You are here

I'm getting grumpy in my old age - 2nd hand gear.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: I'm getting grumpy in my old age - 2nd hand gear.

Postby Fortunecookie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:55 am

I used to buy and sell lots of things secondhand,since around 2008 up until about 2 years ago,it allowed me to try out some hardware that I never originally was able to afford when they were first released,I've had some real bargains and in some cases after selling them on made a little profit I never tried to over egg the prices and always sold them on either to get my original outlay back or maybe if the item was bought cheaply made a few quid on it after selling it on again,this I found was a great way to try out and find some real great equipment or if not sell them on and still break even,this I found was a plus side to using Hardware instruments since most people were going ITB I've used no end of synths and gear and seen the prices stabilise for a long time

However,I have stopped trying to get things synth wise at a fair price because it seems far too many idiots are flooding the market with stupid prices,either trying to chance their arm in the hope some idiot buys at a high price due to some fad of the time reigniting a craze over some old hardware,I'm not talking about vintage synth equipment,this stupid craze seems to be of Equipment from the last decade or so and even some items that are still available new

its just out of control and just creating a Stalemate in the market!!!,I just don't get how some clown can try and sell something over and beyond what the original price was!!!Either its a case of most of the hardware secondhand is being bought by Kids who were bought up on software and rediscovering the joy of some of these newer hardware gear and of course supply and demand is inflating the prices but its gone totally over the top,I sold my Virus TI around 2 years ago for £850,I'd had it for a decade,loved and used it daily but got bored of it,so sold it on,even at £850 I felt it was a fair price and it was mint condition ,never gigged or abused the buyer was pleased, I didn't try to over price it as i only really seek things at a price that I would be happy to pay secondhand and always buying and elling and aware of the fair decent going rate of things so price accordingly and it even took a while to sell at that,Now I see them at double that,ok granted that you can still buy them new and they are going in excess of £2k still,but why are the Virus creeping up in price secondhand so steeply????

You see things like Roland JP8000's which were around the 3/350 mark a couple of years ago,now creeping up beyond the 6/700 point now and they are scratched and damaged,absolutely ludicrous for a mediocre VA??????,JD800's pushing the £1k mark??????of which your taking a risk as the spare parts should anything go wrong are impossible to come buy!!!!!Roland AX-1's,I sold one for about £200 a few years ago,now being listed at £500,its a midi keyboard FFS!!! the one that makes me laugh the most is the Roland AX Synth literally only just gone out of production a couple of years ago I've seen several up on Ebay priced with buy it nows in excess of 700 quid!!!,You can get the newer AX edge model new for £750!! Surely those people selling them must be aware of the newer AX edge model

I also see that many Hardware synth units that were once available in vast numbers secondhand over the past decade are now becoming hard to get hold of secondhand perhaps that has something to do with the over inflated prices when they do become available!.....I think theres a plethora of people sitting on unused secondhand gear that they had tossed aside a few years ago because they were not even worth trying to flog as it wasn't worth it are now crawling out of the woodwork thinking they are onto a cash cow and just creating a false over the top price hike.
Fortunecookie
New here

Postby Dave B » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:02 pm

In some respects, I'm starting to feel some sympathy for people who just have something to sell. Today I saw (on FB) someone list their beloved Jupiter 80 for 2k. Ordinarily, I'd laugh, but today I just felt sorry for him - there's no way he'll shift it at that price. Oh, I know he'll have paid much more new, but, sadly, Roland's strange ways meant that he bought a unit whose value plummeted just after he forked out. And I'm guessing that he'll be equally flummoxed as to why he can't shift it. After all, other people are listing them at that price ...

:(
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Guido3 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Dave B wrote:In some respects, I'm starting to feel some sympathy for people who just have something to sell. Today I saw (on FB) someone list their beloved Jupiter 80 for 2k. Ordinarily, I'd laugh, but today I just felt sorry for him - there's no way he'll shift it at that price.
:(

Dave, this highlights my point perfectly. I sold my Jupiter 80 fully flight cased for £950 around 3 years ago. I seem to think I paid £1100 for it. I used it for around a year. Loved the keybed (one of the best synth keybeds I have ever used) but it was too heavy for gigging so I moved it on. Even at £950 it didn’t fly out the door!!

If I were to buy another one today, I wouldn’t pay more than a grand.

They are in cloud cuckoo land if the think they will get £2k.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby MarkOne » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:55 am

for a few sales on eBay, I've done exactly the opposite.

Basically list it with a starting bid of a tenner, get a shed load of people watching it and hope to ride out the feeding frenzy to a fair price as the clock ticks down.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:59 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I’ve given away so many Glass Orchestra CDs that I don’t know anybody in my circle of friends, relatives and acquaintances who don’t have them.

You know, there must be a few of us with ageing CDs to give away. Perhaps we could have a CD swap at a SoSmeet some time.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby BJG145 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:17 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Perhaps we could have a ritual bonfire at a SoSmeet some time

FTFY
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:39 pm

I've got about 800 copies of my first EP taking up space in my garage - how many people do we usually get at an SOS meet?
:D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm

I still have over 600 of volume 1 and same of volume 2.
If I wait another 20 years they will be worth . . . . . (Sigh)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:50 pm

Take comfort from the fact that a million copies of Robbie Williams' Rudebox were crushed for Chinese road surfacing.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/robbie-w ... 88-1338919
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 pm

why on earth did they print a million in the first run???

Jeepers, that marketing team must be the one selling used kit on ebay.

Me? I always buy new or build my own. Too many unknowns for me in the used market and I love the shiny new car small when I crack open a fresh-from-the-factory guitar case, or the heady odor of dessicant and machine oil for new electronics. oooo! Worth every penny imo.

"pre-loved," "used," what have you, I'll leave it for others to fight over. But I have sold more gear than some music stores have in stock on any given day and every dollar "lost" on the transaction is meaningless to me.

Money is a tool I use to obtain other tools. I consider anything spent as spent, thus irrelevant to the next transaction.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby BJG145 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Watchmaker wrote:Me? I always buy new or build my own. Too many unknowns for me in the used market and I love the shiny new car small when I crack open a fresh-from-the-factory guitar case

Haha, yeah...I'm the opposite generally - I get my kicks from hunting down rusted and busted "bargains" and trying to get them fixed up. But on the rare occasions where I've had something that's new and nice...yep, I can appreciate that...!
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:10 pm

BJG145 wrote:Haha, yeah...I'm the opposite generally - I get my kicks from hunting down rusted and busted "bargains" and trying to get them fixed up. But on the rare occasions where I've had something that's new and nice...yep, I can appreciate that...!

I'm too frail. I tried, it just drives me nuts tbh. I've seen so much hillbilly engineering in my day it makes me blind with frustration. What killed it for me was a cockroach infestation from a 1968 Fender Champ I found on the side of the road. Sounded amazing, but eeewww!
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:18 pm

'roaches are the most Rock And Roll insect........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guido3 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Aaarrrggghhhhhhhh..........

An Electro 2 for £725!!! This is insane!!!
Guido3
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:00 pm

Yes, but you can flip it for 8!
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Guido3 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm

Watchmaker wrote:Yes, but you can flip it for 8!

You’re not helping my mood!! :thumbup:
Guido3
Regular

Postby Dave B » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 pm

So looking at the range, I think that I'd exclude any Electro before the 4 as they have those silly push buttons for the drawbars. The whole appeal of having an Electro is to grab a control and tweak live - hammond sounds especially. So I'd draw the line there.

Obviously, ymmv.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Guido3 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:14 am

Dave, I agree.

Price wise, a new 6D - £1295
So IMHO a s/h 5D around £900-1000 and a s/h 4D £800-£900. An Electro 2 should be around £500.

Crazy prices. I’m going to sit and wait it out. I never pay over the odds for gear.
Guido3
Regular

Postby Fortunecookie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Secondhand prices are just getting beyond a Joke now,I see there's a Roland JD990 in the SOS ads,priced at £900,I mean c'mon who is realistically going to pay that much for one of those???Even with expansion boards sensible price would be £450 Max.

The Prices for these things are starting to creep up to there original RRP when New!!!!Its no wonder many of the Items that were once in abundance are starting to dry up...if these Instruments were so desirable and worth such prices wouldn't everybody be listing theirs!!!or are these greedy sellers thinking that they can inflate there true value because there aren't many listed?I'm thinking theres a new generation of hardware collectors who are just naive to realistic values!!I've seen plenty of those plonkers who keep listing things again and again,ebay is rife with them...when does the light bulb come on.....the fact you've not sold it speaks volumes!!
Fortunecookie
New here

Postby The Elf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Am I the only one here that's had a near 100% experience with eBay, then? I've had a couple of time-wasters as a seller, but as a buyer I've done really well! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

PreviousNext