You are here

Korg Delta

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Korg Delta

Postby Rich Hanson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:17 am

(After that last thread, let's have a cheery, non bad-temepered one :D )

Many years ago, I bought a Korg Delta - not the greatest synth, but I quite liked the string synth. I eventually sold it to a friend for peanuts, and he eventually passed it on to someone else.

Well, as of tomorrow evening, it will have made its way back to me! :bouncy:

As it has been in the latter person's parents' loft for a long time, it'll be interesting to see whether it is still working - I understand the capacitors can dry out, and I don't know what the loft conditions are like. Tomorrow evening could be interesting!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Re: Korg Delta

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:31 am

I love a bit of nostalgia.

There's something magical about old synthesizers that you used to own, even if they appear rather modest by modern standards :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Dave B » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 am

Yay! Always nice when beloved old kit comes home!

:bouncy:

.... oh dear ....

At this point, I would like to offer a full and frank apology for any possible offence the above statement might have made. This is both to Rich and Korg and any other parties in between who may have owned, used, handled or seen said synth. I realise that this kind of statement makes me a Bad Person and I shall now strip to the waist, go into the snow and scourge myself thoroughly with a hastily improvised cat-o-nine-tails. Whereupon, I shall be issuing another, more in-depth, apology to everyone around me, everyone who potentially might have seen me and, lastly, to Google, the Kremlin, Nasa and any other space agencies whose satellites may have caught glimpses of my self-flagellation and partial nudity.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 am

Yeah Dave, you monster, how could you? I think that apology should be your permanent sig :evil:

Moving swiftly on, on a semi-related note, I had something nice happen this weekend. Recently I had a brutal re-organisation of my studio and having bought analogue-y things I put aside some digital synths to sell on (which I've yet to get around to ... :blush: ) but my wife has been watching me getting into the One Synth Challenge work lately and has found the process quite interesting, so she asked if she could buy one.

After I stopped laughing at the concept of selling something to one's wife, I gave her the Yamaha XS8, which is great because that means I don't lose use of it, albeit it's in a separate building from the house :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:50 am

Ahh .... another victim succumbs. I'll just get one synth / keyboard ... that'll be enough .... I don't need any more ... I can give it up anytime ....

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:58 am

Yes, I think Dave should go and sit on the naughty step, flagellating himself with a wet haddock, while he thinks about what he's done. He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Anyhoo, it shall be interesting to reacquaint myself with said machine. It might even become a candidate for the next one synth challenge.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby arkieboy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Been a few years ago now, but my first electric guitar found its way back to me in similar fashion. It too had lived in the attic of someone and then given to my brother in a clear out.

Truth be told it is a dreadful Satellite Les Paul copy with a neck like the moguls after a busy season at Cloisters. No idea how I played it. Sole redeeming feature was a pair of Dimarzio Mighty Mites ...
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:07 pm

arkieboy wrote: Sole redeeming feature was a pair of Dimarzio Mighty Mites ...

Mighty Mites or DiMarzios, they were different makes. I think most of us had Mighty Mites replacements fitted at the time, as they were then about half the price of DiMarzios. I've just replaced the Mighty Mites on a friends old Hondo II LP copy (Just like Max had) as they were both now very microphonic, so wouldn't take any gain at all before squealing. I fitted them on my 1978 Ibanez ST55, to replace the brutally powerful but otherwise dull sounding V2 pickups fitted to it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:44 pm

arkieboy wrote:Truth be told it is a dreadful Satellite Les Paul copy with a neck like the moguls after a busy season at Cloisters. No idea how I played it.

Hang it on the wall as a bit of history :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Rich Hanson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:00 pm

Oh God yes, keep it. I still regret ditching my first electric guitar, even if it had become an unplayable dog of an instrument; it'd be nice to still have it around as part of my personal history (I think I'm getting more sentimental as I get older!)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:49 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:but my wife has been watching me getting into the One Synth Challenge work lately and has found the process quite interesting, so she asked if she could buy one.

Ignore them, they're only jealous because your wife's on your side instead of watching like a hawk to try and catch you before you buy the next piece of expensive-but-unquestionably-essential music technology. My wife thinks the studio's great and all I have to do to earn her approval is record her and/or her band whenever she wants. A small price indeed.

Mind you, she's not entirely convinced by these things that seem to just make loud buzzing noises all the time but she seems willing to take my word for it that they're essential.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby Dave B » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:04 pm

How very dare you CC!!!

I'm just jealous that you chaps have wives !!!

:bouncy:
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 am

I think it fair to say that on occasion my wife would be jealous of you because you're not married to me :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby arkieboy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Wonks wrote:

Mighty Mites or DiMarzios, they were different makes

That's how they were described at the shop! I expect they will be Mighty Mites then - it wasn't an expensive guitar. You realise I'm now going to have to venture into the attic to find out exactly what they are!

The guitar isn't going anywhere anytime soon
arkieboy
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:08 pm

You must have been served by the Saturday Boy then. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:29 pm

arkieboy wrote:
Wonks wrote:

Mighty Mites or DiMarzios, they were different makes

That's how they were described at the shop!

In that case there's a good chance they'll be Seymour Duncans then :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Well the item in question is now back in my possession. Two keys need respringing and the synth section is only clicking (likely to be dried out caps as it has been in a loft for over a decade).

String synth still works well, though. Still as reedy as I remember, but a phaser should help (I always used to put it through one). Pots are a bit scratchy but that's not a major problem.

So now I either need to fix it myself (my eyes aren't what they were though) or find someone to fix it and hope it isn't too costly.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Fixed the stuck keys, must have had something heavy on top of it at some point as the metal frame was slightly bent, enough to stop the keys coming back up.

Just changed the capacitors in the filter circuit and all fixed :thumbup: Nice sounding filter. Either I had forgotten that, or I've got much better with synths in the 25 years since it was last in my possession, or it was already on the way out back then.

I'll worry about the scratchy pots another time.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 am

Rich Hanson wrote:
.......my eyes aren't what they were though............

One word: optiVISOR

http://www.doneganoptical.com/products/optivisor
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby MarkOne » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Korg Delta...

That brings back all kinds of memories.

1. It was the first synth I used live
2. It nearly killed me :o :o :o

I ended up unexpectedly playing keys in a band ('Listen, we need a 2nd keyboard player for the kind of stuff we're doing, you up for the gig? You can use my brother's Korg thingy if you like')

Several rehearsals and gigs went past and I got to grips with using the Delta fine, and all was well.

Then we did this one gig and I was setting up for sound check, plugged the Delta into my amp and BAM! there was a flash and I was several feet away on my A**.

Turns out the said brother had had hum problems using the synth in his rig and had done that old (and very stupid) trick of removing the earth wire in the plug...

Unfortunately he hadn't taped off the dangling earth wire and it proceeded to wrap itself around the live pin, so the whole chassis was live as soon as it was plugged in. I was fine holding the (live) jack plug until I completed the circuit plugging it in to my (properly earthed) amp.

I survived, and so incredibly did the synth. but my poor old keyboard amp was toast. (I later discovered that all the earth tracks on the input board had been completely vapourised!)

Since that time any gear I use that isn't mine gets checked thoroughly before being plugged in.

Still remember it as a good synth though :bouncy:
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Next