next scheduled is actually in York on 4th April, but it will actually only be a 15-minute version as part of the 'Electronic Music Open Mic' event.

15 minutes to set up, 15 minutes to perform... Something about that appeals to me. 8-)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 am

IAA wrote:Track 1 : Great bass sound - reminded me of jeff waynes war of the worlds and I think that was a P5! Some lovely orchestral backdrops and very lush complimentary reverb – The lead line resonance towards the end was nicely done too.

Thanks for the nice words. :thumbup:

As for the reverb, it does sound nice, doesn't it? The thing is, there is absolutely none at all! Just delays on some parts, but they were more for rhythm than ambience. I just happened to hit upon the sweet spot for longer release times doing the work in place of reverb!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:28 pm

The Elf wrote:The next scheduled is actually in York on 4th April, but it will actually only be a 15-minute version as part of the 'Electronic Music Open Mic' event.

::: Goes off for a quick google... :::
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:30 pm

The Elf wrote:15 minutes to set up, 15 minutes to perform... Something about that appeals to me. 8-)
Will try and get along to that, but you might need to review your set up procedure, from the website "Performers: slots will be about 15 minutes (including set up and pack down times), "
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:13 pm

blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:15 minutes to set up, 15 minutes to perform... Something about that appeals to me. 8-)
Will try and get along to that, but you might need to review your set up procedure, from the website "Performers: slots will be about 15 minutes (including set up and pack down times), "
Hadn't spotted that. OK, maybe mine is a 10 minute performance! :lol:

It's not confirmed yet, so hang fire for the moment. I'll let people know if I'm definitely on the bill.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks again for those who commented on Yoshimi.
With some reluctance I have to point out that currently it is Linux only. My understanding is that it would be comparatively easy to port it across to the Mac but nobody on the team has the knowledge or the hardware to do that.

However, for those with a interest in what it can do - and need some bed-time reading, here is a PDF copy of the advanced user guide. Please keep in mind that this has been written by complete amateurs and I know there are duplications and errors :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby IAA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:34 pm

here is a PDF copy of the advanced user guide
Crikey, now that’s what I call a user manual! You ought to show Roland so they have an idea that a user manual is more than 2 pages of stuff you can work out from just looking at the screen! :headbang:

I’m Mac but if ever you port, count me in as a tester it’s a lovely sounding instrument.

Ian
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Now if only it could be translated into Japanese and then back to English again, it should be perfect!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dave B » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Wonks wrote:Now if only to can it could translated into Japanese being and then return to the language English times one, it should achieve perfection!

As you are talking about a Roland manual, I’ve fixed that for you.

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

PreviousNext