You are here

Restoring the factory sounds to a Korg M1 keyboard

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Restoring the factory sounds to a Korg M1 keyboard

Postby John Reilly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to restore the factory sounds to my Korg M1 after replacing the internal battery. I am using MIDI OX software and a Trixes USB to Midi converter. I have tried every piece of advice I can find on the internet and yet the keyboard will not receive the data. I have:

Set Excl to ENA so that the M1 can receive SysEx Data.
Disabled all memory protects.
Set Global MIDI Channel to 1.
Set the Clock Source to EXT.
Set Memory mode to 100/100/4400.
Set the MIDI device to USB20MIDI for input and output in MIDI OX.
Enlarged the low level buffers to 1024 or 4096 and the delay to >100ms.

Everything seems to work at the MIDI OX end and the USB to MIDI converter seems to be transmitting but the keyboard is still not receiving??? Can anyone help???
John Reilly

Re: Restoring the factory sounds to a Korg M1 keyboard

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi John, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Offhand, you do seem to be doing everything correct, using the same technique that I used to with my Korg M1. Way back in SOS June 2002 I recommended the following sysex settings for the Korg Wavestation when using MIDIOX:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... techniques

"If you have any control over SysEx download parameters in your music utility, you can tweak the download speed to guarantee reliable results, which will avoid the possible sound corruption mentioned earlier. I use the excellent MIDIOX (http://www.midiox.com) utility on my PC for general-purpose SysEx transfers, and this can have various of its SysEx parameters tweaked. It makes sense to configure its low-level input and output buffers to cope with a total file size of more than 207K, so I set them to 64 buffers of 512 bytes.

However, after spending several hours experimenting, I discovered that the most important parameter to change is Delay After F7, which determines the length of pause between each main block of data — Patch, Performance, and Wavesequence — in a bank send. In my system, raising this to 400ms resulted in a reliable send every time, and far less frustration."

If these settings don't help you, my next check would be the Trixes USB to Midi converter, since some MIDI interfaces don't deal with sysex data very well. If you can borrow another interface from a friend you should be able to confirm this one way or the other.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker