You are here

Looking for a synth sound / VST patch

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Looking for a synth sound / VST patch

Postby aleque » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Hello

Can someone please tell me what sound is playing in this video right after "Are you haunted?":

https://youtu.be/oag0xUV52j0?t=55

It sounds so familiar, but I can't quite place it, where I heard it before. Maybe in Spectrasonic's Atmosphere VST?
aleque
New here

Re: Looking for a synth sound / VST patch

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:35 pm

It's just a fairly generic synth string/pad sound.

There's very little particularly unique about it...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby aleque » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Mind sharing some info on how I can re-create it?
aleque
New here

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Close down the filter, use long envelope times... It's pretty simple. If you really have no synth knowledge then browse for any kind of spacey/stringy pad sound as a starting point and turn down the filter frequency control.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:36 pm

Put a generic synth string sound through a low-pass filter. Start with the filter wide open and then reduce the frequency cutoff until the brightness is noticeably reduced. That should get you most of the way there.

Depending on the patch you start with you may also need to slow down the attack portion of the amplitude envelope so that the sound 'fades in' as you hold the key down.

Edit: Elf beat me to it ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby aleque » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:14 pm

I really appreciate all the replies.

I just want to make sure that we are talking about the same sound, however.

It kind of sounds metallic (and reminds me of a sci-fi post-apocalyptic world like in Half Life 2) - here is another video that begins with a similar sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-3pg7njSo

But I'm not sure if it's the same one - might be a mix of several sounds. The one in "True Romance" sounds kind of softer, though.

I also want to point out that this movie (True Romance), is from 1993. And I think Hans Zimmer created most of the original soundtrack.
aleque
New here

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:26 pm

Well, that's a completely different sound, a breathy/noisy ascending pad, nothing like the synth pad in the previous example.

The Wavestation has a similar preset called "Will I Dream?" that kinda builds up like that, but yes, there will be similar sounding samples in Atmosphere/Omnisphere.

This kind of sound is more dependent on the source samples than traditional synthesis... You could build up a composite sound using backwards cymbals, various noise sources, FX and pad sounds that develop over time as a good exercise in sound design.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby aleque » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:36 pm

Thanks again. I will try looking for it. Otherwise, I might try and recreate it somehow.

I really appreciate all the technical terms, etc. :)
aleque
New here

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:23 am

The middle part of that metallic sweep sounds rather similar to the factory preset Orbiting Probes (Voice A110) on the venerable 90s-vintage Korg Trinity, though I suspect it's not that specific patch in the second link you posted, though a slightly modified version of it could be involved in there somewhere if it's layered.

You might find that processing a significantly slowed down version of the tail of a ride cymbal sample gets you somewhere in the right direction though that to my ears would be more like the first and third 'notes' of that metallic intro with the Korg sound being the second.

I've just doodled a few different pitches to illustrate - here's the mp3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ikChM ... sp=sharing
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.