You are here

Roland fa 08 vs yamaha modx 8

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Roland fa 08 vs yamaha modx 8

Postby rakslone » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Hello, I am not an expert. Need some help to decide about purchasing a workstation. The 2 I have shortlisted at the roland fa 08 and Yamaha modx 88 keys. Both kind of in the same price range. Looking for something that has a nicer realistic piano sound. The Yamaha one does have a touchscreen which roland doesn't, but I guess that's not too big of a deal!!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
rakslone

Re: Roland fa 08 vs yamaha modx 8

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 am

I was playing a MODX earlier this evening at a friends house but I've never laid hands on a FA08.

From a quick audition on Youtube they seem to be in the same ballpark when it comes to piano sounds so I think it's really a matter of which you prefer. From the videos below I prefer the FA08 sound myself but it's all very subjective.

FA08: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86K50ipGnA
MODX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teXwbOHaI88

Both have sample based sounds on board, but one thing that the MODX has that the FA doesn't is the FM synthesis engine (8 operators) - this may or may not feature in your reckoning but it does sound really nice.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend you read the SOS reviews of both:

FA08: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-fa08
MODX: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-modx
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Guido3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:45 am

The MODX isn’t a workstation. There is no multitrack sequencer on board. You may be better off looking at a MOXF which Inbelieve is a cutdown version of the Motif XF.

If you can get away without 88 keys and can make do with a 61 note, you could pick up a 2nd hand full fat Motif XF6 if you look around.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:47 am

I think the 8 octave selection and piano sound reference shows a strong desire for a weighted keyboard.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:43 am

Guido3 wrote:The MODX isn’t a workstation. There is no multitrack sequencer on board.

Actually, there is a multitrack sequencer on the MODX (up to 128 songs sharing a total of approx. 130,000 events)... it's just that Yamaha call it the Performance Recorder and it's geared around performances as opposed to discrete independent tracks.

It has 16 MIDI tracks, a tempo track and a scene track and supports real-time replace, overdub and punch in/out. It also supports recording arpeggiators.

However as there are no facilities for any editing at all I agree the MODX is not a workstation so it may be overly limited without being driven from an external system.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Some people like the FA08 and it really does represent exceptional value for money. But I'm not a fan. To me it just seems like it's built very much to a pricepoint. The MODX is quite plastic, but seems ok.

There is also the Korg Krome 88 to consider. That certainly is a workstation with a decent piano sound, weighted keys and a sequencer. And around the same price.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Dave B wrote:There is also the Korg Krome 88 to consider. That certainly is a workstation with a decent piano sound, weighted keys and a sequencer. And around the same price.

Good call Dave - I'd second this also. The 88-key Krome is currently £200 cheaper than the FA08 on GAK (and in fact slightly cheaper than the MODX 76-key non-weighted version as well).

Piano sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ft87AzQs5c
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:55 am

People still buy workstations?
Zukan

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Some people actually go out and perform!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Zukan wrote:People still buy workstations?

Although the workflow has evolved somewhat since the days where I did absolutely everything in sequencers, as long as proper workstations are available, new or old, I'll always have at least one, and preferably a second as a backup!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby rakslone » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:50 am

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Really appreciate it. I think I may zero it down between the Roland and Korg. Need to listen to the sounds a bit more. Have done that for Roland and liked it, but haven't done that for Korg. All of them looks pretty good at more or less similar price points. Hope learing is not too hard and there are videos around.
rakslone

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 am

If the Korg Krome is remotely as good as its bigger brother, the Kronos (some of us have Kronoses here), then I'd say that'll be a no-brainer if you need a workstation. The sequencer and editing facilities on the Krome are in a whole different league to either the MODX or the FA08 and as far as sounds go, no worries on that front either. It's only got a single sample-based synthesis engine (as opposed to the 9 different engines offered by the Kronos) but Korg are extremely good at that ;)

There is no review of the Krome on SOS that I can find but there is a good overview here, and they have a lot of good things to say about the sequencer as well as the piano sounds it comes with: https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/korg-k ... n-reviewed

If you're in the UK then GAK are offering some great prices on it at the moment too: https://www.gak.co.uk/en/korg-krome-88- ... tion/73967
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby dannyrichardson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:20 pm

I honestly love the FA 08. However, I run it as a MIDI controller live and use it 16 pads. The key-bed is amazing for the price-point IMO. To me, the key-bed for a workstation is going to be one of the most important parts. I think MIDI controllers are starting to dominate when it comes to live-performance.

I found this super in-depth review of the FA 08 that helped me when I was looking last year. It breaks down what it can do vs the other top workstations.

Hope this helps: https://keyboardkraze.com/roland-fantom ... rs-review/
dannyrichardson